Reviews for Realignment
Rialaea chapter 25 . 8/10/2021
I am so glad I came across this story! Your portrayal of the world is great, not to mention the characters and their relationships. The interactions between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, and most of all, the nuances and complexities of the understanding between Dumbledore and Tom, are fantastic. I find your Tom to be very interesting and convincing, and I really appreciate your characterisation of him as a self-interested and superbly intelligent, yet young and still impressionable. I think your Dumbledore is outstanding - he's brilliant, broken, steadfast and fragile, infinitely patient and kind yet almost cruel in his inevitable distancing from the world. Again, the relationship at the heart of the story, that between Tom and Dumbledore, is exquisitely portrayed. I really look forward to more chapters and thank you for sharing your work!
Homarid chapter 25 . 8/2/2021
That story went by shockingly fast. I really got obsessed over it. Great job. I loved Harry and Dumbledore and Grindelwald. It's unfortunate I didn't like Tom, but that is a personal hangup. Tom was well written, but I'm not interested in any kind of redemption story for him. Thank you for the story.
Homarid chapter 1 . 7/31/2021
Wow, what an introduction. Great battle.
IamKroGan1 chapter 1 . 6/16/2021
Bit of a twist, I thought Grindwald was attacking and Harry would help fight him off, not that Harry had went full nutso and attacked Hogwarts. He would have to be insane to do that when he knows Dumbledore is there and in his prime. If he wanted Riddle why didn't he just wait until he was back to the orphanage, your Harry is dumb. I did like the fight scenes and that Harry seems actually talented instead of the everyman.
Caver Floyd chapter 25 . 5/16/2021
Excellent story, as long as you don’t think too hard about Harry’s actions. He’s obviously crazy, because that attack on Hogwarts could only be thought a good idea by someone who has gone round the bend. Besides that, the imagery of the story is great, though I do wonder how Lady Clara met Harry, as I don’t really see him just wandering around magical Europe making new friends when he is so focused on his mission.
Xeius9 chapter 25 . 3/12/2021
This was a great story
Vitharr chapter 25 . 11/21/2020
wow, this story was excellent. your writing style is incredibly satisfying, especially in the fight scenes. I have one gripe though, for Tom's character development, the main way he is changing in this story is his goals, but we don't get to really see that, only get told it. for the whole story Tom can't work towards his goals because he's focused on the threat of bond, but after the final battle the story pretty much just ends.
I would have preferred an extra segment in the last chapter talking a bit about what tom was up to now, instead of cozying up to Slytherin, to get some hints of what he might accomplish in the future.

because of the absence of anything like this, the ending made me feel like nothing has truly changed. tom isn't just likely to still be evil, but it feels like he'll progress down such a similar path to the original timeline.

tldr: I would have preferred a showcase of Tom's new goals at the end, and an insight into what he's doing, otherwise it's a great story arc.
jhsilver123 chapter 1 . 11/14/2020
You Know you should make it clear Voldermot is the main character and not Harry.
Yuna Nightshade chapter 7 . 11/4/2020
"... unfortunately there is no magic to change the past."

Weeeell...
Guest chapter 4 . 10/27/2020
Well, harry seems to be going about his quest to kill tom in the most idiotic way possible. It makes for spectacular scenes but just makes one shake ones head at his stupidity.
Cookie-the-Rookie chapter 24 . 10/25/2020
Awe-fucking-some. Love how Tom didn’t miss a beat in casting his favorite spell
Cookie-the-Rookie chapter 23 . 10/25/2020
Tom as the new boy who lived is friggin awesome. It makes sense though, if Harry is still a horcrux Tom wouldn’t be able to die
ABZB13 chapter 15 . 10/2/2020
I REALLY love the Bells - there are seven of them, I suppose? ;)
Guest chapter 1 . 5/27/2020
The premise was very interesting and I like some of the characterization, but I’ll echo some of the main criticisms you’ve probably already been given. There is a gigantic plot hole in the fact that even an unstable persona in Harry/Bond’s position would definitely be much more likely to communicate with Dumbledore than fight him from the very beginning. While you could argue this is just OOC!Harry, the fact that he is so out of character isn’t explained at all in the first few chapters, and because of the lack of background in the antagonist/antihero of Bond, I ultimately became extremely disinterested in the story. The level of mental instability it would take for Harry’s first actions in a foreign time to be to attack Hogwarts head-on despite being able to simply wait for more opportune times that were guaranteed to come is extremely unrealistic, but that isn’t the issue so much as the lack of an acceptable explanation/background for it. While I understand this is for the purpose of progressing the plot, as more reasonable actions on Harry’s part would lead to a very different and likely much shorter and anticlimactic story, you should introduce plot elements that explain these shortcomings instead of relying on the reader to accept these plot holes and move on, as it really ruins a lot of the potential of a premise like this.

Another review highlighted how having an extremely unlikable Tom serve as the main character makes the story less attractive as well, which I agree with, though I applaud the effect and ambition in trying to create a different type of story altogether, as this was actually as refreshing as it was irritating to me. Take this review with a grain of salt, as my irritation with the lack of realism in the story led me to quickly skip to the last two chapters after about an hour of reading, which means I may very well be missing some truly redeeming qualities of the story that make up the bulk of the action elements and plot outside of exposition, climax, and falling action.

I’ll end the review with this: I’ve never given a review in fan fiction before, despite having read fan fiction for years now. I give this review now because I think tropes like these have potential. Mentally unstable characters are some of my favorite story elements because when they’re done effectively, they’re caricatures that expose the struggles a lot of people go through daily. It creates a plot element so grotesque yet still undeniably human that it’s beautiful. But part of what makes great fantasy literature like HP and select fan fictions is the emotional relatability, which this story ultimately fails in. The reader should be able to feel like, if they were in the same situation with the same background and upbringing as any of the characters, that they aren’t sure they would be able to play things any differently than you wrote them, even with the perspective of their own lives to consider. While there are a lot of elements to your story and this trope that I like, this is my chief criticism. I hope you see it and consider some of these things going forward if you continue to write literature, and if not I hope someone else reading the reviews will at least appreciate the analysis.
xvector chapter 25 . 5/25/2020
Fantastic fic. Loved the distinct characters, they were written very well. Battle scenes were simply epic, some of the best I’ve ever read.
229 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »