Reviews for Hawaiki
Dr. Algae chapter 10 . 9/1
I'm really enjoying your take on Nokkar. You do a good job weaving him into the real life history and politics. Particularly like how you poked fun at and subverted the "Ancient Astronauts" by establishing that the Moai were something the indigenous Rapa Nui did on their own initiative and using their own skills rather than Nokkar just doing it for them.
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 10 . 8/31
“And I just realized that none of you have the slightest context to understand what that means. Though I guess the fact that you two are giving me WTF-faces is one more nail in the coffin of the 'aliens built the pyramids' crowd – as if they needed one.”

Weelp this is my new favorite line.

I’m quite familiar with the Bird-man cult and the yearly competition it entailed, from way back when I was studying cultural anthropology, and I’m quite impressed with how you’ve deftly and naturally included here. I think that I know where you’re going with this, so...unless I’m mistaken: Go Makani!
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 9 . 7/6
And we’re back. A nice little refresher chapter to get us back into the Hawaiki swing of things. I’m looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Particularly as we learn more about the tragic events surrounding the last gargoyles in Polynesia...all I can say is...

‘More please’.
Dr. Algae chapter 9 . 7/6
I'm super impressed by how seamlessly you slipped back into this story. This chapter was a perfect little jumping back on point. You did a great job bringing us back up to speed on the quest to defeat Whiro, the evolving political situation back on Hawai'i, and Makani's struggles with her own insecurities.

Hina makes a cool new addition to the Party, and Tāwhirimātea makes for a pretty memorable "Boss Fight".

Really curious to see how you handle Nokkar.
Dr. Algae chapter 8 . 4/29/2018
DAAAAYUM!

That was one Hell of a midseason finale. This chapter was basically one long fight sequence but what a fight sequence. You really did a great job of selling the Mo'o as a nigh-unstoppble force of nature.

I also like how virtually every character introduced so far got a moment to shine. From Brooklyn's Godzilla crack to Honua's final tragic breath.

This is a good point to pause, giving both the sense that our heroes have accomplished something important and that there's still much to do.

I look forward to seeing you eventually revisit this corner of the GU.
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 8 . 4/28/2018
That was sufficiently epic.

An excellent installment, and a fantastic stopping point. That being said...I look forward to the next leg of the journey with great anticipation!
emyy250 chapter 8 . 4/28/2018
Were the earrings a Miraculous Ladybug reference? I like how everybody worked together.
GregX chapter 8 . 4/28/2018
Another terrific chapter. And I am in awe over your skills with action scenes. In awe. You paint vivid pictures.

This story is bigger than I ever anticipated, and I love it for that. I cannot wait til the next one.
Dr. Algae chapter 7 . 2/24/2018
Our Big Bad finally appears in the flesh! Well, technically he appears in Honua's flesh. :P

Gotta admit, Whiro's probably the figure from Polynesian myth I've been most looking forward to seeing since you started this saga. 'Cuz who doesn't love giant corpse-eating Polynesian demon-lizards? And his debut does not disappoint.

Also damn... that cliffhanger was chilling.
GregX chapter 7 . 2/22/2018
Fantastic chapter! The David and Goliath metaphor made me laugh... very well done.

The action scenes are fantastic, and I envy your ability to write them. So well done.

And Tamora's presence makes me happy. I'll have to bring that puni back some time.
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 7 . 2/22/2018
Oh no. Not this time. I'm not putting this off again, this time, I'm going to be the FIRST one to review.

This chapter is amazing. I marvel with every update at just how much enjoyment I get out of having this fic in my eyeballs!

And this chapter is almost non-stop action, and excellent story-telling. From Whiro's Game of Thrones of Avatars to the appearance of Bishansky's infamous Tamora the Goth, I was on the edge of my seat this entire time. Once again I'm salivating for the next chapter.

Highlights for me include using Benuthet's area of expertise; Avatars, as well as his and Zee's pet names for one another introduced in Bloodstone used here.

I'm also super curious to see the nature of Tam's deal with the Hawaiian Clan, and who is behind curtain number 1 in the Underworld. (Though I have a sneaky suspicion). The only other thing I can say is...'More Please '
GregX chapter 6 . 1/12/2018
I am so glad that I took the time this morning to get caught up on the last three chapters. When you started this story, I didn't think it would become this epic. It was intriguing, and a nice look at a history and mythology that I was mostly unfamiliar with.

Now, well, it's still all of those things but the stakes just keep on rising. I cannot wait for chapter seven.
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 6 . 12/26/2017
And so our intrepid heroes set out at the behest of the volcano goddess to seek out and stop Whiro. I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation.

I fear that the Hawaiian Clan is on the verge of their own Massacre.
Dr. Algae chapter 6 . 12/9/2017
And all Hawaiki breaks loose... literally!

Another great chapter. Pele's is appropriately majestic while still not above being a bit of a troll ;). Also great to see Maui again. His scene with Tunaroa not only provides excelent hero/villian banter but neatly illustrates the differences between Seelie and Unseelie ideologies.

Speaking of Unseelie...

The description of Whiro-possessed Honua was pretty ghoulish...

So obviously I loved it. :D
Vigatus chapter 6 . 12/2/2017
I am amazed at your use of Polynesian myth, history and folklore. How much research did you do to write this story. You have my respect and appreciation.