Reviews for At Arm's Length
enchantedsleeper chapter 2 . 3/17
Poor Koshijiro can barely keep up with the events that are happening xDD But I like that he respected Kenshin's decision to chase off the would-be students - and he made Kaoru head instructor ️️️ That was a lovely choice and scene! The flashbacks to his courtship with Kyoko are very sweet and touching. Aw, parallels~
enchantedsleeper chapter 1 . 3/17
I love this premise! How mind-bending it must have been for Kaoru to see her father walk back in after thinking he was dead And of course some things have changed while he was away... Hopefully he'll come to appreciate Kenshin, though it's like a dad to be protective xD I'm really enjoying the story!
skenshingumi chapter 24 . 1/30
I was so excited that you updated and now even more excited that you will continue with a new arc. I wonder if this will be the Hokkaido arc or some new invention and I look forward to finding out. Now to stick to this chapter. I really enjoy how Koshijiro’s presence continues to ground everyone in many ways. I have read many stories where there is a lot of angst re telling Kaoru what jinchuu really was. I love many of those but I found it refreshing and realistic that Yahiko would just be out with it. That seems in character and although it obviously upset Kaoru and the rest to talk of it, it was forthrightly revealed. Having Koshijiro be there to take point on the curious neighbors is just another way he was able to help defuse a tense situation. I did love that you got in a sweet bit of fluff that Koshijiro was studiously NOT looking at. I appreciated it. I also liked how you got not two but 3 dad relationships in this chapter, Koshijiro/Kenshin, Oidibore/Enishi & Hiko/Kenshin. I loved how Hiko commented that Koshijiro was able to reach Kenshin, something Hiko was not good at doing. I wonder if it will make him rethink how he communicates with Kenshin although judging by his abrupt leave-taking, maybe not. Still, I thought it was a telling comment and he recognized that Tokyo was Kenshin’s home. It almost seemed as if he was entrusting him to the care of both Kamiya’s with that remark. I’d love to see Hiko come back and stand as father in a marriage arrangement. After all, since Kaoru’s dad is there, they can have a more traditional family-family meeting. Of course, everyone of them is non-traditional, so it could go either way.
Thanks again for updating this wonderful story.
Aolun chapter 24 . 1/21
Wow ! The end of the chapter was so sweet. :) I find it very beautiful how you manage to describe and make us experience the emotions of your characters. The way Koshijiro notices every little detail... how he's always attentive to every little gesture between Kenshin and Kaoru. In the end, with this visit to Tomoe, he understands that Kenshin is ready to commit to his daughter and decides to let them go together, looking at the sky remembering his own wife.

You managed to fill in the gaps of the manga, whose finale seemed to have been rushed. You achive to brilliantly convey the feelings of everyone when they found out that Kaoru wasn't dead. The reunion was really sweet and touching.

The meeting between Oboire and Koshijiro was right on the spot. A short conversation, but it conveid a lot of emotions and hidden messages.

And finally... Hiko. XD My baka deshi is fine ?! Good, I'm going back home in my mountain, see you in a few months for your weeding. I'm going to bring my own sake, because I can't trust you to have good one. XD

This chapter was worth the wait, good work. :D
skenshingumi chapter 23 . 7/16/2023
Oh wow! I keep saying that about these chapters but I just love how you keep the essential story & structure but make critical twists due to the effect of Koshijiro’s presence. I heartily approve of Kaoru getting a whack in and I love how Koshijiro’s guidance helped to pull Kenshin out of despair to his answer & to identify a weakness of Enishi. I also loved that cards are on the table. Koshijiro admits to his friend how he feels about Kenshin & Kenshin admits to Kaoru’s father how he feels about her. I look forward to the return to Tokyo. I would love a nice fluffy scene with Kenshin & Kaoru but why would her father get to be there? Of course, he could be spying!
Putragis chapter 23 . 6/15/2023
Thanks for the update. I want to read how Kaoru's farher will behave with Kenji
Atarashii Hajimari chapter 22 . 4/13/2023
Aaaah mooooou
I feel like it was yesterday when I started the first chapter and now its all... So fast lol.
Actually... This is my first review in english (so please forgive my bad grammar u I can understand but I dont have too much -any- experience writting. And I didnt want to use translators u)
Anyway... I love Rurouni Kenshin since I was like 10y old. I've watched the anime so many times. I feel that I can remember almost every detail of the story, but This... I loved it! Its really a very good twist! It really could fill some holes of the real story and I really like the way you use all characters. You really know them.
I really enjoyed so much the Kenshin&Koshijiro interactions! He is the only one who can make Kenshin spit his deep thougts lol. And I laughed at every "violation" of Koshijiro's rules hahaha. And also enjoyed the changes in the canon moments and the differences in the battles. So interesting.
So I basically loved your story. Every chapter. I have to thank every author in This platform who still brings us This kind of gifts, and help to keep alive the fandom that I love.
Now I just feel excited to read whats next!
Will Koshijiro see with good eyes the form that Kenshin falls in Kaoru's arms at the end of the battle?
Will Kenshin finally ask for Kaoru's hand to koshijiro?
Take your time. I hope you're going well. I wish you the best of luck with all your duties.
Good vibes~
Ps: you have one more new fan now. I'll be waiting!
skenshingumi chapter 22 . 3/4/2023
Brava! Great chapter, exciting climax & just the right amount of guidance from Koshijiro. I like how you picked up on the instruction theme right from the start with Yahiko and then carried that through with the talk with Kenshin & finally with Kujiranami. I think you kept the right balance with Kenshin starting to come back to himself slowly as Koshijiro walked him through his own history. Having Koshijiro express his own feelings & press on Kenshin to recalll feelings other than guilt was an excellent way to begin the process.

As always, I look forward to the next chapter!
Queen Emily the Diligent chapter 22 . 3/2/2023
I love that last scene of the three of them. Grandpa, future son-in-law, and adopted son.
Putragis chapter 22 . 2/28/2023
Thanks for the update! I can't wait for their reunion
Astalina chapter 22 . 2/27/2023
I've been waiting so long for this chapter. And now I'm sad bc I feel that the story is about to reach and end.
Great work!
Heloisa D. Fagundes chapter 4 . 1/21/2023
I must comment again, because there was one thing I forgot to say: out of all the Ruroken fanfictions I've read, yours was one of the top best, believe me! It's amazing how Koshijiro Kamiya realizes much more than the others (and, he realizes even more than his daughter and future son-in-law - sure) the overwhelming passion that already existed between these two from the beginning, so much so that he creates the rule of "distance from length of an arm", lol - But, please, don't give up on this story: put an end to this story. I hope you manage to put the end to this beautiful version of Ruroken.
Heloisa D. Fagundes chapter 19 . 12/17/2022
I like to comment on fanfic that I read in full, instead of commenting chapter by chapter. Your fanfic was splendid. Several fans have contributed (along with the author himself, Watsuki) to the existence of a sort of Ruroken multiverse. And her version of what things would have been like if Kaoru's father had survived and returned home after Kenshin's arrival was wonderful. The only flaw here was that it didn't have an ending, but I imagine it would be quite difficult to imagine the Jinchuu arc, with all those events of Kaoru's fake murder by Enishi. Kaoru's father would have been very sad about all that, as much as Kenshin would have been. Maybe even worse. But the little you could create was amazing. Congratulations.
skenshingumi chapter 21 . 10/20/2022
So absorbing. I love 5he way you twist things and yet get the same sentiment and effect. You did have Oidibore make a cameo appearance. I wonder if Koshijiro will now play that role or if he will somehow run into Oidibore again. Anyway, I am on pins and needles for the next installment.

I imagine at some point Tae and Tsubame might be hurt or angry or both at not being taken into confidence. I am sure it would feel weird & terrible to lie about such a thing but worse if the funeral was really for Kaoru. And I have to give Kudos to you for that scar hinted at way back being the thing that confirms the reveal! I loved that touch, that the history and the pain & love help them find the truth.
Aolun chapter 20 . 9/17/2022
The end was heartwrenching. I was wondering how you would wrap up jinchuu... The part beetween Kaoru and her dad was perfect ! For one moment I tought she would make it. It's a good retelling of the jinchuu. :)