Reviews for The Shaping of Samwise
Shipwright's Trick chapter 9 . 6/24/2010
Wonderful! I especially loved the little bits of humor thrown everywhere. It read exactly like Tolkien, and could very well have happened (except I'd like to think that Bilbo wouldn't blame Sam like that).

Good job! : )
Cabbeh chapter 9 . 4/17/2004
Oh, wow.. this is so touching, as are all of your fics! I love the way you write in /exactly/ the same style as Tolkien; I had to keep reminding myself that this was just fanfiction and wasn't an excerpt from the books, that's how close it was, in my opinion.
My favourite line had to be this: "Sam, I don't know how to say this. It's not just that I can trust you with the garden, it's more than that. It's the way you stopped Ted bullying the Cotton youngsters, the way you went and cleaned Bilbo's carpet, even when he was being unjust to you ." He smiled and shrugged, meeting Sam's eyes.
"Don't ever change, " he said.
Sam thought how Frodo had stood his friend through all this long year. Got him his chance as gardener in the first place, and believed in him when nobody else did. He remembered Frodo wading into Bywater Pool, in full view of that rabble at the Green Dragon. And now he was named gardener again, he had his place in the world, and it was Frodo gave it to him.
Suddenly, more than anything, he longed to do something for Frodo, to serve him somehow. If they were in one of the old tales, he would have knelt, then and there, and offered his sword! He almost laughed, thinking of the look on Mr. Frodo's face, did he suddenly kneel down there on the path.
Ah, well, he had no sword - and he was no warrior, neither, just a plain hobbit. A gardener. But all the same -
All the same, he thought, I'm Mr. Frodo's man from here on out. Mr. Frodo will never lack a friend, while Sam Gamgee lives.
That's just I don't really have any words to describe the emotion in this paragraph. Your fanfiction always astounds me. Keep writing, 'cause you are officially my favourite author on this site now! ;)
Pyro She-devil chapter 9 . 3/12/2004
That was definitely one of my favourites of your stories, so short yet so long. Ted WOULD do something like that, and how you thought it up I'll never know. That was sad about the dove, but I'm the kind of girl that would have beat up the bully myself and then mourned it. Cheers on this story, it was great.
Becky chapter 9 . 1/14/2004
Ahh, what a great story. A feel good ending, a nice plot, well-written, all around wonderful. I loved the cementing of the relationship between Sam and Frodo, how Frodo trusted Sam. The back story of life growing up in the Shire and before the quest was nice. And I like the idea of Sam putting in drip tubes, environmentally friendly and labor saving. :) Magnificent Job, write more!
Only Human chapter 8 . 4/17/2003
I remember this story. I really liked it the when I read it. You do a wonderful with Frodo and Sam. Not everyone does quite as well as you do. I just adore Sam. He's the love of my life, you know. lol

I just thought I'd tell you that you did an excellent job on this story as well as Sam's Rose since no one has reviewed this story in a while.

Thanks for all the wonderful Sam stories!
Broadway Magic chapter 9 . 2/7/2003
Placing aside the fact that i think Sam is the greatest character...

This is an exceptional piece of writing. You got everyone in perfect character. You tugged at all my emotions, which is a great thing for a writer to be able to do. Anger at Ted Sandyman, sadness, pride for Sam, disappointment at Bilbo, affection to Frodo...

Keep up the great work! :oD
Poppy P chapter 9 . 2/4/2003
Really sad to see this end, I am! It was like you took the best of the movie and book and combined them into an excellent read. I must check your author page now and see if you have anything else up. This story totally made me want to read more of your work. Keep writing! :)
Poppy P chapter 8 . 2/4/2003
I really liked the part about Pippin and the lanterns because it's more consistent w/ the book. In the book, Pippin is still rather young, not even an adult yet, and you conveyed this beautifully. Yet I like the way you've combined aspects of the movie as well, like Sam dancing w/ Rosie. Very sweet the way they comforted each other after Bilbo's disapearance. Must read more!...
Poppy P chapter 7 . 2/4/2003
This was an awesome chapter! I loved the image of Frodo getting in the water and helping out. And Sam's shock and embarressment was just perfect. I like how Sam's putting together too. On to the next chapter...
Samwise the Brave chapter 9 . 2/4/2003
Aww...that was extremely was an old bastard for a while,but hey,at least he meant to apologize but didnt cos he was was good!
Henna Gamgee chapter 9 . 2/3/2003
Wow! What a truly excellent story. I added you to my Favourite Authors on the spot. Frodo and Sam are my favourites, too! I love how you characterize them. I'm writing a story about Frodo's childhood, and he's just about to move into Bag End and meet Sam - you've given me lots of inspiration! My only complaint is that this was way too short. :)
tocourtdisaster chapter 9 . 2/3/2003
What a great story! The way you got into Sam's head was amazingly real. I really, truly enjoyed it. Wonderful job!
Daisy Brambleburr chapter 9 . 2/3/2003
Wow, i loved it, especially the ending! I'm so glad that Bilbo forgave Sam, and I loved the mental image of Sam sitting on a too-big chair licking honey from a piece of bread- ahh, sweet! You're an excellent writer! (how about checking some of my stories out? They're not as good as yours, but hopefully I'll have a longer one up soon about Merry and Pippin.)

Keep up the good work!
Aly Teima chapter 9 . 2/3/2003
This was so good! You must write more stories, it would truly be a shame if you didn't. I don't know how you managed to capture Sam's trueness as well as you did but the only time I've seen it done better was with Tolkien himself. I think that this does the "Rings" trilogy proud as a fan-work. You know Sam's character inside and out and you've reminded me of why I love him so much.

Never complaining, always loyal and kind, that's my dear Samwise. You even have the language, the names, the places, everything down pat. Excellent, excellent job. It's not overly mushy, only rushed in one chapter and I understand moving the plot and its like we're inside Sam's head. The very, very best part though, was Frodo's line "Don't change" *Sniff*! Lovely.

I just wanted to say thanks for writing this, it's a true work from an obvious Sam fan. Excellent

-Aly Teima
GreyLadyBast chapter 9 . 2/3/2003
This is excellent! Simply excellent. A very nice beginning to one of literature's best friendships ever. Thank you.