Reviews for This Tangle of Thorns
omnerron chapter 15 . 10/28/2020
Gosh this fic is honestly one of my favourite Tomiones EVER. This is my second time reading this and I love it so fucking much! I just adore this fucked up dynamic and you really did one hell of a good job characterising Tom. I enjoy this no nonsense Hermione a lot and using Jean as her motivation to get her working with Tom is really amazing because it highlights how important her mother still is to her despite this weird thing she has going with her mum's boyfriend. It was probably pretty obvious to others but to me that was kinda genius maybe just because within this fic I tend to just forget that she is of consequence at all lol.
in any case I can't wait to see those two murdering Toadbridge (lord knows she probably deserves it) and thank you so much for writing this gem it is VERY much appreciated 33
01010932 chapter 15 . 10/21/2020
Ohhh, this is such a good story, I’m loving it so far! I know it has been a while since you last updated, but I really hope you’ll continue one day :)
HDRH chapter 15 . 10/16/2020
Any chance for a new chapter? I love your story
Guest chapter 15 . 10/2/2020
Love the slow development of their relationship. The fact that he is getting in her head but she is still doing what she can to stay resilient, always trying to protect her mum , it’s incredible. So realistic.
Guest chapter 15 . 9/29/2020
This is beautifully written. Your writing style is addictive and I always want to read more. I love how vividly you paint a scene with short, simplistic but effective sentences. Very impressive. And I adore the way you’ve portrayed the characters and the development of their relationship. The way you balance everything and keep it interesting at all times is amazing. Cannot wait for an update!
KatyLies chapter 15 . 9/17/2020
I love this story so much. I love how you've depicted Hermione in a devious, thoughtful way. She could be cruelly vindictive in the books, and I'm glad to see Tom recognizing the danger in her ruthless ambition and arrogance. They are truly a match made in heaven, and I can't wait to see their relationship further develop as they grow increasingly bold in bed and in blood. I don't really want Hermione to be successful in framing Tom, but on the other hand I would like to see her prove her talents and take him off guard. Thank you so much for writing and sharing. I hope you continue!
Angie106 chapter 15 . 9/15/2020
Loved this story thanks for writing, hope you get back to this soon. And that life is treating you okay
Guest chapter 15 . 9/3/2020
This fic is so amazing, I’ve never been so hooked for, I can’t wait to find out what happens! You are a brilliant writer!
Lunaliceazreal chapter 12 . 8/19/2020
Tom you absolute piece of shit with a stunted growth. I hope Hermione does worse as she threatened. Also what would Tom do I Hermione went to the Police or if she warned her mother? Would her mother truly be that oblivious. Idk I don’t think enough credits are given to parents who would unquestionably believe their children first beyond anyone else. I guess Hermione must truly feel hopeless):
Lunaliceazreal chapter 10 . 8/19/2020
Tom definitely has a weird father complex
Lunaliceazreal chapter 8 . 8/19/2020
I wish Hermione would suddenly accio a knife and just show Tom his place. I’m glad that Tom isn’t omniscient in this story and I’m glad that Hermione’s intelligence and pride shows in this story. It must be so hard and convincing for Hermione and I’m curious to see what happens but I’m glad that Hermione, to the best of her abilities is trying to fight and I hope she doesn’t loose that enthusiasm.
Guest chapter 15 . 8/19/2020
Just re-read this whole story and omg I still can’t get over your writing techniques and styles. The way you write is so vivid, you capture everything in a scene so artistically, I can picture it all happening and unfolding exactly the way you describe. It’s the little details you put in, I can’t get enough
Lunaliceazreal chapter 2 . 8/19/2020
Welll shit... oh my god I’m so glad that Hermione is so observant and not oblivious to Tom’s weirdness. Can’t wait to read more!
sparkly space rocks chapter 15 . 8/11/2020
This story is just stunning in every way. A previous commenter described your writing as mesmerizing and yeah I really can’t think of anything more apt than that. The words you choose are always so evocative and unsettling. You never allow the reader to feel totally comfortable; even seemingly innocuous things (a loaded stare, a cut while shaving) feel off kilter and frightening. Which makes me empathize with Hermione extra hard, because I also feel compelled to see it through to the end. You line up these small, quiet events that build up to explosive moments like The Prelude(c) and The Hallway Scene(c).

And WOW Tom’s manipulative fuckery is next level. He transcends the label creep. He is like Monster Emperor Creep and I just can’t look away from the debonair horror. “A beast dressed as a man,” as Hermione puts it. I am super interested to know more about his past, but this is very much Hermione’s Story and he can choke if it means we get more moments like this one: “Beyond the shock of her dismissal, she felt that she did not feel very sorry. She understood that she had broken the rules, but for the first time in her life, there was no remorse. Not because she believed it was right to steal. But because she believed it was right to fight against one's enemies. The history lessons always admired men of action. What about her? Could she act?”

I’m just SO happy about this characterization! I love that she’s so smart and tough while still acting like a teenager and drawing the conclusions a young girl put in her position would. It is her intelligence, loneliness, love for her mother, and lack of life experience that draw her into his web. I have noticed lately that a lot of authors portray survivors of abuse as having fallen prey to their abusers because they were dumb or unaware of the danger, and that strikes me as bullshit. You show us a girl who believes she’s locked in a WAR that she can WIN if she only waits a little longer, works a little smarter. She feels she is rising to his challenge and that any suffering now will be rewarded later when she inevitably vanquishes him, all while experiencing a very confusing sexual awakening. (I love her fantasies of chopping off his fingers and then hiding them under her pillow. That contrast of brutality and childishness is just … it’s real good.)

Her small victories (the glass in the carpet, the pub quiz) feel thrilling and addictive because it’s exciting to have an enemy and feel like the hero in a story! It’s also exciting to have secrets when you’re young, because, as Hermione states (iirc), before this point her mother knew nearly everything about her. Before this secret, her mother was only her guardian, now she is someone Hermione feels she must “protect from the truth.” It’s almost as if when she plays his game, she enters an alternate reality.

A moment that really stood out to me was on the steps of the school when she says “No, it wouldn’t have been the same.” and “to her great horror, he understood.” To me, this speaks to Tom’s ... I’m not sure immaturity is the right word? But I get the sense that part of the reason they “connect” and feel likeminded is some level of arrested development on his side of things. He very much believes his own game (“Tom was awakened by the thrumming sounds of a battle.”) Their dynamic really hinges upon their mutual belief that they can WIN this battle of wills.

Sorry this turned into essay lol. I really just came here to say I think this story is really impressive and powerful. You drop these lines like “Everyone thinks violence is easy” and “You’re already a corpse to me” that make me think YES that sentence belongs in this story and wouldn’t work anywhere else. I don’t often feel that way about a story, so thank you so much for sharing it! I hope you are out there writing novels and I get to read one someday. :)
Luna2315 chapter 15 . 8/3/2020