Reviews for Exit Wound
Violonaire chapter 1 . 2/12/2017
It was Igenlode Wordsmith who pointed me out your beautiful stories. I love the guenuine and realist character's emotion I see in here. I love the fact that we subtily see the obsessive and dark side of Erik that want to be loved and the attraction he have towards Christine's melancholy. The idea that despite all those years, Raoul and Christine still think at each other's and think about all those tales they would be able to tell each other while thinking it was just a nice dream is gently refreshing.
Igenlode Wordsmith chapter 1 . 2/3/2017
This is wonderful. It's so concise and elegant in its three-part structure - in the way that the end echoes round to the beginning, with Erik held in between, in the way that you've summed up each character in the space of a couple of paragraphs, in the perfectly-turned phrase with which each part concludes, holding the essence of each character, in the way that you have caught with such painful accuracy what it is to love at a distance. The theme of 'somewhere out there' as a constant theme throughout, and yet shifting as it applies to each character: optimistic Raoul sent out into the world, weary Erik with a miracle closer than he had dreamed, heartsick Christine trapped in a place she would rather not be. Christine and Raoul linked by the common thread of stories (very Leroux!) And the ironic poignancy of the idea that it is Erik's music in itself that rekindles love and hope... but not for him.

Your Raoul here is resolutely practical and untroubled by doubts or by lost love: he has kept his promise, he has no fear of ever betraying it, and he considers himself on balance fortunate in the knowledge of Christine's existence.
"She was out there in the world, and it was both a comfort and torture to know it...if they never met again, his life would not have been a waste."

Erik is clinging on to the merest thread of hope as no more than a superstition; he knows the reality of his situation all too well, and the discovery of love in himself is in itself a victory. He believes in the existence of someone he can love as another man might believe in the distant promises of religion, despite the dread that in him it can lead only to failure or disaster. And it is through unselfishness that he comes to his epiphany: the sad little singer is the one for him after all, because he realises that he would do anything to make her happy.

"there was very little about him that was worth loving, but he still hoped for it desperately" - self-loathing and the painful irrationality of hungering for love, all wrapped up in one sentence :-(

Christine's unhappiness is the link back to the preceding section here (just as Erik's "somewhere in the world" links back to Raoul's vision of "she was out there")... and we can see how her state of mind feeds through into her thoughts about Raoul: her worry and uncertainty about whether her dreams could ever come real, and whether this sort of thing is right, in contrast to his confident possession of those same memories. "She felt it all so keenly, and paradoxically, it numbed her" is a very vivid summary of clinical depression...

And I love the final twist of her idea that if such an impossible thing as an Angel of Music can come to pass, then maybe reunion with Raoul is on the cards after all :-p

"for the first time in long time" - typo? (missing 'a', I think)

Hoping to see more from you on "A Wonderful Stroke of Luck" (Arctic-based research sounds promising!); meanwhile, I'm adding this story to my "Rescue Raoul" community, where it richly deserves to be. And... I know it's a cliché, but I find it frankly incredible that this has apparently received *no reviews at all*...