Reviews for Different Magic
SortingHat chapter 2 . 20h
The Weasleys are a good example of victimization being poor by choice then blame *circumstances* such as the Malfoys for making them poor.

Reminds me of Oh Liar supporters.
SanJose32 chapter 35 . 5/19
First, I want to say thank you very much for your story. What an exciting journey! In some alternate universe where Rowling never gets around to writing a book after Goblet of Fire (it was that interminable wait that really allowed the fanfiction world to develop), I want you to be the one to finish the series. I am sure the ship long since sailed on you ever writing a sequel (or two to complete the story through year seven), but you had enough good ideas in there to keep things interesting. The wandless magic, the transforming of objects, the talking knife, Harry’s growing power and his phoenix animagus, Cho’s chopsticks and the golden nimbus, more info on Gary Stone (does he have a stint as DADA professor?), not to mention seeing how you handle the two overarching themes, the inevitable confrontation between Harry and Voldemort and the burgeoning relationship between Harry and Cho, who surely must be permanently paired after that railroad bridge scene. What a set piece that was!

My personal experience with discovering the Potter universe involved reading the first four books in relatively quick succession in that long dead period between the release of the fourth and fifth books. Reading the first four books was such a joy. The first one introduced this charming magical world. The second gave us another brilliant story and I was hooked. The third was a declaration that this was a new Narnia and Rowling was the new CS Lewis. And then Goblet of Fire – what a masterpiece, Hugo award winning, combing genres, emotional, wow! But something changed, at least for me, in that long layoff. Rowling’s inspiration never burned quite as bright. OOTP was a disappointment of sorts with all this HARRY TALKING IN ALL CAPS NONSENSE. What happened? Tolkien did not suddenly lose the plot half way through the Lord of the Rings. I mean I still enjoyed reading all 250,000 plus words of OOTP, but what happened to the brilliant writing. It was like the football player who was never quite the same after an extended absence.

I finished reading the series of course, but Goblet of Fire was always the epitome of the Potter universe. (With Azkaban not far behind.) Perhaps because of this, I have remained stuck on the (now unusual) Harry-Cho ship. It made so much sense, right? She was the first girl he noticed in POA. Then in GOF it was just a matter of the timing being wrong. Although it took an unfortunate death to bring them together, surely this was something they could commiserate in. At least that was my thinking.

Anyways, back to your work, I like to think this storyline is somewhere along the lines of how things were destined to go after the first four books. And a lot of the things you wrote anticipated devices used later by JKR herself. Harry’s increased celebrity. His increased attractiveness to females. (Terrie Shire could have been the Romilda Vane prototype.) Ginny’s infatuation with Harry. Ron and Hermoine together. Harry as an Auror.

The entire story was great, but there were two particularly remarkable moments. The first was the story within a story from Gary Stone at the feast for the Heroes of Hogsmeade – the tale of the young man seeking wisdom. That was outstanding. And the other was the grand denouement that was chapter 33. I was a bit dejected going into the last few chapters knowing that the story was almost over and was threatening to end not with a bang, but a whimper. Where was the climactic battle scene and what of the seeming collapse of Harry and Cho’s relationship with not a word of reconciliation? The canon books always had a flurry of a finish but your story threatened to just fade away. But then came Chapter 33. The entire train ride scene was on par with the best action novels and provided a fitting close to a wonderful story. On the miniscule chance you do decide to write a sequel twelve years later, know that you will have at least one reader.
Love it!
StoneTheLoner chapter 3 . 2/6
Dropped when Ron also became an apprentice Auror. WHAT exactly has he done that would make anyone think he's ready for that responsibility? The only time he really shined is when he played that giant chess game during the first book. Besides that though nothing really stands out when you look at his history. They might as well be handing them out to everyone if it's this easy to become one.
Foreman88 chapter 17 . 10/26/2015
The school is attacked and no one questions it? What? Seems mostly like a story of romance with a sprinkle of plot on top.
OriksGaming chapter 35 . 8/4/2015
I honestly don't see how the story's finished. Voldemort is still alive and Cho and Harry's relationship is still very awkward. Neither of the two main points of the story are complete...
OriksGaming chapter 33 . 8/4/2015
It's a Patronus and the incantation is Expecto Patronum. Seriously, you need to look up the names of the spells that you're using. Almost all of the spells in this story are spelled wrong...
OriksGaming chapter 14 . 8/3/2015
You really need to cut down on spelling errors, especially obvious ones such as Stupefy. The story is somewhat enjoyable, but you are overusing the "every girl is fawning over Harry" cliché way too much.
GL chapter 6 . 6/13/2015
that was some angsty crap that had no bearing on the plot...if there is one...this fic is ancient why am i reviewing it?
gtski chapter 35 . 4/7/2015
Do you have any plans on continuing this story with the same pairing?
Tavaril chapter 35 . 10/13/2014
I love this story and I wish that you would write more if it, it has qualities that make it u nique and interesting and I like the HarryxCho pairing.
Ancestor's Dragon chapter 35 . 7/26/2014
Thank you for the story, it was a nice read. I was kind of hoping you'd go past the 5th year too, but I'll take what I can get. Great job with this story, I look forward to reading your next work.
tricorvus chapter 6 . 6/14/2014
especially the new broom!
tricorvus chapter 5 . 6/14/2014
Great chapter
rock on
tricorvus chapter 3 . 6/14/2014
Well cut me up and call me shorty
that was an excellent chapter
rock on