Reviews for A Certain Scientific Mover
Yeahahsh chapter 2 . 8/2
This was such a good fanfic and im sad that I found this too late, like everything just hits differently, i hope you continue this fanfic its so good!
AcceleratorStrongestLv5 chapter 2 . 9/3/2021
Nice
David chapter 2 . 10/22/2016
This good keep it up thumb
shugokage chapter 2 . 10/17/2016
Interesting scene and chapter!
Guest chapter 2 . 10/2/2016
Liking the story so far but I hope that is the end of the power testing.
chaosrin chapter 1 . 10/2/2016
Interesting I'm curious to see how old she is, I mean it could be the origin of her meeting a certain someone if you bring her in. It would be great to see her joining Vista in the Ward depending on the time. But in the end I hope you showcase her characteristics as Kuroko, that have not change only adapted to Worm setting then again there's that OC tag you add to the summary.
Guest chapter 2 . 10/1/2016
Um, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but i think she did teleport pins not only into clothes, but into like joints and things? It's been a while since I've read it though, so I'm not sure. Either way though, like the story.

That said, there are differences worth noting. In Worm, powers are both automatic and hard limited. If you teleport in Worm, you are probably limited to a certain thing you can teleport, a certain quantity, for a certain distance. Second triggers vary, Taylor's range or Narwhal's power limits, for example, but generally they don't change outside of that or dead entity shards like Cauldron and post-GM powers.

Meanwhile in Toaru, it's more like this. Someone might only be able to safely teleport a body worth of mass, a certain distance. Given experience or external factors, that can usually change, like how Accelerator needs assistance after brain damage to use powers, or the AIM field being manipulated, or the Curriculum in general can increase or decrease ability. So in a year some or all of the criteria can change.

It's fine if you want to gloss over the details, by the way, but it's probably good to be precisely aware of differences and how they would influence the character in their respective settings.

Tree Diagram highlights things about why she was chosen to receive a premiere education. What kind of traits were singled out that put her above others? How did those traits develop, and how do these traits reflect on events? How powers work are key to many of these things, and likely are key to some of their personality traits. In Toaru, to some degree or another you work for your power. What does the character think or act like within that setting, and how would it change when the powers are more or less determined? How do they react learning of the list that Tree Diagram made? Things like that.
xbox432 chapter 2 . 10/1/2016
Ok, good job of showing her working through the mechanics of her powers. Seemed like the right mix of analytical thinking and stressed freaking out.

Will be curious as to what her and her mother's plan will be. With her identity being known her only real options would seem to be New Wave/Protectorate or fleeing town and going into hiding/relocating.
xbox432 chapter 1 . 9/19/2016
Hmm, a focus on a different character in the Worm verse? And one with a Mover power? Certainly interested. Usually we only see fics with Taylor, or someone with Powers far outside the norm, can't wait to see what direction she takes in her cape life.

Also, I think you did a good job with expressing, and leading up to, the fear and depression she felt right before her trigger. A lot of authors just explain the situation itself.
HikariNiwa chapter 1 . 9/17/2016
Raildex teleportation actually comes in different types. One teleports through the third dimension, while Kuroko travels through the eleventh dimension, which also makes her immune/"excluded" to certain types of precognition while teleworking.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/8/2016
There's a couple of concerns and an aside that come to mind. The aside first, the raw output of some ESPers are insane. Like, I think I read someone calculated that Misaka has displayed estimated outputs fast outstripping nuclear weapons, for example.

Now the concerns. In each setting, powers are superficially similar but mechanically dissimilar. In fact, they're almost diametrically opposed. In Worm, the power are pretty much preset from the factory. With one exception, a few people can level up once, if at all. There's also hard limits, again with rare exceptions. Also, they're pretty much on automatic.

In RailDex, it's the opposite. I'm not caught up on New Testament, but it's said many times that, theoretically, most of the weaker espers are simply not worth the cost/benefit, but could be much more powerful. It's interesting actually, ESPers are defined by a mixture of inherent aptitude, their own effort, and the resources put into them, unlike many fictional stories. Even further, the power itself often needs to be micromanaged with complicated mental math. There's a couple of workarounds, like the Accelachoker, Model Over 5(or whatever), and the "let's imprint accelerators mental processes on a bunch of children" black project, to name a few, but in general, if you want any badass skills you need to be able to pull off mathemagician stuff on the fly.

The latter part on limitations is important. It's critical on many reasons why Kuroko is so badass. If I read the Worm information correctly, second triggers come from problems unsolvable with their current power level, unlocking previous restrictions. There's no real safety limits I can think of for espers, and it's a critical point for one antagonist, that could teleport things at a distance.

... I kind of lost track of what I was writing, so I'll summarize.

First concern:
Worm:user friendly, gimped powers of (mostly) set strength.
RailDex:user unfriendly, unlimited powers of (theoretically) indeterminate strength.

Second: There's no good justification for a Manton limit break, nor for a second trigger doing similar. Much of her badass relies on not having limits.

Aside: RailDex characters are often either super geniuses or are massively overkill. Assuming the stated fact that there's no assist for powers beyond themselves, some of the mental feats are even more impressive taken on their face value, Mikoto being able to super hack with her powers, or Acelerator being able to reprogram someone's brain after reading the data off of a device, for example, or the one girl advancing beyond current scientific knowledge from a single drop of water despite having been locked away from people or knowledge, or even iirc knowing any language.

Please don't take this as a hate piece, I liked the chapter. Just worried is all.