Reviews for Different Paths
Cap'n Chryssalid chapter 5 . 1/24/2010
Far too rushed.

The narrative, especially in these later chapters, is simply far too hurried. Not that things proceeded in a reasonable pace earlier, but that could be excused as a "hectic" style introduction to the plot premise. However, the pacing really hurt the attempted storytelling.

Of course, there's also other more common issues found in many fanfics:

Use of the manga storyline while ignoring manga characterizations. OOCness, basically from the get go, and to a variety of degrees. Off kilter power scaling. No sense of late manga character relationships. Again: these are actually common enough (since apparently manga Ranma fans don't bother to read the source material anyway) that it doesn't necessarily deter any and all readership.

The pacing, however, is a serious issue that affects immersion.

I'm sorry I couldn't give a positive review, however some of the premise of the story (a "war" with the Amazons, the wedding tragedy, Akane's death as a rallying point (perhaps most well done in "Vengeance 1/2")) have enough promise that the story deserves an honest and forthright review. Rather than it simply being ignored.
Truce chapter 7 . 11/10/2008
Great story. Wish it was still being worked on, though. I have issues with Ranma still pining after Akane, though. Sure, she's back, alive, so grateful to see you again, yadda yadda, but the past few months being married to Nabiki ought to have more impact on him. Just saying.

Also, I just had to comment to agree with re:Tai Khan's comment. I'm sick of people projecting their own biases, especially religious ones, on the fics here. FFS, it's a different culture, learn to freaking respect it. You raised a valid point about the time loop thing, but as with many other fics I prefer to see where the author wants to run with it.

My beef with the stories here are mostly spelling/grammar-wise - issues that I can easily overlook, especially if the story's premise is an interesting one (although, admittedly, slogging through pages of butchered english is painful). On the other hand, I don't care to point out plot holes, OOCness, or what-have-you. To me that's the author's prerogative. I'm not gonna stop reading something, or criticize the author, just because I don't agree with the portrayal - and yes, I've read bunches of fics which I found distasteful, disagreeable, or just plain poorly thought out.
Ellen Kuhfeld chapter 6 . 1/1/2007
Good story, if dark; but Genma shouldn't be pandafied in this chapter, as he stole the Drowned Man water several chapters back.
Nadrek chapter 7 . 11/28/2006
I'm glad to see more of this, even if it is short.

Ranma and Cologne playing seems very out of sync - just days ago, he was prepared to use deadly force against her at the slightest provocation, and was fully capable of killing her.

As far as what the unbroken Nanban can do, that's an interesting question - I would expect that Cologne, Ranma, and Nabiki would discuss the possibilities at length prior to actually using it, and after resealing Happosai.
Mz-Kitty-Kat chapter 7 . 11/26/2006
Great update!

I look forward to what Nabiki's plans are for the Nanban mirror and Cologne's plans for Nabiki and Ranma.

I have to admit, I feel sorry for both Nabiki and Ranma and the predicament they're in. It feels like all their hard work in trying to keep their love ones has blown up in their faces although they were a bit extreme handing out security measures but still.

I can't wait till the next update!

Keep up the great work and I will continue to support this story.

Ja Ne
Innortal chapter 7 . 11/25/2006
Wondered when you would post this.

Not too bad, looking well, and looking forward to seeing what you can come up with next. Good luck getting past the block.

I seem to be having the same problem as well.
dennisud chapter 7 . 11/25/2006
What I like here is even with all she had gone through in this story Nabiki had her head on stright enough to ask about the Naban Mirror, and with Cologne helping here I wonder how far back and when they would jump back to?

dennisud
A.Nonymous chapter 7 . 11/21/2006
Tai-Kahn:

You do understand that Nerima is in Japan, don't you?

Not to start a flame-war but the Japanese attitude toward abortion isn't quite the same as that in the Bible Thumpn' United States. Getting an abortion in Japan is a viable form of contraception, and doesn't constitute proof that a woman is a heartless murderer.

I have long had difficulty with Ranma fanfics that project Evangelical christan values. Particularly the "Ranma gets raped" fics where Ranma doesn't even consider not keeping the rapist's baby. It's refreshing to see a fic that doesn't take that attitude.
Sopchoppy chapter 7 . 11/20/2006
Short, but Good Thanks for updating!
goku90504 chapter 7 . 11/20/2006
this was a great story so far please keep up the good work
Tai Khan chapter 7 . 11/20/2006
The impression I'm getting is, that by making this story so darkly toned and then bringing the Nanban Mirror back to the foreground for yet another attempt to correct the mistakes of the past... you've gotten caught up in a recurring loop, that foreseeably has no end.

The first error, as I see it, was turning Ranma and Nabiki's vengeful hatred of the Amazons to lesser irritants, but with near equal intensity. In short, you 'made' Ranma and Nabiki 'murderers', not 'avengers', that held life in little to no regard. So much so, in fact, that you didn't have Nabiki even contemplate the possibility of keeping her child. Her pregnancy was unplanned, unwanted, she knew where to have it aborted, so off she went. Keeping it wasn't never even a passing thought.

As it is, I don't see much potential for taking the story further. It's clear they're going after the Nanban Mirror, the undamaged one this time, which means that while they may be able to make changes in the past... they won't be able to reap any benefits from it. Which kind of makes the whole thing pointless.
ShadowBakaSama chapter 7 . 11/20/2006
It's nice to see this active again, and I like where you are going with this. The last chapter was a bit short, it's not nice to tease the readers. 8( So to make up for it you should write MOAR!
Dumbledork chapter 7 . 11/20/2006
This story is really great. A no bullshit Ranma and Nabiki getting rid of their problems... permanently. I like. Please write more. As for the Nanban mirror. I think they should go back and somehow avoid the abortion. And this should be a Ranma/Nabiki pairing.
John Tannius chapter 6 . 10/22/2006
I truly love this story. I even come back around a re-read it every few months. I really really really hope you have some more for us someday as I would hate to see this story slowly fade away unfinished.
Sopchoppy chapter 6 . 6/21/2006
Great Chapter, Great Story, I hope you one day continue it.