Reviews for The Awakening
IstariWho chapter 3 . 1/26/2014
Ahh...thank you for the explaination about Gandalf being Manwe... I didn't know that one.
Hannon-le !
IstariWho chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
Cool! Nice story!
However, Gandalf is Olorin. He was a Maiar in the service of Yavanna. (This is according the the Unfinished tales, some of Tolkien's further writings and notes)
Hannon-le for writing!
graymouse chapter 5 . 2/11/2007
Lady -

I found your stories and wanted to say how much I have enjoyed them. I throughly enjoy Boromir stories and have found yours absolutely delightful and find a fierce pride in them as they exemplify the spirit and abilities of Mortal Man. He seems to be overlooked on a regular basis in scifi and fantasy.

I have throughly enjoyed your take on Boromir's learning abilities and upbringing by his father. He was given no choice as to what he needed to learn and be. But to be as great a general as he is portrayed he had to be frighteningly intelligent and capable in all aspects. A great leader has command, charisma, ability, imagination and intelligence as well as strength of arms.

Boromir never had a chance to follow any pursuits but war with Mordor ever baleful at Gondor's borders and the whole of the country looking to him for guidance and safety.

I find satisfying and gratifying to see Boromir expanding his knowledge and abilities behond the limits set him by Denethor, while yet maintaining the warrior he truly is.

I look forward to reading more of your work.

BenRG chapter 5 . 2/10/2007
It's always good to see your LotR stories updated, Morwen.

An interesting chapter for all very little actually /happened/. We learn a bit of Gandalf's nature in your fanon universe and we also learn a bit of the nature of the Numenorian humans and their natural abilities.

As always, your gift lies with characters. I could actually see the actors and actresses play out their parts. Well done in that!

BenRG's Rating: 7/10
Redone chapter 4 . 2/11/2006
Tuor! I don't think I've ever seen him figure in the stories about Aman; and yet he should have. It's nice to see him.

Poor Bori, getting too "wise"! :) The Ring quest has cut him deeper than I think anybody realizes, because he used to be so utterly confident, brave and self-assured, even if he was always wary of Elves. Give him a cookie, will you. :)
BenRG chapter 4 . 2/10/2006
Well I never! As Bilbo would say, of course. I do hope that Boromir remembers some of this, as Faramir would be only too happy to spend hours recording his brother's exploits amongst the legends of the First and Second Ages of the World!

Morwen, it is good to see your name in my inbox and it is good to see you continuing with "Awakening". This makes the events in your other "Return" stories much easier to understand and Boromir's ultimate fate clearer.

This chapter is a superb character piece and I could actually see Sean Bean delivering some of the lines to Elijah Wood and Ian Holm. ;-)

BenRG's Rating: 8/10
Celebwen Telcontar chapter 4 . 2/10/2006
Oh, a very good addition, Morwen Tindomerel! Very good, you got down Boromir's personality very well! Please update soon, with Boromir's choice!

Very good!

Celebwen Telcontar
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 3 . 8/10/2005
Awesome! This whole fic is well constructed and plausible. Everyone is in character, especially Gandalf I should think.

Update soon!

Celebwen Telcontar chapter 3 . 3/14/2005
I like the 'prologue' to 'The Return.' It's good, and I like how you made Boromir's charecter. He does seem to deny his Elven-ness, I suppose one could say. Please keep writing.
BenRG chapter 3 . 1/2/2005
Hey! I didn't know that you were continuing this! This is a nice surprise!

Okay - on to the story. Your portrayal of Boromir, and the mortals' unease with Aman, is well done. I don't think that Boromir especially could ever be at ease in a utopia of any kind.

I find it wonderfully ironic that Boromir now has the same degree of fear and uncertainty in his moral strength as Aragorn once suffered, and for the same reason. Isildur was deceived by the Ring, so Aragorn doubted. Boromir was deceived by the ring, so he too doubts. It took Boromir basically forcing Aragorn to face his responsibility to his Southern lands and the potential of humanity before he was willing to face his doubts. I wonder who will help Boromir will need to face /his/ doubts...

*Paging Lady Idril. Will Lady Idril please go to the white courtesy Palantír...* ;-)

This is a welcome New Year's surprise. Thank you!

BenRG's Rating: 7/10
Redone chapter 3 . 1/2/2005
Oh, I am so glad you are continuing it. A very interesting view on Boromir, and it's actually nice to see the magic of Middle Earth not from the perspective of Men, but from the perspective of the magic itself and those who wield it. I quite like Boromir's bullheadedness, even though I wish he would stop protesting and listen to Mithrandir and Elrond for once. :)
StorytellerSJK chapter 2 . 12/2/2004
I lack words. Truly. Altough this is unquestionable fannish it is so in the best possible ways. Ever true to the spirit of its creator. But enough butt kissing. :) I promise to be very hard on the next work of yours I read so as not to come off as some sycophant (sp). ;)
BenRG chapter 2 . 11/8/2003
I have been reading your Star Wars and LotR stories for... oh, the last two hours now, maybe longer. I am leaving a review to tell you how much I have appreciated all of them. I thank you for sharing your rare talent for characterisation and alternate universes with all of us. I hope that you find the time and the inspiration to continue those that remain unfinished.
alleymap chapter 1 . 2/21/2003
Well done. a beautifully written, throughly researched believable story.

Haven't read the Return, but this has definitely encouraged me to. Thank you for taking such an underrated character and highlighting their importance within the Fellowship. Boromir has too long been underappreciated, but his role was a vital one.

Again thank you.

Envinyatar chapter 1 . 2/11/2003
Lots of very interesting ideas here - I enjoyed it very much. However, this is really a review for the remainder of The Return. Ff only allows i signed review per chapter, and as you put it all up as one chapter and don't allow unsigned reviews, there's no way to put it in the right place.

Anyway, I thought The Return was wonderful. Very tightly plotted, great characters - and a very convincing vision of the start of the Fourth Age. I enjoyed the whole structure of Ranger society that you have created. It seems to me that you have put a huge amount of thought into both your stories and their I suggest that you take a look at the Henneth Annun site - you might feel at home there.

Looking forward to more of your stories.