Reviews for Pokémon Go: Glitch Trainer
Anla'shok chapter 1 . 1/20/2017
Wow. I laughed. And I was horrified. This hit too close to home (I'm a functioning adult, thank you very much). The passion here, the stakes (ignorant people will say 'it's just a game.' Kill them with fire), the tug-o-war between the giant corporation and the players, and last but not lost, your psychopath I'll-play-by-my-rules narrator.
I love how you went all out. How you made this huge cliche of a gamer while keeping it entertaining and clever.
Mai-danishgirl chapter 1 . 11/6/2016
Oh, now this is a treat.
You really got down the exitment back from summer, and the chatter about the game is wonderful. And that ending, man. I love the creepiness.
ChocolateTeapot chapter 1 . 11/2/2016
This is a really impressive story! Beautifully written, with truly excellent, poetic and original metaphors, that nonetheless never feel strained. The details make it feel very real, great characterisation of the protagonist too. It also does a good job at capturing the feel of Pokémon Go obsession.
Farla chapter 1 . 10/31/2016
Absolutely love the rhythm and poetry of this.

[ In Pokémon Go you'd stall hopelessly, barely able to make a dent in your EXP requirements that increased by orders of magnitude like a diagram of the solar system.
There were voids between planets, and you could fall in.]

[and here we were, starving sleeper agents prepared to drop everything to catch 'em all, activated at last.]

[A church bell tolled, which definitely wasn't ominous as shit]

[No, I just… I grease the wheels, I prop open the hole in the fence that's already there. ]

[To be the best you have to be the best, or you have to make it so that you are by attrition.] - which is so sad, and underlines how the meta of this game is ultimately rather dreary, with only one real and so very exclusive way of winning.

The one complaint is that the final reveal seems too easy – it should be almost on the level of the mew trick, something one person looking in just the right way could figure out rather than something lots of people would try out of curiosity and plenty more by mistyping. Maybe some sort of RNG exploit, which might also be more compatible with how the pokemon spawns are controlled on the server side. Could maybe tie it in with [Missingno spawned on the liminal space between land and sea, on an environment unassigned to specific encounters. ] and it's something like a glitch where biomes touch or the edge between areas the game's released and areas it hasn't been.