Reviews for Hawaiki
Kodachi Claws chapter 16 . 2/2
Sorry I missed out on the conclusion when this was updated.

All and all, a solid story to AOTG. I appreciate how this connected to the present and even future Gargoyle stories (I assume damaging Nokar’s drone is the reason the SS were able to conquer Earth), and the amount of research you put into Polynesian culture, more so than even Moana.

I also enjoyed some of the insights of Elizabeth (I’m not going to bother typing out her real name).Nice to see some members not 100 % bent on world domination, and are trying to do what they think is right, no matter the cost. Those are some of the best antagonists.

I’ll be keeping an eye on the next entry!
Dr. Algae chapter 17 . 1/2
This saga's been four years in the making but it was well worth the wait. You've expanded the Gargoyles Universe in ways that made it seem like we were seeing it for the very first and given fair due to an often overlooked segment of world mythology.
Dr. Algae chapter 16 . 1/2
As in the last chapter, choosing to juxtapose the final battle with a flash forward was an inspired choice. It gave these last two chapters a real Alpha and Omega feel.
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 17 . 1/2
Poor Brooklyn. Just couldn’t resist yanking his romantic chain yet again, could we?

An epic conclusion to an amazing fic!
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 15 . 8/16/2020
Ohhhhhh...interesting.
Dr. Algae chapter 15 . 8/16/2020
Damn... what a crescendo. I', almost mad at you for leaving off just as everything hit such a fever pitch. Paralleling the "present" day battle with Hawaiki's final day was a particularly inspired choice.

But best thing was finally seeing Makani come into her own, just hope she survive the experience.
Kodachi Claws chapter 14 . 8/9/2020
Glad to see Makani push her demons regarding Honhua away.

Enjoyed seeing the Gargoyles work with Maui to trap the Storm Cloud, feels like a very nice reference to Maui’s deeds in myth.

Whiro in his current form is reminding me of the final boss from Sonic and the Secret Rings, being this copious mass of mouths.

I’ll be looking forward to the update, whenever that may be.
Kodachi Claws chapter 13 . 8/6/2020
Very interesting to see what’s going on here. I’m kind of getting a Naraku-type vibe from Whiro (I suppose I’m saying that since the trailer for Yashahime should be dropping tomorrow).

I’m guessing Brooklyn and Katana will eventually (regressively?) fight Whiro in the Polynesian God War that caused all this.

I’m enjoying the sections occuring from Nokar’s point of view, to see him love the natives he has looked over and try to remain neutral.

I’ve had a theory about the alien races coming up in Gargoyles 2298: The three intergalactic races parallel the three races of earth. The Space Spawn are equivalent to humans, the N’Kai equivalent to Gargoyles, and the unknown race is the equivalent of the Fair Folk. If you guys ever get this far in the project, I would love to see your take on that.
Kodachi Claws chapter 10 . 7/30/2020
It was fun to learn of Nokar’s history with the Natives, and while he did kind of come off as a jerk here, I can understand it a little. On one hand, he needed company, and didn’t want to interfere with the people’s affairs, just like how naturalists often try not to interfere with animals.
On the other hand, with his advanced technology, he could have stopped the invasion without giving his position away and probably taught the people better ecology at least. But I guess fanatascism is something that can’t be cured without becoming a tyrant yourself.

I liked Hina’s explanation of Glamor. Also had Moana flashbacks when you said Mota Nui (slightly different word, took me a while to remember where I heard it)
Kodachi Claws chapter 9 . 7/28/2020
First off, I understand that you and the others who are part of AoG are doing your best to treat this project as an extension of the TV series, but the “Previously” stuff does not work well in writing. Just my opinion.

Anyway, things are definitely shaping up to be interesting. I’m learning about more Gods/Fair Folk, and we get a peak into Maui and Hina’s relationship, which was sweet (despite them both being swingers).

I’m guessing Kamehameha’s wife is in cahoots with the Illuminati to overthrow him once they have no use for him, and this will lead to the extermination of the Hawaii clan, which is quite depressing really.
Kodachi Claws chapter 8 . 7/19/2020
Honua is dead. Just like I feared, she became just like Demona, so warped by hatred she would turn on those she had claimed to protect. Despite all that and her abuse, I do feel sorry for her somehow.

It was cool to see Kamehameha take charge. He showed the skills of a diplomat, a general and a warrior all at once. He’s kind of like a GoT character; he has a lot of likable qualities, but there are one or two things about him that are awful that beings all his positives down.

And now we’re going to Easter Island. I’m curious how Nokar will be involved, as the 20th century was the first time he had seen Gargoyles. Maybe he’ll be working behind the scenes, I guess.
Kodachi Claws chapter 5 . 7/15/2020
Looks like Honhua will be going full villain now.

And Nokar! Wouldn’t expect to see him here, but I’m glad he’s made an appearance!

Ironically, I was also thinking that Hawaiki, and the Third Race, had extraterrestrial origins based on the way you told the tale. So I’m taking Nokar’s appearance here as confirmation.

I’m enjoying the politics of this civil war, and the motivations behind it. Yes, power is of course the main reason, but I always the tradition vs adaptation trope. What’s surprising is that you put Kamehameha in something of a gray area. Given the example of how bad he could be, I must say that’s quite a feat.
Kodachi Claws chapter 3 . 7/12/2020
Of all the stories from this AoG project, this one is standing out from the world building alone. I keep learning about new myths from this, which for me is always fun.

I couldn’t help but notice the parallels between Goliath, Demona, and Honuha and her mate. Both men (so to speak) were optimistic about their interactions with humans, and both paid for it. Their mates, who already had animosity towards humans, had their negative beliefs enforced by tragedies. Honhua is also shown to be aging fast due to her anger, much like Demona was before her immortality. Unfortunately, while Demona takes her anger out on the human race, Honhua takes her anger out on her own children, thinking she’s making them stronger. At least Demona shows she does love Angela (though Honhua isn’t otherwise pure evil)
Kodachi Claws chapter 2 . 7/9/2020
Yup, I was right. Though I’m trying my best not to imagine the Disney version, I can’t help it, given how you’ve duplicated some of the mannerisms

Seems I will be getting a bit of an education with this story, given the detail you’ve out into these myths and history.

Didn’t expect to see a link to China. I look forward to see how this plays out.
Kodachi Claws chapter 1 . 7/8/2020
First, I am astounded by the work that went into portraying polynesian culture and language here. If you grew up with it or learned about it in school, cool. If this was all something you had to learn on your own just for this fic, it is nothing short of amazing.

A friend of mine married a polynesian woman who taught him a bit about Hawaii (they’re currently living there) but this is just wow!

Moving onto the Gargoyles, I like how the Gargoyles of the islands in many ways mirror the people, particularly their size.

This is the first time we’ve seen an abusive relationship among Gargoyles, and it is hard to read. Given that Manki is as large if not larger than Honua and can still glide, I’d imagine this was going on for a long time or otherwise Manki would have decked her.

I’m going to take a guess that the Gargoyle (forgot his name) that spoke with Brooklyn about this is actually Maui, albeit something closer to the real Maui instead of the Disney version (Disney often takes liberties with legendary figures)

I’m really looking forward to what comes next.
57 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »