Reviews for The Image
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 1/7/2005
interesting. Overlooking the last AU part, lovely story. I don't mind it either, but it was just a bit odd. I like how you portrayed Nerdanel and Feanor, and how well she understood him, and what he would do.

Love the "Spirit of Fire" that she made of him. I somehow believe that only she could capture his spirit in art. I don't think even he could.

Yet the part that touched me most was Nerdanel admitting her love for Feanaro. Many people believe that they did not love each other, which I disagree with. Their love was one of the strongest, but as you put it, she could not live with his love any longer. Great job.
Leslie Lady of Light chapter 1 . 9/14/2004
"she always wanted to escape from this excessive love of his, the love that knew no bounds even where it should."

a very interesting take on their story, i always thought feanor very intense and it makes perfect sense that he would be just as passionate about love as anything else.
jojo11 chapter 1 . 5/22/2004
great!
I like especially one sentence:
She did not want to witness his destruction of himself.
I think I likes Nerdanel already before reading this, but now I'm sure I do. she's a wonderful character.
Nol chapter 1 . 1/14/2004
One of my favourite stories - and it's very difficult to choose favourites among your stories. I love the clarity of your writing, how you can call an entire theme or character into existence with a few choice turns of phrase. This story was rich with images (fitting, I supose!). not simply of the Spirit of Fire, who we see removed through so many eyes, but of their love, of the sons, of elven life in Aman. The relationship is a tough, cruel one, but the way you've deciphered it leaves it startlingly clear, and the yearning in Nerdanel is captured spot-on.
Of course, the daughter, AU or no, makes it all worth it, doesn't she? Love the idea - and perfectly plausible. I wish you were writing a follow-up of it, I really do.
Prophetic Fire chapter 1 . 8/19/2003
Gha! I think like you again! (Will explain later.) But enough of that. Once agian, no nitpicks. I never have nitpicks. Then again, that's because I read the work of the masters, and therefore there is no reason for there to be any. Loved it!
Shee chapter 1 . 5/21/2003
Very...well...how do I describe it? Beautiful, I suppose I would say, especially the part with the sculpture. I like your Nerdanel - she's very strong, and seems to live up to her title of 'the Wise'.

And I think that it could fit in canon, too, since Tolkien didn't mention some of the House of Finwë during the Silm...
Levade chapter 1 . 4/26/2003
I followed this link from Soledad's page and I'm so glad I did!

This is not an easy story to simply summarize, but it's so good on many levels. I can see why she left him, even as she loved him so deeply - we all want something of ourselves just for ourselves, and he would not allow that. Love, yes, but a selfish, possessive love. One could almost argue it isn't truly love at all, but that's neither here or now.

Bittersweet, rather like the Professor always left us. It strikes me that your story is rather like Nerdanel's work of Feanor - beautiful, haunting and impossible to forget.

Peace,

Levade
Lyllyn chapter 1 . 4/14/2003
I'm discovering that I've missed a lot of good stories.

You had some wonderful lines in this one.

"When your daughter has just left her husband for the fourth time, it takes a better explanation than nothing in particular to conclude that she will not also return to him for the fourth time."

This line was probably my favorite; it struck me as very poetic: "He knew no measure and took no distance."

"They told me he was whetting old swords left over from the Great Journey, and forging new ones. Why is that? Do we have enemies here, like we had in the lands across the Sea?"

I've always wondered about that, why the Noldor had swords at Aqualonde since they would not need them in Valinor. This helps fill in that gap.

"until he bound her with his seed."

Another great image.

I liked the idea in the ending, but could it be made even stronger in some way? Perhaps by emphasing she was the only one to escape?
Lalwen chapter 1 . 4/6/2003
This was wonderful - I am always intrigued by the marriage of Feanor and Nerdanel, and the thought that he may have had an eighth child - very original, and very well constructed. It didn't seem at all at odds with Tolkien's story.

Truly excellent stuff, especially:

"'I love him,' Nerdanel said.

'Then why leave him?'

'I cannot live with his love."

Ah, the contradiction of it all! Loved it.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 2/25/2003
Well, it took me a while to get to this one, but it's even harder to write a review for it. It's a very lovely story. I've always wanted Nerdanel to have a last daughter, and yes, this is the way I would've imagined it to have happened. (Well, the trick came from you in the first place.) I'm envious and in awe of your ability to write such a strong female character. Nerdanel has her weaknesses too, of course, but then, she's facing impossible odds. Giving birth to Feanor's daughter in the Gardens of Lorien was the perfect touch. And your use of the sons of Feanor in the story was cleverly done. They've all got strong personalities, and the balancing act with the twins is what I'd expect of Feanorian politics.

I'm really lucky that Nerdanel didn't actually see Feanor. Throughout the story, we only saw Feanor through Nerdanel's memories, even through Curufin (cruel little child that he is). It made the story stronger because Feanor's presence was undeniably there yet never physically there. Besides, if he'd showed up in the flesh, I think I might start siding with him (I lack Nerdanel's willpower) and Nerdanel might not seem as strong in the believable way that you've crafted her.

Very cool story. *bows in admiration*
vorondis chapter 1 . 2/21/2003
This is well written, with a plausible portrayal of Nerdanel. Also, the idea that only an abstract work of art can do the Spirit of Fire justice appeals to me. But I don't quite see the point of yet another child (except to give Nerdanel some comfort when all her sons will leave with their father). Isn't this just wishful thinking? Couldn't the story have worked without the pregnancy?
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 2/13/2003
Hmph. shouldn't filter out all the R-rated fics by default, I end up missing stories like this!

It's beautiful. I really can't think of anything else coherent to say, but this fic truly deserves it.

BTW, do you see this as AU? I always thought that AU involved changing canon - although it was never said that Fëanor had a daughter, it was also never said that he didn't. Anyway, thanks for a lovely read.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 2/13/2003
What a haunting story! You capture the dysfunctional relationship between Nedanel and Feanor very well - and show just how hard it is (on both sides) when such relationships finally implode. Nerdanel's grief for the sons she cannot save is heartbreaking, and her determination to rescue the last of her children from the same fate rings so true. And yet I cannot help but feel a bit of pity for Feanor (although he doesn't deserve it) that he never gets a chance to know his daughter. but I'm gald that in this AU, Nerdanel doesn't lose every child she bears to doom and death.

I'm honored that you would dedicate such a fine story to me!
Soledad chapter 1 . 2/12/2003
Absolutely wonderful. This goes straight to my Favourites list.

I'd love to say something intelligent, but I'm too shaken (and too sorry for poor Nerdanel) to do so. This one is a rare gem even by your very high standards.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 2/12/2003
Hey, I nearly missed this!

Of course, what a great illustration of Nerdanels feelings and motivations. I can see her fear, how she wants to escape, to save what she can, though she knows its not much. She tried to save her youngest children, and failed, but she could at least save her daughter. It may be AU, but its only fair.

Also, big compliments for doing Mahtan and his wife, something that doesnt happen every day! They were very convincing, and also their relationship with their daughter, her husband and their grandchildren.

And last, but not least, you managed quite effectively to capture the slightly bothering pater familias atmosphere...