Reviews for The Comfort of Lies
TheLovethief chapter 5 . 2/25/2017
Wonderful story, so sad, and very insightful. Thank you for sharing :) I especially like the final chapter, the way Athos reflects on their relationship, how it has already been fractured during that unfortunate comeback of Marsac. Your style is very ... hm ... immediate, there's hardly room to catch a breath because one intense scene follows the other. I very much enjoyed your story :)
GoGirl212 chapter 5 . 12/3/2016
I never could really by the end of Season 2 . . . and this just helped everything fall into place. There is an absolute brutality to how they treat each other emotionally that parallels what they inflict on each other physically. The rift between them is unmendable but I loved that you also found it to be transformational. Their brotherhood itself is the foundation and while the house may burn down, the foundation will never falter. Terrific story.
MJVictoria chapter 5 . 9/7/2016
Beautiful story, both heartbreaking and very perceptive. The fact that Athos has accepted that Aramis will eventually leave earlier than the others helps explain how easily he let him go at the end of S2. I love Athos&Aramis, and the way you write their relationship, how they get each other and accept what's coming even though it's hard. Extremely well written as well, as always!
Guest chapter 5 . 9/4/2016
I love this whole story. A bit sad in the end but I doubt you could of written it any other is so much depth to each one of these characters and you do them quite well :)
GingietheSnap chapter 5 . 9/2/2016
A very poignant last chapter, so much so that I am left in tears. I am enamored with Aramis, warts and all. Porthos, in my opinion, loves on a more simplified plane. D'artagnan is perhaps still young. Athos just bothers me. It is not your writing. It is the character of Athos as presented in the show, which you capture beautifully. To me he is somewhat unforgiving of Aramis's mistakes yet who was blind to his brother's unsavory personality, which led to his death, and who hanged his wife. Athos! Perhaps because he cannot forgive himself, he cannot forgive others.

Be that as it may, you wrote a terrific story.
Guest chapter 5 . 9/1/2016
This was intense, and so well written. In five chapters you kept me riveted! Your final chapter was difficult, but it all made sense. I'm a sucker for happy endings, and feel for Aramis. I look forward to seeing more of your work, as you are talented writer. Thank you.
Issai chapter 5 . 8/30/2016
I loved it! Thank you for this ending.
I loved the way Athos cared for Aramis and was worried for him.
There was something suicidical in Aramis' carelessness about his own wounds. Hm... Athos gave him a wound through his side...

Their talk about letting go - it sounded like Aramis was dying on him. I think that Athos had the same impression judging on his reactions.

Lady Solange could have tried to save herself by taking Rochefoet down but they did not have the opportunity to do it. Bad as we all know.

I loved that Athos asked Aramis to stay.
Aramis had good timing in regaining consciousness just in time to absolve Athos' actions.

I liked Porthos and d'Artagnan worry for Athos when they realized how badly he had been wounded.

Excellent story!
MusketeerAdventure chapter 5 . 8/30/2016
This final chapter was superb! The language to me was subtle and lilting. Athos' pained plea for Aramis to "stay" ; and then his thoughts on a world without him- how his loss would affect them all turned out to be so true as we saw in season three. Well, well done. Also, your portrayal of Aramis here was so achingly sad. I agree with you when you described him as a man behind a "joyful mask". I thought the actor that portrayed him was excellent at not quite letting joy reach his eyes. This was wonderful! Thank you.
Bookwyrm52 chapter 5 . 8/29/2016
Very nice! That comfort of their brotherhood amidst the bitterness of the changes coming. Also loved the little glimpses of Athos as a big brother to Thomas.
GuppyMckay chapter 5 . 8/29/2016
Excellent story. Thank you for sharing your talent.
wotumba1 chapter 5 . 8/29/2016
great Story, loved it!
wotumba1 chapter 4 . 8/29/2016
i sure hope that head start will be enough to get them to safety
wotumba1 chapter 3 . 8/29/2016
wow, now that is one evil Lady!
wotumba1 chapter 2 . 8/29/2016
that Mission is taking a lot more of a toll on them than they ever imagined!
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 8/29/2016
they really are in a bad place with each other here...