Reviews for For a Long Time Looking at Stars
ThatsTotallyNerdy chapter 46 . 3/22
Just finished this. I stayed up until 4 in the morning 2 days in a row despite having work and school in the morning just to finish this. It became an obsession for many reasons. My father is an abusive alcoholic and it’s taken me years to finally start to admit that. The amount of turmoil that Shane goes through with his dad, the self loathing and suicidal tendencies without being “brave” enough to do it DUE to those self loathing thoughts is clean out of a chapter of my life. I cannot say what this story means to me. I recently got married and I do a lot of what Shane does in this. Constant downplaying and feeling worthless. Explosions of pent up emotions. Unhealthy coping mechanisms and reliance on people. It’s nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but it’s still here and I hadn’t even realized how bad it is till I finished this. The realism in those feelings, the spotlight placed on them and the fact that they don’t just disappear at the end of the story; it’s everything. I was hesitant to comment because I was unsure of how to sum up how this makes me feel, but I wanted you to know that I both hate and love this because I got genuine insight from it. I had a genuine connection to what happened in it. I’m going to use it as a reminder to finally do what my parents shamed me for needing to do and go to therapy once Covid is over. I’m in tears writing this because this fanfiction made me feel everything I needed to feel that I didn’t want to feel. Although I do not know everyone, I’m deeply grateful and touched for this community and the support and recognition it gives to characters like Shane. In my experience, children of abusers are always searching for acceptance in everything we do, so seeing how detrimental that can be while simultaneously being accepted is the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced. The callout on the importance of self love, the relatability of struggle and unhealthy tendencies, and the complicated, messiness of life is a healthy reminder to anyone, whether they relate to Shane or Sophia or any of the characters or not. You’ve taken my favorite game and made it so much more. This is my absolute favorite fanfiction ever. Please get into professional writing, and thank you so much for your beautiful mind.
Joyne chapter 46 . 2/2
Okay, spill! Are you a psychologist? A therapist? Are you a poet? A professional writer? A movie writer? Were you perhaps alcoholic or depressive, or did you date one? Are you a farmer? Or a rancher? Cause, what i want to say is, THIS IS SO FU*KING PEEFECT! THIS IS REAL! THE DETAILS, THE DEPTH OF SOUL DIGGING, and the imagery, the literary devices, the sweetness, the romance, the carefully plotted background story about Amy and Garret. Words are just not enough to show my appreciation for your work.
Justsumgal chapter 46 . 1/8
I really enjoyed this fic and your portrayal of Shane and his alcoholism. I loved the ups and downs and the story as a whole. Great job!
Purr chapter 41 . 4/3/2020
I don't know what to say, other than thank you for writing this. It's been a long time since I was inti fanfiction or games like I have been and it's solely because of Shane's character. My husband is 4 days shy of being a year sober from hard drugs and alcohol. When we met he was a struggling alcoholic whi had custody of his 5 year old son. We are married now and have 3 kids but it didn't come without it's ups and downs and everything written in this so far has all been something I have personally experienced or watched him go through. This is so beautiful and sometimes it really helps to see that others out there know exactly what this is like from both sides. Thank you.
Kartos chapter 46 . 3/24/2020
Thank you so much for writing this well. It was obvious you understand the subject and treated it respectfully and realistically. There's no way he would just magically be okay, not when it's clearly a clinical thing. Also everything with her, too. So much going on, just like real life.
Kartos chapter 43 . 3/24/2020
The stuffed panda made me burst into tears. I guess in a good way? lol
Kartos chapter 13 . 3/22/2020
This is so well done.
NoxPrincess chapter 1 . 1/20/2020
Just started playing stardew valley a few days ago and the first thing I did after playing was search for fanfics! Can’t wait to read more of this - I’m super curious about Shane as I haven’t delved far enough into all the character’s stories. Loved this first chapter. I’m excited to read more.
NeonTheGreen chapter 46 . 12/30/2019
I absolutely loved this! Thank you so much for writing this story.
Coccineus chapter 46 . 11/27/2019
Perfect ending. A beautiful work and I'm sad there's not more to read :)
Coccineus chapter 35 . 11/26/2019
This is fantastic and so incredibly good. One of the best stories I've read. Shane and Sophia feels so real.
Coccineus chapter 14 . 11/24/2019
This is a beautiful story :)
FelledandFallow chapter 46 . 8/6/2019
Is there a possibility of this ever getting a sequel? Ive read this 8 or 9 times over the last few years and I'm always so hopeful
lukeskywalkeer chapter 25 . 7/27/2019
Oh please dont let her ex be at her moms house when she gets there
ararsh chapter 46 . 6/18/2019
I have to admit that it was just a joke when I'm looking for some Stardew Valley FFs. I never meant to really read one because I couldn't imagine how someone could manage an actual good and gripping plot around this game. Don't mistake me: I love the game but it's not kind of game I fantasize about after turn my computer down. But hell that was kind of an awesome fiction. I never expected this. Thank you.