Reviews for Orient
Winifred.Cleaves chapter 18 . 6/24/2019
Just raced through the series, only to find a second season was cancelled. This was needed, and so very well done!
Synera chapter 18 . 10/4/2018
I love it. I'm a huge fan of your Jupiter Ascending fics, and decided to check out your other stories. I stopped watching Emerald City at ep 4. I went to IMDB to check out the episode descriptions for the rest of the season. I can't say I'm sad that I missed the final episodes. Eek Gads what were the writers thinking, get you to care about Dorothy and Lucas then pull that crap. I love the way you fixed it. Keep writing your amazing.

Syn
Guest chapter 18 . 9/1/2018
Loved your Story!
MoonshineMadame chapter 18 . 7/2/2018
Hey :)
This story is really really well written and I enjoyed reading it very much!
The loss of balance between the Cardinal witches makes sense, and that Glinda is affected most as she is Mother South's counterpart.
I like the way of defeating the beast forever forever, with the champion - and that Tip is the one who has to do it!
Leith show of powers are great, she is such a sweet little girl and her actions speak so much more than her few words ever could!
I have to admit that I like Glinda but since there are so few Emerald City FFs I decided to read this one despite the fact that she is not a really nice character - and though I was annoyed at times, it all worked out qell in the end!
The thanks for this great story!
fiesa chapter 18 . 3/7/2018
So - the end!

From Morwen's point of view. Peaceful, with liberal sprinkles of her sharp observation skills, tongue and sarcasm. I really came to like her in this story; you write her wonderfully.

She is accepting Dorothy, slowly but steadily. And one day she'll be ready to take over Mother South's position, too. While I'm wondering what that would entail, I think she'll manage well. Morwen has grown, too, throughout the story. It was really nice to watch.

This ending feels very, very peaceful. A perfect conclusion.

Thank you for sharing this.
fiesa chapter 17 . 3/7/2018
It took me some time, but I really wanted to know how you'd finish the story.

This is short and quiet, it even feels familiar reading it. Maybe that's because Dorothy's Kansas, of course, is familiar to her. I can't imagine what it must look like from Lucas' point of view. He struggles with describing it himself, of course, understandably. But he's willing to stay, despite all the strangeness - for Dorothy. You describe him well, with his torn feelings, his wariness and his determination.

There were only few sentences for Uncle Henry and Aunt Em, but I think I'd like them. They're open-minded and willing enough to go to Oz with Dorothy. I wondered, briefly, if they have nothing that binds them to Lucas-the-town, that they would so easily leave. But Dorothy as their daughter is enough for them. And they'll love Leith, I'm sure.

One last chapter.

Once again, thank you for sharing this story here. It's been a wonderful read, and I've been looking forward to every single update. None of them ever disappointed. Your writing is really, really good.
fiesa chapter 16 . 1/4/2018
You adressed different aspects of the story in this chapter that were yet unclear and, in my opinion, manage to fill some of the gaping plot and/or logical holes of the original series quite perfectly.

The imbalance, for one, shown by East (Wicked Witch, huh), but also Glinda's arrogance and Morwen's shift from being the vessel of truth and solance to being someone who barely cared about anything and anyone, was the major point. It conveniently also explains Dorothy's exceeptionally cruel decision to string Lucas up as a scare crow, again. Similarly, you give Tip the possibility to remain Tip and not being forced to be Ozma.

I also like how you adress and solve the challenge regarding the blight. It was a beautiful picture, the ending of this chapter, with the king and Leith dancing in the sunshine.

The tiger had the best supporting actor's role in this chapter, I think. It made me smile whenever it was mentioned.

And if Dorothy, in the end, decides to remain in Oz, and, perhaps, her family decides to join her - that would indeed be a fairytale happy ending :)

Thank you for another really great chapter! I loved reading it.
fiesa chapter 15 . 12/7/2017
Lucas point of view is always a pleasant change.

I'm glad it's Lucas, not Roan, or I am glad Lucas chose Lucas over Roan, or was it Roan who chose? And does it even matter? Sorry about that. He's a good guy. I hope he and Dorothy will be happy for the rest of their lives, where ever that might be.

This was an awesome final battle, even though I didn't quite get what happened at the end. Clearly, Leith did something. But what? And How? And why didn't it suck off all her powers, as it did with the Cardinal Witches? Which, by the way, were amazing, as well. I love how you describe them, Glinda as cool and focused, Morwen as a wildfire, Mother South as the directing, stabilizing influence she indeed is. And yes, I'd love to know how the other three perceive Dorothy. If I had to guess... I like the idea of her being a bit like steel. Like a scalpell that can hurt and heal at the same time. A healer, for hearts and bodies and minds. Hm.

They did it. They really did it. I wonder, why was it the Beast Forever if it could be killed? And is it really, really gone? I certainly hope so. Well done, Your Majesty. Emerald City is safe, and so are your people.

And the family reunion at the end was wonderful.

This is slowly reaching the end, isn't it? Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story.
fiesa chapter 14 . 12/7/2017
This is glorious, in so many ways.

The darkness of the barren lands, the hopelessness and everyone's instinct to flee. The Beast Forever, impossible to look at and impossible to look away. The muted yellow brick road, and the ultimate battle.

In the middle of reading, I realized why it felt so strange: usually it's the main character that fights. Here, the main character watches. Of course, Dorothy's involved - but the actual, physical fighting is done by Tip. The King. And that's - that's marvellous, actually, and I really enjoyed reading it.

If I had to guess I'd say that Dorothy only now accepted her power, and found the last piece of her absolute resolution. So the gauntlets reacted to her, finally coming home. Dorothy's a part of Oz now, though I don't know how irreversible this will be. I like to think she belongs there, with Lucas, with Leith. But she also belongs back home, to Kansas and Uncle Henry and Aunt Em and Toto. Which part of her will win?

This chapter was brilliant, and the last line was the best of all. Beautifully done, and so, so much fun to read. Thank you for sharing this story here.
fiesa chapter 13 . 12/7/2017
I always wondered about this Beast Forever.
The series never gave much explanation for it, so I guess the audience would be expected to imagine something. I never really did. I'm glad, because that way, your version has all the space it needs.

I really like this description of a beast, a formless shadow that kills everything within it, a bit like smog, a bit like a cloud of poisonous gas. A sentient being, somehow. Where did it come from, and why, and what is its aim? Will you answer these questions? It's not even necessary. But I love that you make me ask myself these thngs.

Lucas' and Dorothy's good bye was my favorite part. Like the series, you don't focus on romance too much, or almost not at all. But the scenes between the two of them are intense and very, very much like them. It suits them - and I really like the two together, the way you write them. I hope Lucas won't wait forever, and Dorothy won't die fighting, and they'll have a future together.

And Toto. Thank you for that. Leigh, too. And for sharing this story here.
fiesa chapter 12 . 12/7/2017
I'm a bit late. Sorry about that.

I enjoyed the way you bring Jane into the story, too. Of course, Dorothy has dreamed of her real mother for her entire life, most likely, but actually seeing her- I can imagine that must be very difficult. You've managed to describe those complex emotions very well. I'm glad they have the time, amidst the worry and fear, to get to know each other a bit better. I think the part I loved most was the fact that, in growing closer to her real mother bit by tiny bit, Dorothy realizes how much she loves her adoptive parents, and how she misses them. It's about family, in a way, and about the kinds of family that matter.

ALso, having parts of the story from Morwen's point of view is a pleasure, again and again. I had some trouble getting to like her, but then, none of the characters in the series is very likable right from the beginning, so there's that. But you've given her a name and a face and a purpose, and a character, as well. Currently, she's the most human of the witches to me - maybe because she has known war already, and dreads it so much. Also, because she dreads her own failures. It makes her very, very human. And her veiled stabs at Glinda - it's fun to read. Mother South feels like a mother. And Dorothy is growing. It's wonderful to watch.

So the male within the woman - clearly Ozma - will be able to kill the Beast Forever? Or will she just prepare its end? I'm looking forward to the way you will resolve the mystery and hopefully the fights, too.

I also wonder, will you include Jack and the Princess of Ev into the story? Who knows!

Thank you for sharing this story here, reading it is absolutely wonderful.
MadisonAgain chapter 1 . 11/7/2017
I'm really enjoying this story! Thank you!
fiesa chapter 11 . 10/3/2017
Wecome back! It's so nice to see you're writing on, even as the show got cancelled. At least, that's my last information... Well. Worse things happen every day, but that cliffhangar really wasn't nice.

Thank you for the new chapter, and for sharing the whole story here! I'm very glad your Lucas and Dorothy are together again, and that the thing about the compulsion - aka ucas trying to kill Dorothy - was solved. You created a solid, logical solution to that, and I'm going with it for my headcanon, I think. It must feel horrible, knowing someone is able to compel you to do things you wouldn't want to do in any case. Poor Lucas. I'm glad you're keeping his name, too, Roan was Glinda's tool, in a way.

While I liked the whole chapter, and especially the parts with Lucas and Dorothy together, I really enjoyed the magic middle part most. The way you describe Mother South makes me feel like I would like her very much, if I knew her. And even Morwen -despite all the reasons Dorothy has to mistrust her - seems not deceitful. Sharp, maybe, dangerous, but not arrogant and controlling like Glinda. The detailed thoughts you put into the magic, the colors, the feeling and the way it can be used, are beautiful, and fit very well. I'm looking forward to watch all four Cardinal Witches merge their powers, now, and hope they'll be able to defeat the Beast Forever. Possibly for good!

Thank you for this chapter, again. I enjoyed it a lot, well-written and amazingly, beautifully detailed as it was.
maxiefae chapter 11 . 9/25/2017
Love love love
Guest chapter 11 . 9/24/2017
So glad you updated! Can't wait to read the rest offbeat the story