Reviews for Now the light falls
SleepinBeautyK chapter 1 . 2/21/2018
I honestly was so confused with what was going on but this is where my stubbornness comes and wants to know what happens or I guess happened to Soul... a part me also is wondering if this story is going to focus on more of Soul x Maka relationship wise despite that it only list Soul Eater.
HuaFeiHua chapter 3 . 12/12/2017
idk why but maka in this chapter was particularly relatable to me this time around. i read this late last night whilst procrastinating on processing the roasts my beta reader gave me on my stuff and thinking about it again, hours later, just... idk feels nice.
anyway this review's going to be shorter this time around so i'm gonna have to apologize for that but i did really enjoy it just as much as the first two chapters. i like the word you've chosen for this one. very romantic sounding.
i feel like house hopping sounds like a super fun thing to do on halloween and it also interests me that black star doesn't seem to be able to process that fact that people change interests with time. just because maka was obsessed w/ghosts as a child doesn't mean she's still going to be even remotely interested in them in high school. case and point: when i was in like fourth grade i wanted to watch sailor moon with my sister and she told me in a very grave voice that we shouldn't because she didn't want to become one of those weirdos with body pillows. and now, here i am in high school. reading anime fanfiction. mm...
anyway, i'm wondering right now if she got killed by the truck, which is an interesting thought because then i guess that brings soul into the picture as a ghost still. except they're both ghosts in that case, and i wasn't expecting that. but i'm not too sure. i guess i'll see.
this is great! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
HuaFeiHua chapter 2 . 10/29/2017
i like to binge read chapters late, late at night when i'm dawdling on other things and i say binge because i'm just like "ahh i'll just read a little bit; it's a long chapter after all..." and then i find myself reading the whole thing because mm tasty. i guess. idk that sounds weeeiiiirdddd :c

tbh you really had me on the edge of my seat with the poltergeists. at first i assumed that they had been the voices and was like "huh i wonder why they're so hostile" but then you described them as faceless stick figures and my mind instantly flashed back to that time in canon when they were fighting shadows and tbh that was also scary as hecking. and then i was like "i would not trust that other voice at ALL" when she was talking to the demon and then she went. into the basement. with no light. way to turn a character's emotional capacity and empathy against them. i actually briefly entertained the idea that the voice that turned out to be the demon was soul since the description p much says she sees him, but then the voice got pushy and i was like "nah. can't be. he's not like that."
i can hardly even believe that she's gone and tossed away all her ghost proof and everything tho. i'm a little heartbroken. but now i also know why you chose saudade as the chapter title because this is the kind of thing you'd really look back on like that. mmmm...
anyway, i'll continue on some other day. soon, i hope. this is a good fic. i'm also reading burning bright over on ao3 and overall you're just a talented writer. great work! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
awesomeasusual chapter 3 . 10/24/2017
Day cliffhanger tho. Will continue, mist know what happens.
HuaFeiHua chapter 1 . 10/20/2017
i've been putting off reading this for ohhh about two weeks now but you know i'm glad i started reading this now because wow this writing style is fantastic. lots of imagery and metaphors and most of the time i can be lazy w/my reading comprehension and stuff but that wasn't quite so w/this fic and i just wanna thank you for that

anyway, i liked the bit w/blair. i think i should have seen it coming that she wasn't something to be trusted when she actually said her own name after saying "mmm i dun remember my name" and i know soul sensed it too bc the only reason he kept following her was the desire to find someone else like him and mmm man that is a good closing of a more subtle plot hole like wow 10/10 with covering all your bases and planning.
also i liked the characters' speaking style being a little more archaic bc idk i just like language like that

for a little while i was like "who's that yellow-haired guy" but now after a few minutes of thought i'm like "oh it's probably chainsaw guy (giriko?)" but like if you reply to reviews shh don't tell me i wanna see it either revealed later or like something shh i have eleven more chapters to read and review.
i expected the fic to open up with maka, but knowing where soul the ghost came from first is an equally respectable move since one, starting up with something unrelated to the summary but just as interesting can draw in more attention and curiosity; and two, it's something we need to know anyway so like why leave it for a background dump later? who needs background dumps? ?

predictions? well as far as i can see, i think next chapter is going to switch over to maka's perspective (a fic that consistently switches it up? ? :D) and while the accident that made her stop acknowledging the ghosts will likely remain a mystery for a while, i think she'll meet soul pretty much immediately and introduce us to the mystery of the accident, hints about which shall be scattered throughout the fic so that its reveal is properly foreshadowed. current thoughts on what happened: something to do with her mother leaving, or i suppose in this sort of case, dying.

anyway that's all i've got for now. great work! ! ! ! !
tilliquoi chapter 12 . 7/9/2017
Wow. I gotta say, this is definitely one of those stories where, once you've finished, you just have to sit and think for a little while to process.

This was amazing! I fell in love with it pretty fast and binge-read the whole thing in pretty much one go because I just couldn't stop once I started. The way you write scenes, especially suspense, is really incredible.

I assume you've got something planned as a continuation given the ending, and I'm really, really looking forward to it! Thank you for writing this.
awesomeasusual chapter 1 . 6/24/2017
What a chapter! The mean girls hurt my heart and my BABY soul! I liked what you wrote about Soul being dull gray colors; obviously he's NOT but I hope its Maka that shows him his true colors ;)
At the end of the chapter I thought it was going to be something interdimensional creepiness and IT WAS but now I wonder if the shadow things KILLED SOUL! I cant wait to find out!
Kylaralynn chapter 12 . 6/20/2017
Just thought I should let you know - this story is what drove me to make my own account just so I could figure out how to follow it. I HAD to be able to find it again to reread it or to catch any updates. Love it!
Silly Twin Stars chapter 12 . 4/14/2017
Yo Lunar! I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to write a proper review! I wanted to really take the time to tell you how much I enjoyed this!

To be totally honest, when I was reading this, it felt like I was reading a published children's book. I love the eerie but still somehow comforting atmosphere that you created at the beginning with Maka - her little family of ghosts was SO well developed and interesting, and I can't wait to see what happens with them in the sequels! Your writing is so accessible, reads like a dream, and I sped through this story in three days, which is something I absolutely never do with a story of this length! I feel like the devil really was in the details in this story, and you gave me so many cool small things to hold on to in your descriptions.

I also love the way you've developed Soul & Maka's relationship so far. I reread the possession scenes again because they were SO AWESOME, and the part where Maka's walking through the alleyway and Soul is coaching her was just suuuuch a great testament to the way they work together and the trust they have in each other, it was SO GREAT. :) And I love that there's SO MUCH MORE to discover with Soul's backstory, with the Ghostbusters squad (I loved Stein so much in this story by the way, I knew he'd be on Maka's side with the nobody-believing-her-about-seeing-ghosts thing) and all of the lines that you've dropped are firmly hooked into my lil reader brain.

The villains in this story were also SO FUN (and cringy, in the best way) to read. The demon scene in the basement played on literally all of my basement childhood fears, the spiderweb world was SO COOL - OH by the way, another detail I really loved was how Soul's hair was originally brown and then he slowly morphed into his 'normal' ghostly appearance - super cool twist :D Giriko is gross as usual but like, holy end of chapter 1. It was so atmospheric and dark and I KNEW HE WAS GONNA DIE BUT I WAS STILL SUFFERING and I clicked on chapter 2 SO FAST.

I'm sure I could go on for years about how much I loved this - I cannot wait to see what the next two stories bring. Thank you so much for writing something so immersive and emotional. I enjoyed every minute. :)
Fluffypuppy77 chapter 12 . 2/25/2017
This
All
Perfect
MORE?
redphlox chapter 12 . 2/5/2017
It’s over and I have so many feelings. Okay. I definitely caught on to the “okay” and “all right” exchange Soul and Maka had and I love that echo, it’s so poetic and endearing. Their relationship in this was beautiful, so true to their characters, and touching, moving. You really out did yourself, Lunar! I’m excited for this world you’ve built and for the sequels to this. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story!
redphlox chapter 11 . 2/5/2017
I don’t think I’ve mentioned this yet but I absolutely adore Blair, even though at times I don’t trust her. She seems to know a lot more than what she’s telling Soul and Maka and I’m screaming on the inside. I was sooo worried throughout this whole chapter. Maka is beyond brave for wanting to find Giriko’s house, and I was holding my breath for a lot of the last half of the chapter when they actually went and almost died. I love your writing, it flows so well and it has a great balance between imagery and emotions and action.
redphlox chapter 10 . 2/5/2017
Ahhhh Maka finally opened up! I teared up a little reading that part. That was so powerful. It gave her the strength to help Soul and help herself and I’m so proud of her. Wow. I also highly enjoyed their banter in the cemetery, and how it turned into a serious conversation. That was so smooth, I loved it. I know I keep saying that a lot but I am loving this fic so much, I’m obsessed!
redphlox chapter 9 . 2/5/2017
Even though I knew from your mention of Hiro earlier in the fic that he would come up again, I also did not see this coming. Ewww, poor Maka, she makes such bad decisions, such misguided decisions. I also really want to punch Hiro in the face for being a gross douche ngl. It’s weird to see Star as the voice of reason, but that just emphasizes how far confused Maka is, and though it’s not said outright, it’s clear that Tsu leaving earlier than expected is really messing with her head. I’M ALSO really glad Soul and Maka got to talking again, his absence was hurting me because of their fight, and I’m so happy with how you got them to interact. They resonated, and it was beautiful! I also love that she cried, FINALLY. And Soul was so sweet and supportive throughout all of this. I loved it.
redphlox chapter 8 . 2/5/2017
OH this chapter spiked my curiosity through the roof! You write the villains so well – Giriko’s evil, slimy, and downright awful, and Arachne is cold and calculating. I definitely felt chills reading their part. And I’m surprised (happily) to hear from Stein and the gang again! Ahhh, it build up the suspense even more, and I’m left wondering if they were just THAT good at not seeing Maka’s ghost friends earlier in the fic? I’m sooo curious, ughh.