Reviews for Take Whatever You Can Get
beege chapter 14 . 7/15
I read this story before (longer ago than I care to think about) and enjoyed it then, and the current local repeats of Gilmore Girls have put me on a bit of a nostalgia kick for the fic I enjoyed when the show originally aired. Although you nail Lorelai's banter and the funnier side of her interaction with Luke there's a slightly sad, serious atmosphere to this fic that somehow really works. For a story that was written before so many of the show's major developments it still feels true to how Luke and Lorelai were together.

Funny thing - I was reading 'The King of Practical Thinking' on AO3 just the other day with no awareness that it helped inspire this fic.
UA chapter 14 . 1/1/2014
Another one of my faves.

Thank you for writing this.

Shae
Ace of Gallifrey chapter 1 . 2/6/2012
For the record, this is the single best prologue I have ever read on any Gilmore Girls fanfiction, ever.
maramouse chapter 14 . 4/7/2011
So, 8 years after you posted this (8? That's insane!), I am here to tell you how much I enjoyed your fic.

First of all, I will admit that I have a total obsession with reading what I called "historical fiction LL fics"-ie, JavaJunkie stories that were written before Raincoats & Recipes aired. It's always so fascinating to see how people envisioned LL getting together before they actually did (a little different from the current fics which portray LL getting together in a different way), and yours is undoubtedly one of the best (and certainly the best written). There were even many details I enjoyed better than the show.

So much in this that I liked. Not portraying Nicole as completely evil (though albeit, I don't like her very much, you managed to make her a 3-dimensional character). Getting to see Luke's thought process, especially his confusion when Lorelai finally admits feelings for him while he's still with Nicole. That you managed to make everything very tender, but at the same not sappy, and that this was still completely in character. The way you handled the Jess thing (How I wished that that happened on the show!). Adding the "I love you's" but still being aware of how difficult they were for Lorelai (and Luke) to say. Your writing itself. This was simply beautiful, and I'm very impressed with your ability to get the characters down so well at this point in the series (and how much did the Lorelai proposing thing crack me up in this post-Season 5 finale light?).

I hope you are still writing-not necessarily fanfiction, but just in general, because you definitely have a talent you shouldn't waste.
Rae Montgomery chapter 14 . 10/29/2010
This was a wonderful fic. I realize you wrote this long before most of the tv episodes had aired, so its pretty amazing how similiar a lot of your story was to the show. But I think i may have liked your version a little better, a lot less conflict and tension, and an ending that was resolved much more to my liking. Again, i really enjoyed reading this, and its on my favorites list for future re-readings. :)
anatolealice chapter 14 . 6/26/2009
I'm years behind but just finished this now - my first Gilmore Girls fic ever - and I loved it. So well written, so perfectly in character, awesome to have it from Luke's POV because Lorelai talks so fast I can't imagine her POV ever but this, this was perfect. Thank you :-)
shanj chapter 12 . 11/16/2007
this chapter actually made me cry.
shanj chapter 11 . 11/16/2007
brought tears to my eyes.
shanj chapter 1 . 11/16/2007
L in technicolor, perfect.
Zhailei chapter 13 . 7/25/2007
I really loved this story! You captured the characters, and the feel of the show, beautifully, and it was just the right amount of fluffy :)
LLfreak chapter 13 . 6/12/2007
i just love this story. i have read it multiple times and it never gets old. there is so much i love about it that i don't know where to begin. i like how lorelai shows luke the real her. there's more but i am tired and can't think straight. you did an awesome job with this story. kudos to you:)
minor-thing chapter 14 . 8/27/2006
Whew, i just read this all in one sitting. Its august of 2006, by the way. many, many moons since you've written this.

but i just have to say that no matter how many years ago it was written, it was excellent. just excellent.

you should feel proud and i hope you're doing okay.

thanks for a great blast from the past.

leah
chmelms chapter 13 . 3/30/2006
WOW! This fic was beautiful! Wonderful writing!
Gauri chapter 1 . 1/5/2006
This is one of those stories I feel needs to be reviewed once or twice a year, to continually remind you of how wonderful it is. Basically, this is my favorite story of any fandom I have ever read - I have nights where I sit with coffee or tea, chocolate, and just re-read the thing all over again. It's so beautifully written, and wonderfully descriptive - there are lines in here that you read and say "Damn. There's no better way to put that". So, be happy. Be proud. Because this is amazing beyond words.
Tale of A Lost Writer chapter 5 . 10/15/2005
One of my favorite stories of all times