Reviews for The Tenth Scholar
Kodachi Claws chapter 4 . 12/1/2018
The conclusion was short, but fitting. I also liked how vague this was in terms of Vlad's actual status as a vampire. It leaves a lot of mystery, and just like many things in the mythos of the Gargoyles universe, are not exactly as humans remember.

All things considered, Vlad got off easy. He could have easily triggered a bad episode from Demona, but ultimately she rejected his offer on rather polite terms (for her), and I suppose nothing more needed to be said.

Overall, I enjoyed this as a short snippet into Demona's past.
Kodachi Claws chapter 3 . 11/26/2018
This was quite the exciting chapter! Good suspense, horror and action.

It seems the Strigori are also part of the 3rd race, but with even more mystery (undead)? Since Demona didn't turn, I'm assuming the being bitten by a vampire turns you into one is a myth in this universe.

I enjoyed the interactions between Vlad and Demona. While she was clearly using him as a means to an end, it felt like she developed some sort of begrudging respect for him.

It was also interesting how you tied Joan of Arc into this. I'm guessing the "Userper" De Rais spoke of was Lucifer?

To me it was also interesting how Vlad referred to himself as Dracula? Was that just what he liked to call himself and people made things up about him? Or is this the beginning of the true Dracula?

I guess I've got one more chapter to find out.
Kodachi Claws chapter 1 . 11/23/2018
I had just recently heard of this collaboration between you, GregX and several others. The SLG comics were simply not enough to do Gargoyles justice; even as an open ending, it just felt incomplete.

Anyway, this has a great setup. Not only do you show more of Demona's past, but you are mixing in another folklore that Pop Culture has done to death. What really helps is that you give an explanation for Dracula's origin while also combining it with the actual history of his inspiration.

I also liked the aesthetic for the local Gargoyles here; obviously they were the inspiration of the more demonic vampires in this universe.

It was cool including the Weird Sisters; no doubt they've been watching Demona (and MacBeth) over the centuries. Makes me wonder what they're doing now.

Also, is Setebos based on any myth? The way you describe him is almost like a classic Dracula, save the green skin and hooves. Either Vlad takes his form or is framed as the actual monster.
BlaqueTalon chapter 1 . 10/3/2017
An excellent read! I very thoroughly enjoyed fleshing out a small line from 'Dracula' into an in-depth, detailed and imaginative tale. Great characterization, nicely flowing dialogue and wonderful imagery. Kudos for the Carpathian Clan of gargoyles! Keep up the excellent work!
Guest chapter 4 . 4/12/2017
This is one creepy story. Through and through I love the atmosphere that you provided here. Poor Bluebeard, looking for the living among the dead. Hehehehe.
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 2 . 4/4/2017
Even more creepy...
GregX chapter 1 . 3/11/2017
Very creepy.

And, as a self-proclaimed Demona fanatic, who is very picky about how she's written... I think you do a terrific job with her.
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 1 . 3/11/2017
Creeeeepy...

I look forward to seeing more.