Reviews for This Mortal Coil
00000909000000 chapter 6 . 11/11/2011
I was recently reminded of this tv show, so I went looking for fic for it and found yours. Very glad I did, this was so lovely. I especially loved how well Cole took care of Mel. I really enjoyed how they are both slowly awakening to their feelings for each other. It feels like a very gentle romance.

Thanks so much for sharing! :)
Maggy chapter 6 . 1/5/2005
Thanks for letting me know this is "spoiler-free" so I could read it with a clear conscience...

You surely capture- no, given the fact that series is (sniffle) defunct, I think I should rephrase that-

you surely *define* the relationship between these two characters. (THIS is why good prose is so much more fulfilling than quickie-video. Give me your thousand words over that lame proverbial picture!)

Re those words: the development of Jess's character makes her much less annoying than I usually find her. Since I never saw more than the first five (?) episodes, and those only once, I don't know how much of her past you have created. I particularly appreciate the connection between her and Mel's grandmother.

Mel's illness, given her driven personality, is completely plausible. And, at the risk of sounding somewhat heartless, I compliment you on your use of the "topical" meningitis outbreak to catalyze (?) the story. The transmission was perfectly logical and plausible given the workplace of the Watchfire. (And- if I may add a comment about the "sequel"- perfect choice of disease and transmission there, too!) :-)

Cole's assumption of responsibility is so very believable... but what makes this story so excellent is that you have gone deeper into his motivations to recognize (create) a *reason* for his feelings.

As always, I enjoy your vision of these two characters, and their sweet relationship. Thanks for inviting me to visit with them.
Fluffy Cat chapter 6 . 2/3/2003
Okay, let's try this again. I reviewed once and got kicked out of the site...so here goes... I absolutely loved this fic. Blue Raven you have outdone yourself. It has everything; tenderness, drama, sweetness, humor, wonderful characterizations, and a good ending! Love it.

Thought provoking and inspiring. Love the pink handcuffs ( you knew I would!) Thank you for the wonderful, inspiring read.

P.S. I appreciate the nod on my drug/medical advice, but the truly hard work fell to you and you did a fantastic job!
pat palmer chapter 6 . 1/31/2003
THAT WAS A GREAT STORY. I WAS SCARED FOR MEL, I SYMPATHIZED WITH JESS AND VIC, BUT I FELT REALLY BAD FOR COLE. WATCHING THE WOMAN THAT HE HAD COME TO CARE SO MUCH ABOUT GET REALLY SICK AND HIM BEING UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING TO HELP HER. I WONDER WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN FOR VALENTINE'S DAY (COLE'S FIRST).
Cara et Pax chapter 6 . 1/31/2003
Wow,Blue Raven,what a story! I loved the way you brought together the moments of internal reflections for the various 's meningitis was a great plot device to bring this thru in a natural way.

You perfectly caught the irritation of a recovering patient who is sorely vexed by the lingering my profession,we know the patient is getting much better when they are .

Are you going to expand on the story to let Mel know what she thought she was "dreaming" about Cole talking to her and singing to her is what really happened?

PLease keep writing.

Peace and (((hugs)))

Cara et Pax
Satinette chapter 6 . 1/31/2003
Blue, you've done it again — and I absolutely HATE you for it ;)) . You get better all the time and make the rest of us look like diddlers. Wonderful, beautiful, heartfelt story. Love the character and story development throughout all your work. Particularly love what you've done adding history and substance to Jess in this one. The extra backstory history of Mel and Cole's "previous" lives as well makes them all so much more real. If I have one petty complaint, it's this: please try to come up with synonyms for the verbs "nod" and "nodding" ;)).