Reviews for Ahern's Guide to Things You Shouldn't be Fighting
Boyd the Reaver chapter 3 . 4/4
Hey! I’ve just discovered this fanfic today, and while I don’t know much about the lore of your little universe, I’ve finished reading up on the elcor and was laughing my ass off and simultaneously terrified.

For starters, I just want to say I love what you did with the elcor as a species. They’re my favorite race in Mass Effect so them possessing so much ridiculous firepower and your ideas on how their doctrine works is proving to be a focal points for my own inspiration on them as well. They seem to be freakishly dangerous when provoked, especially the Lost, so forgive me if I seem a bit terrified at how dangerous some of them can get when the chips are down. Possibly more than anything, though, I love this because with how little information we got on the elcor in ME, I can actually believe this to be their own doctrine.

Fantastic work all-around.
Azrael66 chapter 3 . 2/26
Your Elcor are particularly awesome and I hope we find out more about them. They never went into much detail in the games but I always thought they had huge potentionsly and it's nice to see it being realised.
AnthonyR89 chapter 6 . 2/18
re-reading this, and the dead basically sound like the Fremen/Sardaukar to me. also, not sure if it's a typo or not, but you have the Turians attacking the citadel in one of Ahern's comments.
Dude chapter 5 . 12/14/2017
I wonder what Admiral Adhern thinks of humans on a one to one scale?

It feels like humans are normal at everything but weaker. And horribly outclassed at everything else which makes sense for your universe. And then suddenly there are monsters in sheeps clothings, such as Illusive Man, Shepard, and the Lion of Mindoir.
AnthonyR89 chapter 5 . 10/31/2017
now why'd you go and have to make Hackett corrupt? i liked Hackett.
AnthonyR89 chapter 4 . 10/30/2017
...if i recall correctly from the games. Clan Weyrloc basically runs the Blood Pack.
Thecactusman chapter 2 . 10/16/2017
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason none of the biotics are covered here? Aren't the glorious batarians supposed to be stupidly dangerous?
RED78910 chapter 6 . 9/4/2017
Always interesting, this commentary on how capable the other species are.

I do wonder though just what Hackett was up to and what will happen with him.
Guest chapter 6 . 8/31/2017
I may love you.
Janizary chapter 6 . 8/31/2017
We need an Ahern chart.

0.1 Ahearn
0.5 Aherns
1.0 Aherns
etc.

The list of things that are equal to a minimum of Ahern is scary.
The-White-Spiral chapter 6 . 8/29/2017
This universe of yours is just so ridiculously badarse, I love it to bits. Can't wait for the next episode!
DiamondDuge 419 chapter 6 . 8/29/2017
Gotta love Ahern, we've heard all these tantalizing hints about the hanar, can't wait to see what you come up with them.
NPC200 chapter 4 . 8/28/2017
OK looks like it's time for criticism. Sorry for the late review and to do this with everything going crazy in your life at the moment.

The kind of constant, "look how bad-ass this race is," has frankly gotten a little tiring. I do appreciate the analysis and world building but it's starting to feel like your just setting up more and more hilariously overpowered enemies for the main characters to mow down.

Furthermore the 'rule of crazy awesome' feels like it is getting a bit stretched. At what point does the rule of cool mean breaking immersion? Melee mechs really?

I get Krogan are hard to kill but wouldn't a shotgun, battle rifle, or a plasma flamer be a better solution then melee? Much less a melee mech! Why after centuries of warfare, mostly losing, have the Krogan not adapted to ranged combat? Is logistics and communication so bad on Tuchanka that they keep to the 'old way' of fighting stupid? Is clan warfare more of an honor based activity then actual battles over objectives?

I actually get the Asari Warpswords because you've explained and shown in the core story (in addition to the side materials) just how hard to kill a fully powered Asari war-priestess with conventional weapons not to mention the cultural strength of the symbol and the relatively few generations the Asari have lived through from the time when a Warpsword was a conventional weapon.

The extreme durability of cyborgs, heavy armor, medigel, kinetic shields, and barriers coupled with a biotic charge to safely and rapidly close the distance makes the Warpsword believable. An extremely lethal high risk high reward weapon for the most dangerous of foes.

Meanwhile several elite Krogan mercs are blown away with little to no trouble within the first ten chapters not to mention more killed by Sara while she was in the penal legions.
LifeIsAGreatAdventure chapter 6 . 8/28/2017
Interesting. Hoping you're not too close to Harvey.
Janizary chapter 5 . 8/4/2017
Scary Quarians. They feel like they'd fit into Warhammer. Purple bendy-leg space elf techmarines. heh.