Reviews for The Lesser Dilys
Cassandra30 chapter 1 . 8/30/2017
Intriguing insight.
The Lady Arturia chapter 1 . 8/18/2016
Hi! So I was interested to read your Dilys story since I read my Chaser's one today :3 I rather liked the idea of having her watch over all the various heads of Hogwarts, but you've not constrained to just that and have added bits of her being in St Mungo's as well, which I thought was well done. I think my favourite bit was the second one, when she says [I am Dilys] because it references the fact that portraits have personalities that are based off the originals and aren't completely like their human selves when they were alive, meaning they could have a whole different personality as portraits if they chose so. I also like that you've reinforced this throughout, that she was Dilys yet she wasn't and that [she was her shadow, doomed to walk the world forever] which is ironic in itself since she is confined to her portraits and can't actually go anywhere else.

This was well-written and I thought it was very well-paced. Well done and good luck! :)
Lamia of the Dark chapter 1 . 8/16/2016
This is an interesting look at how the wizard portraits work and how one might act and feel after their actual person's death.

I never really thought much about it when they appeared in canon, but the paintings actually having a human-like consciousness but also being fully aware that they are a painting and not the actual person seems like kind of a cruel state of existence.

Ah, so she has more 'soul' than other portraits, so to speak, and the others aren't all like that...

This fic is really depressing. You really get a sense of how desperate Dilys is to be out of the portrait and able to really people even though she knows it's not possible.
hiddenhibernian chapter 1 . 8/16/2016
I love what you did here, and how you picked Dilys to explore the trials and tribulations of a portrait rather than someone more obvious (looking at you, Snape). I'm a bit disappointed it ended so soon, I would have liked to see her cheering the demise of Voldemort, but the ending you choose is of course a much better fit for the story. Well done!
stefanie bean chapter 1 . 8/16/2016
There's a lot to like here in this cleverly-constructed fic about an obscure canon character, though the points of view of her portrait, starting with its intriguing title. “Lesser” implies there is at least one “greater”out there somewhere, and thus the opening ropes in the reader with a peek at the original herself.

The first scene does a good job of establishing the “who, what, where, when, how” - which apply to fiction as well as journalism. By surrounding newly-minted Headmistress Derwent by the “ghosts of school heads past,” we get a clear sense of not just the continuity of the role, but also that the previous heads can actively help and support the current one.

A few tiny nits: the sentence beginning [“Tilt your head,” ...] might flow a bit better with something like [“Tilt your head,” said William the artist, in a tone that brokered no argument.]

[“imprint of her consciousness”] sounds a little modern for the HP world, especially for the 18th century. Maybe “her presence” or “her spirit” might work a little better here.

The second scene rose to the challenge of depicting the point of view of a photocopy (so to speak) who knows she's a photocopy. [She had never been all that Dilys had been, but Dilys was all that she was and knew.] This sentence conveys a large share of what it means to literally be a “clone” as used in fiction (not in a biological sense.)

The subsequent scenes give a lot of thought to what life as a portrait would be like: especially with the frustration of being able to move through the castle; to communicate with people, yet to have no physical ability to intervene. Dilys's frustration is palpable.

One small nit in the 1920s scene: “mood swings” sounds modern, whereas “swings of mood” may seem less so.

The ending made sense, if still very sad. Duty is fine, but a genuinely sentient portrait trapped in near-immortality might well find itself on the road to madness.

Good job; quite thought-provoking.
Summer Leigh Wind chapter 1 . 8/16/2016
I enjoyed the way Dilys changed throughout this fic. It was very well done. How at first, she takes doesn't mind being a portrait and takes pleasure in being able to talk to students and mediwtiches and wizards.

Her reaction to seeing Peeves chase that poor student and the way the realization she could never protect anyone from anything anymore was very well done. You could really feel for her and how awful a realization that had to be.

The way it turned her more and more bitter until the end here where she's so distraught at the idea of another war and not being able to do anything to help anyone is so sad, especially because she wishes she could just die, like the real her had so she could escape the torment.

Nice job!
Arabella Lee Smith chapter 1 . 8/15/2016
Wow! What an interesting tale. Thank you for sharing this moving and thought provoking story with us.