Reviews for An Immoveable Object, An Unstoppable Force
QQSuited chapter 1 . 7/16/2018
While there are some logistical issues with this one-shot (it IS fan fiction, after all), there are a few things:
1. In this fic, it's clearly stated that Root was not aware that the Machine was attempting to save her. The Machine, which actually had the capability to act on Her own (see: Thornhill Corportation), solely put in motion the act of saving Root. That is why Root didn't have a contingency plan. Root was not attempting to manipulate Harold, she was more than willing to die for the cause (she had said so on the show).
2. The story clearly states that Root was taken directly to OR where Dr. Enright performed surgery to save Root's life. After surgery was comolete, Dr. Enright administered propofol to induce coma. The body Fusco saw in the morgue was Root already in a medically-induced coma post-op (the body was shrouded in a sheet, there was no wound to be seen). Fusco did not arrive immediately at the hospital. Root was shot during the day. Lionel told both Reese and Shaw, at the still-active crime scene that night, that they "pulled 2 people out of the car. One in custody, the other in critical condition at St. Mary's Hospital." He then left the crime scene and went to the hospital.
3. The Machine didn't have Root's body cremated in the series, I followed canon and didn't have the replacement body cremated in this fic. Even Shaw noticed that the grave had been disturbed. Take that up with the showrunners/writers.
4. As noted at the beginning of the fic, Baby Machine was still in it's infancy and relearning upon the download from the satellite. Another fic I wrote in this series attempts to explain how Root was shielded from Baby Machine's knowledge. She was not aware of Root's survival, basically because the original Machine manipulated the data/programming/code to create a "blind spot" in Baby Machine.
5. Baby Machine, again as stated in this fic, is still in Her infancy as She is re-booting, as it were, and still in the learning, and relearning, stage. The Machine did not know, when receiving a number, if the person was a victim or perpetrator. The Machine didn't "make" the numbers, She developed them by prediction and surveillance. In an infant stage, maybe it was just a glitch.
Finally, Root no longer had a cochlear implant and, since this was not the original Machine, she did not have any contact with Her after She downloaded from the satellite. Root was not aware the Machine, in any form, had survived. As this Baby Machine had no knowledge of Root's survival.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/13/2018
I like the story, however, there are logical issues.

The fact that Root's alive is simply not believable, as is the explanation. If the machine and Root were willing to manipulate Harold's emotion, Root could simply have implemented the fallback plan without requiring Harold's consent. Furthermore, Root's body was obviously dead. It had a hole in it's stomach. Fusco was there and stared at it, while there was still a hole in its stomach. She'd need medical attention, and can't just be placed into the morgue.

Then, if you have a replacement body, there would be no reason for the machine not to simply cremate it. If the body was not cremated, Samaritan ops would take it back to their lab, and would doubtlessly confirm the kill. It's not like they'd just cut open the corpse on the spot.

Finally, there would be no reason for the machine to continue to lie to it's assets about Root.

Other than this, which admittedly is the point of the story, there is another issue. How would baby machine not know why a number is split up? She made the numbers.
JUSTIN HUSTON chapter 1 . 12/1/2017
ROOT LIVES! SHAW IS NOT LONELY ANYMORE! ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE TEAM MACHINE WORLD!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/2/2017
I have been recently rewatching POI, and just hit the episode in question where Root was killed. I have to say, your mechanism for making it so that Root faked her death was great. As a means to push Harold to take the next step, to decide to break his rules as he debates in the conversation in front of the fed in interrogation. It's a good reason for her to fake her death. Manipulative but a plausible reason. Thanks for the story
DJH1950 chapter 1 . 12/12/2016
Very well done- I've read the first 3 installments and look forward to more. I've said in the past that the highest compliment I can pay is I wish I'd written that. I do.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/10/2016
Amazing!
GraeLeigh3 chapter 1 . 10/14/2016
ok what you call a 'poor attempt', I call it a masterpiece ! This fic is great and do beg for a sequel.
It's true to the characters, got humour angst and everything we liked in the show.

You have ground for a sequel, like with Lionel ... and I like the weak side of Root ... she's a fighter, they both are, but sometimes it's too much. And Shaw is great in caring without sounding annoying.

love it!

#rootlives #shootforever
POI-Addict chapter 1 . 9/24/2016
Damn. This is so good and I want more.
I want the shoot spinoff to open like this.
Thanks for writing this piece and more please.
Ps: love the slightly comedic infused tone. It's brill!
stb chapter 1 . 9/3/2016
really freaking awesome
Altair chapter 1 . 9/2/2016
Great story! I find hard to believe that Root died that easy. It was a weak way to make Harold react, specially since he was the one who could stop everything in the beginning. Both, Shaw and Root, deserved a better end. Can you write a sequel?