Reviews for The Joining - A Vulcan Holiday Story
Hades Lord of the Dead chapter 1 . 7/22/2018
SO warm and cuddly, thanks for sharing!
Greta chapter 1 . 8/19/2017
This was lovely!
Scottea chapter 1 . 6/3/2017
Thank you. This was so good about how many celebrations there are and how few we celebrate with those who really matter.
sunshine-kin chapter 1 . 3/30/2017
I love, love, love this story! It has been so calming and soothing just to read it. And the Vulcan Joining is such a beautiful celebration. I wish something like it existed in our world :)

I love many thoughts and ideas in this story - for example that nobody looks at Spock when he arrives is a nice twist, that everyone is so respectful of the Vulcan requirements of privacy - exactly the opposite what would a human want, but exactly for that reason it's a perfect touch.
And I love the idea of giving texts for presents, especially texts that would offer a perspective that one would not seek on one's own - that's my favorite bit. Again, probably the opposite of what would most humans want to read, and exactly what the Vulcans would probably treasure the most. (It reminded me that I shall look for more texts that do this for me.)

Again, you show that you really think deeply about the differences between human and Vulcan culture and instinctive reactions and it is a delight to read. I would say this story has expanded my perspective ;) It's well over Christmas now, but it still has been a beautiful gift for me.
Trista 3 chapter 1 . 3/20/2017
Elaborate story of friendship!
Inna chapter 1 . 12/30/2016
Wow, that's so great! I am feeling warm and cuddly, indeed.
CacTusLoVer27 chapter 1 . 12/28/2016
As always, an excellent fic with great characterization and a compelling story :)
Guest chapter 1 . 12/25/2016
Beautiful holiday story. Thanks so much for sharing. Merry Christmas!
Blue Norther chapter 1 . 12/25/2016
That was wonderful. Thoroughly enjoyed it...thank you!
celticmusebooks chapter 1 . 12/24/2016
Lovely story.
mistyluc chapter 1 . 12/22/2016
Having lived in other cultures, and experienced their celebrations, I can only say... Than you
Texas Cow Girl chapter 1 . 12/21/2016
Wow the description in story really draws you in, I can feel the warmth.
WeirdLittleStories chapter 1 . 12/21/2016
Oh, my, what a WONDERFUL story! I would adore this story just for its own sake, because it's so very well done and so gorgeously Trekkian, but then you've been so sweet as to gift it to those of us who welcomed you. I must say, the delight is all ours, in having you in our community.

This story is especially welcome at the moment because I had a hysterectomy on Friday. For various reasons I won't bore you with, they couldn't do the new, laparoscopic version of the surgery; I had the old-fashioned kind where they slice the patient from hipbone to hipbone. (They removed my ovaries in addition to my uterus, so I'm also undergoing surgical menopause, for extra fun and games.)

Having major surgery at this time of year can be a lonely experience. Most of my friends are concentrating on the upcoming holidays, so I haven't gotten the visits or wishes for my recovery that I would probably have received from my friends if my surgery had happened in, say, September. So I've been feeling isolated and forgotten. All of which is a probably a TMI way of saying that this little story of yours is especially welcome and delightful right now. Thank you so very much!

(I hope any of that made sense. I'm still on pain medication, so my mind is a bit less logical than usual. :-D)

Anyway, I loved SO many things about this story:

1. I loved the way Spock extended himself so that his fellow crew members could have their cultural celebrations, because Spock is a noble and selfless fellow, and I adore that about him.

2. I loved the way the entire bridge crew - plus McCoy and Chapel - put together as a close of a recreation of a major Vulcan holiday as they could, so as to make Spock feel understood and appreciated and at home.

3. I loved the Vulcan traditions you created for us; they seem appropriately Vulcan.

4. I loved the selections you made of the various reading materials.

5. I loved the idea of sharing dreams in a meld, as a thing one does with one's family on special occasions. I don't think I've ever seen this idea in TOS fanfic before, and it's a wonderful addition! (I'd be jumping up and down and cheering a lot harder if I hadn't just had major surgery, which seems to have fatigue as a side effect.)

6. I loved the tone throughout.

7. I loved Spock's thoughts about Sherlock Holmes and his cautioning himself against becoming arrogant and narrow.

8. I loved your recognition that Kirk and Spock are such close friends because they're so much alike; so many people seem to think of them as total opposites. While they do have areas where they are different, to my mind, they're much more alike than they are different.

I'll probably have more to say once I've had the chance to read the story again (and once I'm not recuperating from major surgery/on serious pain medication).

Thank you for a gorgeous tale!
twelvedimensiona chapter 1 . 12/21/2016
this is such a beautifully warm and peaceful story. i love all the detail you've written about Vulcan traditions, and the gifts for Spock really do speak for themselves! you've really highlighted both the diversity of the crew and its unity. despite the fact that this is a totally alien (literally, haha) alien holiday, reading this makes me feel at home, and that just goes to show how well-written this is!

also the Russian commentary on Vulcan texts were great ha