Reviews for Repercussions
killernooch chapter 9 . 12/8/2018
I love this fanfic
Guest chapter 9 . 11/13/2018
What's taken so long?! Hope all is okay for ya!
dirtd12 chapter 9 . 5/11/2018
Man, I wish this story would continue! I love your stories!
Aviendha Aviendha Aviendha chapter 9 . 4/28/2018
Great story! I love this! Can't wait for another update!
One comment, though. What you were calling "spears" a couple of chapters ago? They're not spears. They're pikes. Pikes are much longer than spears and used in formation to stop cavalry charges, spears are personal weapons not used in formation. The weapons used in the recent Black Panther movie are spears.
I can totally understand getting them confused, though.
Ooh! One weapon I can totally see the Vikings using is halberds (think a cross between a battleaxe and a pike, they vary in length but are generally several feet shorter than pikes)! Halberds are exceptionally versatile, and also have great reach. They can be used from on foot or on horseback - or dragonback, unlike an axe very effectively - and also can be used by foot out of formation against cavalry, even knights in heavy armor because of their reach and how they are brute force weapons like an axe or a hammer - exactly what these Vikings specialize in.
Also, just like they can be used against knights, they would also be really useful against very large creatures that are heavily armored and can *fly*. Even though the HtTYD films mistly show axes and swords, halberds make sense for them to have been using for a long time already, more so for the HtTYD Vikings with dragons than for historical Vikings.

Looking back ... why on earth do I know so much about the various advantages of medieval weaponry? Personally, I blame taking Dungeons & Dragons waaay too seriously.

Also, you described pikes as being used in two rows: they are commonly used in three rows against cavalry, if they have the people - chest height/house height and angled father up to catch the people, like you had, but also a row even lower so that people can't just duck under them. Though two rows are also used, so that's more of a note than a problem.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the meeting between Astrid and Elsa/Arendelle. Keep up the good work.
Noctus Fury chapter 9 . 4/17/2017
Thanks. Always glad to give suggestions or advice . . . or a virtual hand. I can't wait for Arendelle's reaction when a woman represents them. And Elsa giving them a glare when they show disgust or sexist thinking towards a woman having political power (Astrid), forgetting that Elsa's a woman and she's their queen. lol XD

Also, forgive me, but I don't remember, what happened with Elsa's powers? If everything's right again, shouldn't Elsa have control with her powers at this point?

I doubt Hiccup would've believed in the gods, as I'm sure he would've developed an atheistic view towards them since they didn't do anything for him. Unless he's playing with the Vikings' superstition?

Also, I don't understand why Hiccup is testing Astrid or proving herself to the men? Everyone knows how capable she is.

Also if he was going to send an emissary to Arendelle, wouldn't have been wiser to send Heather? She's the more cool-headed of the two girls. I'm sure some Arendellian men are bound to be limping due to her. lol XD

And one more thing (this confuses me), but are Hiccstrid just friends in this fanfic, or does Astrid have feelings for Hiccup but Hiccup doesn't reciprocate? Not that I'm wanting it at all (despite me being a hard-core Hiccstrid fan), but I'm kinda tired of Hiccstrid always being a couple. I've hardly seen any fanfics of them being just friends.

And don't worry about the mistakes. I forgive you. Writing late at night tends to cause mistakes. I should know. lol ;-)
Noctus Fury chapter 8 . 4/13/2017
I'm sorry for not replying in awhile. I've been busy and I've not had as much time in reading fanfiction as I used to.

This is funny. I loved how you used Astrid's Yaknog as a torture technique to get him to talk. Beautiful. Put a tear in my eye. :')

I'm also glad you had Astrid join in. Astrid and Heather are two shield-maidens he would place the most trust in because they're efficient leaders. I was actually surprised she didn't come sooner.

I really like Elsa's conversation with her rebellious lord. I hope there'll be a meeting between Hiccup and Elsa. Or with his representative (like Heather, as she'd be more diplomatic than Astrid. Or Eret can represent him. But I think Hiccup should represent himself, but having a girl do it for him would be interesting. I'd like to see Elsa's Council's reaction to a woman diplomat. Or maybe you can have the same effect by having Hiccup being escorted by Heather and Astrid, two shieldmaidens. I REALLY can't wait to see their reaction! lol XD).

Hope we can see more Arendelle perspectives. So far, there's been a lot of Vikings' perspective. I can't wait till Hiccup marries Anna in an arranged marriage. I want to see how'd they get on.
goddragonking chapter 8 . 3/30/2017
great chapter , love the way this story is going, keep up the excellent work! Keep the good writing and hope for more update soon can't wait to read more:)
The-real-dragon-rider chapter 7 . 3/24/2017
The fact that this is a more realistic take on Vikings is really helping to build this story into a believable universe. However, doing so, I have realized I have a question. Do Hiccup and Toothless, along with the other riders, have the same relationship with their dragons that they do in the movie? Or is it more "animals of war if necessary?" A chapter dedicated to exploring that relationship, if needed, could be helpful. Keep up the good work!
goddragonking chapter 7 . 3/6/2017
warorpeace chapter 6 . 3/5/2017
Tsk tsk. Can't believe you hid this story from me :P
I haven't seen any typos so far (great work) and I'm quite enjoying this story. I'm eager to see how Arendelle will fit
Lost it Never Had it chapter 6 . 1/28/2017
I love this badass telling of vikings going to war, but it's not even war to them - it's just raiding. A completely inaccurate (but they have dragons bfs, who cares, right?) telling of vikings but an absolutely enthralling tell tale of it. I wonder what Arendelles response is going to be? Are the Vikings going to find out who caused the winter that lead to this and go straight to Arendelle, or maybe the people being raided will turn on Elsa et al? Can't wait to hear about it!
Noctus Fury chapter 5 . 12/27/2016
And I also wasn't aware that you weren't supposed to include real people. That for real? That takes the fun out of well . . . everything. lol XD
Noctus Fury chapter 5 . 12/25/2016
I'm flattered that you did an early update just to talk with me. Really. You're probably one of the only authors I've followed that did that. lol XD

If you wish to talk with me, I'm on Pinterest. And I'm sure you can guess as to what my profile name is. lol XD

I know. But just be careful. If Hiccup has too large of an army (which can't be helped because Elsa was a jerk and destroyed all their crops (I know she didn't do it intentionally), so they had to leave and fight.), it would leave him vulnerable because large armies are slow armies. And Viking raiding armies rarely siege because it takes too much time and more chances of a powerful local army to amass against them and defeat them. Though, seeing as this is Hiccup, he'd have ways to quickly defeat the garrison. As a result, historically, Vikings, if they used large armies at all, rarely stick together (though there were exceptions like the large-scale Norse invasions of Anglo-Saxon England). For the most part, they attacked together, then when they succeeded in their raid/attack/siege, they dispersed into smaller armies (i.e. an army of 5000 separating into units of 1000 or smaller.) to make it more difficult for local armies to find them and defeat them. Then when the time was right, they got together again and raided another unsuspecting target. If they were planning on raiding for a long period of time, Vikings would build a fort near the river or on an island on a river or lake to use as their base of operations, and built it in such a way that the enemy couldn't reach them nor could reach their ships to burn them.

I wasn't aware that Berk had conquered the other tribes. Wouldn't that have been difficult because Berk as a whole, movie franchise nonewithstanding, is still a small tribe. Even with the help of dragons and even if it WAS one of the largest Viking tribes, the whole population would probably be around 500 members (including women and children), maybe more if not less than that. I'd be surprised if they were more than 500 or even 600 people. Historically speaking, chieftains would be over groups of a few hundred, if not more. More powerful chieftains MIGHT rule over around 800-1000 people. But most case, Jarls and Kings had the power and the wealth to rule over thousands of people. Berk would've had to rely on their alliances like with Meatheads, Bog-Burglars, Bashem-Oiks, and maybe a few minor tribes, and probably the Berserkers (since they might be ruled by Heather at this time since Dagur's dead).

And I thought the biggest Viking ship was a drakkar? Snekkes carry about 24-36 oarsmen and drakkars carry 60-80 oarsmen and about 500 soldiers (only for short voyages however). Knarrs (long-distance traders) are Viking trade ships and carry about 30-36 crewmen. Byrdings (coasters) probably carry about around a dozen men, more or less (maybe). Skeids and drekkars were pretty much the same type of ship. No offense, but whoever said that snekkes and drekkars/skeids could carry thousands of men were misinformed. (And I'm NOT ignoring the fact that Viking ships in HTTYD are wrong. lol) Even if you COULD fit one or two thousand men into one drekkar/skeid, the ship wouldn't last long in a voyage due to the enormous amount of weight that's burdening it. Also keep in mind that Viking ships had shallow sides (so men and horses could leap over the ship easily when they beach-landed), which while it wouldn't harm a vessel in the long-run, if it was burdened with thousand-strong army, it would sink, especially in a storm. That's why that the max of 500 soldiers is stretching it and why that can only work for SHORT sea voyages. I doubt they would've made it if it was from, say, Norway to Greenland or Vinland.

And yeah, I know about the Berserkers. Creep me out. Also keep in mind that they were also unpredictable and could kill men on their own side. Which is why they become a pain doing peacetime, and usually were often made outcasts and exiles for committing murder or other major crimes. Or just because they're going berserk.

The fight was believable. Though if it was militia then I think 400-500 men by themselves (especially if they were all berserkers) would've been enough, especially with Hiccup's brain. I love how Hiccup started training his men to be an anti-cavalry force. He should also use archers to the best of their abilities because they're perfect at sniping out leaders or elite units, or even using them to snipe out cavalry. Pikes and archers are perfect anti-cav, which was proven in Crecy and Pontiers by the English against the French in the Hundred Years' War.

Can't wait to see Elsa/Anna's side of the story. And forgive me, but Astrid's back keeping order in Berk, right? What about Heather? Is she with him? I think it'd be great if she was his second, just because they get along so well together and have intelligent minds.

And yes I know what probably is going to happen when they find out after the political union. It's going to get chilly. lol XD
Noctus Fury chapter 4 . 12/11/2016
You're welcome. I was happy to do it. You deserved it. And I learned a lot about the Viking Age so this isn't unfamiliar to me.

As to Hiccanna, I figured you were going to do that. Just because it made sense. And you're right Hiccup and Elsa would've been too complicated. Unless she gave her title as queen to Anna and left with him. But Hiccanna totally works. Two minds think alike, eh?

So did I get the numbers correctly? Is it really 5,000 or is it only a few hundred? I doubt Berk has a population as large as that. And your thingy title said 64 days later when Hiccup said it was 98 days.

Also Jarl is Norse for "Earl", so you just called the lord Lord Earl. In Scandinavian culture (Anywhere that's Viking) noblemen would've been called Jarl, or Earl. There was no such thing as Lord until much later and that was only in other cultures non-Scandinavian.
goddragonking chapter 4 . 12/11/2016