Reviews for Which Is Given For You
thishazeleyeddemon chapter 1 . 8/12/2013
The only problem I have with this is no explanation of what happened to Varda Elentari. I mean, either why she is no longer married to Manwe or why Manwe is cheating on her. So, I'd label this an AU, but a really good one nonetheless.
Nol chapter 1 . 11/5/2003
Unusual, yet believable, and extremely natural. I love this story. There is something so simple, yet profound, in the love shared by Manwe and Ingwe - the portrayal of Manwe's sympathy and compassion is heartwarming. And excellent writing; the last few paragraphs were so true in sentiment and expression.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 3/7/2003
I'm sorry it took me so long to read and review this. Well, and when I did read this, I didn't get around to reviewing it. It's a great story, and Manwe and Ingwe are an amusing match, to say the least. And if _Manwe_ does it, well, then, that's giving permission to everyone else to indulge, yes? O:)

I liked the way Ingwe sought comfort in spirituality first and foremost. And he's always such a perfect guy, the way he's considerate to Manwe being at the festival, the way he's polite, etc. Very noble. I really like your characterization of him. But I also liked the way you characterized Manwe in this story. He made everything so reasonable, and even when he didn't understand, he seemed to understand. Yup, very true that they would've known fear when Melkor cast the Lamps down. And Manwe's playful winds. LOL! That was great. Poor Ingwe, tormented, tugged, and tickled to death.

Manwe's explanation for their lovemaking was excellent. It wasn't forced. It was very Manwe, especially the way you've written him. Ingwe's guilt in comparison to that was well-balanced. I didn't mind the brother-sister awakening in comparison to the man-wife awakening, and the loneliness he felt thereafter seemed to represent the loneliness that many of the more unique characters in Tolkien's work feel (like Feanor, Frodo, Bilbo, Durin in the storyline when he alone of the original 7 Dwarves had no wife). I do somewhat wonder if Manwe and Ingwe will keep up this relationship or if it'll change if Ingwe finds someone.

Anyway, a fun story overall, and it certainly brings these lesser characters to light. (Yeah, Manwe as a lesser character.)
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 3/2/2003
This is belatedly going on my favorite stories list. Sorry for taking so long.

You've heard all my comments, and you know this story made me cry when it was still in beta, but let me just repeat a few things.

You've made a Manwe here who certainly seems beyond human (and beyond Elven) but accessable anyway. And you've made him bridge the gap between the Divine and the created in a very powerful way.

(I really think this story is a Christian parable about the incarnation. That in a sense God had to become human in order to fully love humans the way they need to be loved. But, that's just my reading.)

And, one of the most beautiful love scenes I've seen in a long time. High praise. This story deserves it.
Ihtilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 2/24/2003
I love your portrayal of Manwe in this story - you manage to show his true incorporeality so very well. He's the Lord of the Winds because in his essence, he IS wind. And yet, for all the differences in form and nature that separate the Valar and the Elves, the traits that they share (especially the ability to love) are in the end more important.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 2/18/2003
A manipulative jerk? Far from this! Ive never seen a more sympathetic Manwë. And the story is so good! I didnt intend to read more than a paragraph, but I couldnt stop. Touching dialogues, imaginative scenes, wonderful imagery.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 2/18/2003
I love the way you mingle Manwe's elven form with his true form. The image of Manwe playing with the clouds is a nice touch, and I like the way you've lifted some of the gravity from him. He tends to be portrayed as a stern king, yet I think your interpretation is closer to the truth. He is somewhat childlike in his absolute absence of malice, and it seems right that he should have a child's delight in feasts and an open heart to the elves.