Reviews for Of Light Rain and Freezing Wind
Ocean's Nocturne of the COCA chapter 3 . 4/25/2008
The end of the season is the worst.

And the pit experience described here is like our halftime-show performances. Hate 'em, but they're always terrible anyway.

~emyx
Ocean's Nocturne of the COCA chapter 1 . 4/25/2008
I. Hate. Cold. Shows. They. Make. You're. Playing. Level. Fall. Half. A. Million. Levels.

...rawr.

~emyx
LoSvuCiCjB chapter 3 . 10/2/2007
I liked your story. I'm taking it as a true story. I don't really like nonfiction, but this was good. That may just be because it was a band story of that it started out with Pit POV and then Drummer POV. [I'm Pit Cymbals]
Flashryan chapter 1 . 8/6/2005
wow, it seems every pit goes through something like this. But for us, it wasn't cold it was hot as heck. Not to mention we practiced our hearts out to play our 4 mallets at the same time. Not to mention at 200bpm. But the point is is trying to play that run when your hands are all bloody from the rubbing of the mallet shaft on my fingers. Everyone of our vibes and marimbas could barely play our runs because our hands were too slick from the blood leaving our hands. So I can relate to what your pit has felt.
CelestialDreamer72 chapter 3 . 10/5/2003
Woah, I feel sorry for your Pit. I've been in Pit the whole time I've been in high school (I'm a senior this year), it can be really hard. Sounds like you have a huge band though. 5 (or 6?) marimba players? we only have 1 marimba. and 1 vibraphone (well, 2 now, but one's messed up). Where was this at? It sounds familiar. I'm from Texas and I remember going to a contest where the field was like that, but I also remember going to watch 5A and 6A bands during school. Was this at Birdville? Or somewhere else?
Sheila chapter 1 . 8/28/2003
Oh man, I know that feeling... Last year the Massachusetts and Connecticut states competition was at a baseball stadium in Conn, literally right next to the ocean. We couln't feel our hands while playing, and since we were the first band that day, we had to sit there for 5 hours in the freezing stadium. But it was all worth it in the end, cuz we got all the trophies from our division!
alyssa chapter 3 . 6/17/2003
State contest...ha..ha..ha..Now that I look back on it, all I can do is laugh. I go to Brazoswood and I totally loved your version of what the field and weather was like. We had at least 20 people fall in our show, hands were frozen, and our uniforms were soaked all the way through. We had 4 broken horns, and two fractured arms. We weren't in the stands to hear the results unfortunately...they were in the middle of announcing them when we started getting off the buses. But all that anyone talked about what how many people got hurt and about the "Taco Tuba." I know that this is one contest I will NEVER forget. Great story! loved it!

alyssa- class of 05

Brazoswood Buc Band
percussion chapter 1 . 4/6/2003
small world... i was there too! of course, im not a marcher yet, just a prop kid, but we were all dressed in traditional black long-sleeved t was so cold!
Dreamscapes Symphonic chapter 3 . 4/6/2003
oh man, your story reminded me of Thanksgiving Day this year. it was my first Thanksgiving game and it was SO cold. my tuba froze during the rehearsal at the school, then several times during the 1st half, then i gave up on it during the second half. the drum major's whistle turned squeeky and my director actually apologized to us for making us stay out there. i feel your pain.

tuba taco eh? i'm gonna have to tell my section leader about that one.
Tree chapter 3 . 3/7/2003
HOLY MOLY!

OMG

My school was totally there and I know EXACTLY HOW YOU FELT! Well duh I felt the same darn thing! And I can't believe they held it on a GRASS . Oh well, I go to Fossil made 14th place but I know we could've done better. Ah anyways neat story!
Esperanza Fuega chapter 3 . 3/3/2003
I'm too lazy to sign in, but great story! And now, after I'm being sued by Tony the Tiger.

I MISS MARCHING BAND TO! Ah well, it's March; soon, my friend, we will be sweating ourselves stupid in band camp!
confusedSUGARaddict chapter 3 . 2/26/2003
wow, marching band season, memories memories, *sniffs* I MISS IT TOO. good story, i can relate to all of you, well, I've marched in cold rainy weather and it is HORRIBLE(try NOT dropping a rifle when you can't feel your hands), specially since i was the worst person on guard. Our band also couldnt practice marching for three weeks cuz of some psyco killer on the loose and they wouldnt let us outside. Well, always next year!
Kat chapter 2 . 2/24/2003
Oh, memories of State.. I love it _.. can't wait until the part about the placements.. that was probably one of the coolest moments of my life.
Mari Lorraine chapter 2 . 2/20/2003
Man, I hate competitions in freezing cold weather. Being a clarinetist though, I don't have to worry much because you can't hear us anyway. But my sister Yugi-chan is in the Pit as a bells player.

Plus I did go to a Competition where the field was so muddy that on the holds, our feet got stuck. Not to mention one of our guards lost their shoe in the mud. So I can pretty much relate.
Lord Jareth chapter 1 . 2/15/2003
Kudos to the poor pit for the support they give the band... but nobody ever acknowledges how miserable they get. Good for you.