Reviews for The Ruin of Men and Elves
Baylor chapter 7 . 4/15/2003
You always come up with a way to twist the plot about unexpectedly, don't you? The black widow spiders were an unforeseen danger. More lovely big-cousin-Frodo moments. And the perfect touch at the ending - poor Gandalf, though he of all people should have known what he was getting himself into, taking young hobbits on a quest. I'm sure he expected better behavior from the future king, though!
tetshira1 chapter 1 . 4/9/2003
Please don't finish the story here! I loved everything to do with this story and have come back everyday to see if it had been updated. Frodo make a great big brother to the rest of the hobbits. The interaction between the fellowship is spot on. Please write a sequel as its great to see some Merry angst at its finest.
LilyBaggins chapter 7 . 4/9/2003
I feel compelled to tell you that although I'm not easily squicked, I have a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE aversion to spiderwebs-not spiders-and so this chapter really set my teeth on edge! :D Yes, it's a weird phobia, I know... good thing I'm not Merry or I would have just died from infection...

So ends another delightful Budgielover tale. Oh, Aragorn was naughty, helping Merry get Frodo like that... but I do love to see Frodo lighthearted for a time. And the part about circling hobbits as Aragorn carried Merry was darling... I can see them checking on him constantly. As usual, EVERYONE'S personality was so well-developed and in-character that the story was another amazing read.
aelfgifu chapter 1 . 4/8/2003
OH-how I love this fic-tra la la!
Elbereth chapter 7 . 4/8/2003
I am sorry to see this come to an end, but it was most definitely a delight to read.

You honestly had me quite worried about the spiders in this chapter; how miraculous it is that none of the Hobbits were bitten. Frodo's reaction to the dead spiders on his pipe-weed pouch was simply great (I can easily see myself reacting in a very similar way).

Thank you for a wonderful story. :)
French Pony chapter 7 . 4/8/2003
This is a nice portrayal of the relationships between all four of the hobbits. Complex and deftly handled. Each hobbit has a separate, well-rounded personality, and the interactions of each with the others all have their own distinct character. Masterful.

And finally, thank you for clearing up a question that has long nagged at me - exactly what spider webs were said to do for wounds. I had heard of their usage in folk medicine before, but I never found out just what they were said to do. May I ask, do you have any sources available that you could recommend?
Natta chapter 7 . 4/7/2003
Good work Budgie!
Hai chapter 7 . 4/7/2003
It was a good story, your wrote really well! Although it did end a little abrupt. Will you be writing *cough* a sequel *cough* ;) I would gladly read more of your work. You did a wonderful job. I like how you portray the hobbits.
Azaaelia chapter 7 . 4/7/2003
I loved the ending, with everyone recovered, and one of the Hobbits pranking Frodo's pack! I could just picture a look of exaggerated innocence on Merry's face when he swore that he hadn't touched Frodo's pack!

I loved the scene with Frodo and Aragorn talking about war: very relevant to our own world, and very fitting for the story! Great job, but I can't believe it's over!

*~Azaelia~*
TTTurtle chapter 7 . 4/7/2003
NO, it cannot be the end!BUUHUU!

Sorry...got a bit carried away there, but this was/is such a good story... :(

I laughed out loud when you were describing Frodo, Sam and Pippin trying to get out of their clothes faster than fast...and the fact that they seem lucky was interesting...maybe Hobbits just do not annoy the animal world as much as humans do, so the spiders did not feel inclined to bite them?

Am following your other story with interest, and eagerly await anything else you might decide to write.

Firnsarnien chapter 7 . 4/6/2003
Oh indeed, things are definitely back to normal. Thos hobbits sure enjoy teasing and tricking each other don't they? LOL Wonderful story! I thoroughly enjoyed it! You mose surely have the gift of words! :) Ok, now are you gonna keep adding to Renewal in Rivendell? I hope so cause that is an awesome story too! :)
amc623 chapter 7 . 4/6/2003
Oh my gosh! It's over? No. I don't want it to end!

Well, this was a good last chapter. Hehe. So Merry got him back. Cute. Your hobbits are so wonderful. Thanks for this little story, I really liked it!

~AC~
Pansy Chubb chapter 7 . 4/6/2003
I love this story and hate to see it end. Loved how the hobhits encircled whomever was carrying Merry. Loved Frodo being big cousin to Merry. Loved how you ended it on a light note.
Kit5 chapter 7 . 4/6/2003
I wholeheartedly share in the Fellowship's intense dislike of spiders (ugh). Another wonderful story concluded, and with a humorous note. Thank you, Budgielover.
daw the minstrel chapter 7 . 4/6/2003
I like the way you show the advantages that each of the races have in gathering the spider webs: the dwarf hacks, the men and elf have long reaches, the hobbits can fit in tight places.

Nice developing of the relationships of the fellowship here.
146 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »