Reviews for Praise and Glory: Porthos' Tale
Felicity531 chapter 1 . 10/1
Just discovered this. It's BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you for doing this story featuring Porthos so very brilliantly:)
Hawaiichick chapter 1 . 12/15/2016
What a fun read! I love stories that show the life before the Musketeers and yours are the best. Love how Porthos "got" his last name.
sorrellkaren chapter 1 . 12/11/2016
I have wondered how Porthos came to be in the service of the King. The old man who mentored him was a inspiration, the thing he needed most to act. I understand how it feels to think ones self trapped and unable to do better with your life. There always comes the time that the push of the force within you must be stayed, for better or worse and you must answer the call of what if? Change your life in some way be it for the better or worse, just not more of the same. Porthos heard that call and though he would be no worse off physically, his pride was about to be tested. He is my favorite of the musketeers as I can relate to him in a personal way and he is so brave and loyal. He reminds me of what I want to strive to become. A better man. A better life. It is what we all wish for, rich or poor. The longest journey begins with the first step, he has taken that all important step. He will become great in many ways but mostly he will become accepted and that is what he longs for.
MusketeerAdventure chapter 1 . 11/27/2016
This origin story was perfect! Thank you!
Italian Hobbit chapter 1 . 9/2/2016
And here we are at the beginning of another fic! And about PORTHOS! I'm so ready. Here goes!

I'm very curious about this older man... a familiar face? No? I'll keep reading. I like his slyness, though. This is a fascinating introduction and I applaud how you've done it here... The little bits of body language, the amusment with which he speaks, it makes for an intriguing intro. *applauds* I'm thinking of Aragorn's introduction in Lord of the Rings, to be honest...

I absolutely love the line "he knew he was a hero." It's nice to see someone who's bold and confident, even if it looks foolish.

Oh, this young, precious Porthos hurts my heart... with his patron saint of lost causes (how does that even work, really? With God, no one is a lost cause!) and repeating some dingbat priest who says that they must be content where God places them... hogwash! God wants us to have the desires of our hearts! I like this old man, telling him what some priest clearly doesn't want him to hear... it steams my broccoli to think that he isn't always allowed at Mass. RUDE.

Augh, I love hearing about Porthos's background, and it makes me mad to think that racism is part of what he sees as keeping him from his goals... but this stranger is a good, good influence. He is not just a skin color or a run-down part of town. He is Porthos, a smart young man of great stature who will make something of himself!

I'm going to sandwich a critique into the middle of this here... I've noticed that you have a tendency to separate a phrase into its own paragraph for impact, and while that is good and fine and effective, it is only so in small doses. Doing it two or three times in a row, or every few paragraphs, even, kills the power of what you're trying to do and actually makes the impact feel fake. You can't force impact like that all the time; it flattens everything. It's okay to thread powerful sentences together in a paragraph, too; use this tool sparingly, and it will yield better results! There are a lot of places here where I feel like you could have kept everything in one paragraph, and it actually would have flowed much better, worked much better... and some of the places where you did it also could have used some more embellishment that got left behind. I know the chapter is already over 5k, but honestly, as long as the writing is great, who cares? Embellish away! You could definitely have included more story detail in a few places here... the way it's written, especially in the latter half, it seems like you just wanted to finish writing and post. I can point out some places for you over Skype, probably... don't want to overwhelm you with critique when I would rather shower you with praises! ;)

And onward. I'm mad that they looked at his teeth... that's so... did they do that to anyone ELSE? That's seriously such a slave trader thing to do that it makes me so mad. *looks over at oversteamed broccoli*

I love this beginning... a younger, more hapless, very innocent-seeming version of the Porthos I know and love, but still very much Porthos. Ready for his praise and glory... two things that he loves very much. I loved that you kept repeating that. It's something he didn't realize he longed for until he heard someone say it, and now he's on his mission! Well, what a change this will bring to his life. He'll certainly get what he's looking for!
Meysun chapter 1 . 8/21/2016
Oh I am sorry it took me so long (blame work : data analyzed, plan made, article read, questionary submitted, I am finally able to sit down for a few minutes)!
And I apologize in advance if this review is not as long or deep as my usual... First because I do not know the series that seem to be really far away from Dumas' world, and as such do not know if there are characters you invented or characters you used, and second because I have to leave in about fifteen minutes to finally take my train.

OK so this is indeed quite difficult to review, but I really like the atmosphere of all this. Porthos has just absolutely *nothing* to do with the one in the book, so it actually feels like reading a complete different story, without any landmark.
I really like Porthos, because he is sweet, and I really like Flea. It makes me think of all these orphan stories with characters really marked out, such as Oliver Twist or maybe Notre-Dame de Paris (that I did not read yet).

Then, of course, I really love your Swiss guy. He has a fine voice, he is kind, and he's the kind of character that helps Porthos' "coming of age" and "coming into his character". In a way, he reminds me of Aragorn in Bree's tavern: hidden with only the light of his pipe, then giving the Hobbits a nudge in the right direction.
I particularly loved in their conversation how beautifully you pointed out that the only true mountains Porthos knew were houses, and the only sea the Seine. We often tend to forget that travels were a luxury back then, and that the horizon seemed much narrower.
Then of course you moved me with Porthos unable to write, and wanting so hard to get better. He's going to climb the ladder from the bottom and that makes him so very endearing. I can only imagine how his friendship with Athos and Aramis will make them all grow. It is wonderful that a man "from the people" will indeed rise so hard.
In France, with the concourses (much later), there was indeed an ideology of "méritocratie" that is beautiful to see her. It has vanished now, but school used to be a social "elevator", and I think army as well. There is great material for a story here and I am so happy to read about it because it sounds like such possible adventures :).
There will be sons of noblemen in the army, such interesting confrontations...
And all the ideas about slavery as well - which makes me think it really pained me to see the men inspect his teeth, as it awfully reminded me of a slave market. It was a brilliant way to remind us of that, and I salute it :).

I also wonder what you will really do with the Huguenots. At least Porthos does not seem so very prejudiced, but they were awfully persecuted, and I cannot wait to see how your empathy and character skills will let us see once more that every war is nonsense.
[Oh I do hope I'll be able to visit the Cathar castles down there... even though I fear time will fail us. But one day...]

I loved the bits about Porthos' mother as well. I loved that a unique name used to be enough with people you knew. And I absolutely loved how Porthos became Porthos du Vallon. It sent shivers down my spine because I could really see the Swiss man wrapping Porthos in all his warmth, telling him to go on, to bear some laughter because it was worth it.

I have the tiny impression that Porthos won't see Flea again, as their tender scene sounded much like a goodbye to me... But what I know is that I'll read the rest with utmost pleasure.
Thank you for this piece - and excuse my hasty way of dealing with it. Much love!
Issai chapter 1 . 8/19/2016
Nice. He me a right man in the right moment of his life. I liked much.
Flea will be upset with him...