Reviews for FW 1945: Not Fish They Are After
spottedhorse chapter 5 . 3/26/2017
This is one of my favorite Foyle stories. You capture both Foyle and Sam so perfectly and make them so very believable as a couple. Beautifully conceived and written, as usual.
GiuliettaC chapter 5 . 9/11/2016
That dining room has been the scene of many a shocked or dodged discovery in fic! Poor Andrew. How it pleases us to knock the wind out of his sails. But you've been very fair: he gets the pie - so in a sense he ends up with Sam's cherry.

Love your razor-sharp Foyle, thinking on his feet ("It's at the jeweller's"). And Sam, tying herself in knots to please her man, when all she needs to do is "be". And how he sees and deals with that so warmly and so lovingly.

Favourite bits: Sam running out of "egregious wifely failings" on the third example; Andrew checking his watch "as if that might somehow help him make sense of what he was seeing". This tale has been an absolute delight. Thank you for this lovely gift from your imagination. It's made my summer!
Daniella Harwood chapter 5 . 9/5/2016
I like Andrew's reaction, its atypical compared to what you usually see in these stories, and yet very much in keeping with his character. A lovely, well written, amusing and eloquent story, thank you for sharing.
dancesabove chapter 5 . 9/4/2016
I cried... and then I laughed. What a moving scene between them, and I LOVE that they weren't even perturbed when Andrew appeared on the scene. Confident of their rightness together. A beautiful ending to a beautiful tale.
Bookworm Kate chapter 5 . 9/4/2016
Lovely story! Had to laugh at Andrew arriving like that. This was a very enjoyable read and thank you for sharing it with us!
Bookworm Kate chapter 4 . 9/4/2016
Delightful chapter! Loved the ladybug :)
Guest chapter 5 . 9/3/2016
Everything you write is so good on so many levels and always a pleasure to read. thank you for sharing and dare I ask if you ever mean to add to your masterpiece FW 1946:UXB?
GiuliettaC chapter 4 . 9/3/2016
How mischievous of you to arrange for Sam and Foyle to seal their relationship in an almost-looted shower! I'd love to know what class of illegality Foyle helped his source with. Anyway, this has to be the first "Foyle does it in the shower" fic, and you've come up with perhaps the most elegant description of an orgasm that I've ever read: "Sam's keening and Christopher's moans rose in rhythm with their writhing to a clamorous pitch, ceased in the deceptive still suspension of plateau, then plummeted into the depths of riotous completion." I love, also, the tenderness with which he steers her through the aftermath, and his wry dismissal of her compliment to his curls - "Wull, enjoy them while you can." The reappearance of the ladybird is charming, but you use it to such sweet effect by showing us his unreserved acceptance of whatever the future might bring. Super stuff.
katiek1952 chapter 1 . 9/3/2016
Just visited Hastings this week on a visit to England. Found Foyle's house quite easily so I can really picture the scenes! Can't wait to read chapter 2! Still in England and loving it!
Guest chapter 5 . 9/2/2016
Best gift for my birthday! I read all the chapters in one go! Enjoyed it thoroughly! Thank you!
fitzgeraldsmt chapter 5 . 9/2/2016
Thanks Wolseley37. Splendid capture of mannerisms and speech patterns. How nice to imagine Christopher sneaking up for a kitchen cuddle!
ds-MegAnn chapter 5 . 9/1/2016
Thank you for your lovely story - a sweet end to a wonderful tale. (I do wonder how long it will take Andrew to get over the 'surprise' though!)
Looking forward to you continuing to write new stories for my favourite characters.
flybybee chapter 3 . 9/1/2016
Such poetic detail woven in to the story makes it very rich indeed! It's lovely; I'm excited to see a new work and can't wait for the rest.
GiuliettaC chapter 3 . 9/1/2016
Mmm. Beautifully memorable. His teasing, the "weighing of the odds", Sam's earnest musings on the fate of Bertrande, and the way their separate reactions to the book highlights their different personalities. Then the lovely line: "Bright-eyed, she looked covertly at his long, pale, well-formed feet, which she'd never seen before, and decided she liked them very much." - what better detail could we ask for to describe Sam's pleasure? It's the sort of simple, intimate particular we all recognise from life. And of course the warmth and passion of their first venture into lovemaking. Can't help feeling that in years to come, they'll risk discovery again in that same spot!
GiuliettaC chapter 2 . 9/1/2016
Love the discoveries they make in this chapter: the way he's physically and mentally knocked off balance by his attraction to Sam; the wry good humour he shows in coping with his loss of dignity; Sam's gentle joy as she takes advantage of the situation, and emerges with the upper hand. This river scene plays like a baptism - immersion as the start of something new! And then the lovely bargaining, and the sweet intimacy. And the shock of nearly being caught in flagrante, showing a new, less-than-perfect Foyle, thinking on his feet to save face for himself and Sam.

Favourite line: "His smile slid sideways, betraying inclinations she'd never seen from him, that he'd never allowed to show in her presence before."
Also delighted with your expert handling of the stiff-topped waders fetish. ;o)