|Reviews for Afterglow|
| Guest chapter 7 . 3/23
Wish this was longer
| Guest chapter 7 . 7/28/2019
Fucking incredible. I love how you extended the end of the game between the Konrad confrontation and the epilogue. This is a perfect companion piece to the game and displays Walker's mentality perfectly.
| reasonable-idealist chapter 4 . 7/2/2018
Know what ain’t fair? The fact that this fic doesn’t have more views, favorites, and reviews.
I originally read this story after I finished the game and I didn’t notice any major departures in tone, focus, or even character mannerisms from the original storyline. The plot flowed perfectly into one of the game’s ultimate conclusions, and I felt like reading this thing was well worth my time. Heck, it fit so well into the game, it could’ve been a DLC. I find myself coming back to this fic again and again when I need another dose of that Spec Ops oomph to the chest and some damn good writing.
Loved your take with the delusions and debating ghosts, the PTSD with suicidal thinking, the idle disturbing daydreams and visions, the slow-creeping apathy, the numb realization of Walker’s monstrousness in the dead city. Eye-opening.
I especially like these phrases (plus many others):
- When it comes at all, sleep is a dreamless nothing that robs hours and leaves him wincing at the dawn.
- […] when he’d abandoned the last of his team to shoot a dead man and call it victory.
- "You’d never jump. What you want is someone to shove you off the edge."
- Once, Dubai was just a big, gaudy playground with more money than sense.
- […] the soul behind them is something so wild and feral that he can no longer name it as his own.
- He wonders if they were at the Gate that day.
Chapter 4 is your greatest, IMO, but they’re all so jam-packed with well-timed details, relevant analogies, and honest emotion that it’s hard to choose.
Congrats, Unfaithful44. You’ve got the gift. Please keep using it.
| spadesthegreat chapter 3 . 12/28/2016
i have to say this is incredible, that game is a gem i always keep on my hd and you've take the story well in hand.
| such-A-pesant chapter 7 . 12/21/2016
This is good, very good. Would recomed to anyone and everyone. All the writing is really clear, and descriptive, it's just really good.