Reviews for Doing it my way
Beth5572 chapter 21 . 8/22
I would love to see what you write next. Your a great writer and your stories are great too. Keep up your great works of art.

Terri
missgsmith51 chapter 21 . 8/9
I really enjoyed your story. I like smart and smart*ss Harry a lot! I wish more people wrote him that way. I know some people miss the battles and deaths, and I've even read some fun (believe it or not) battles in which the Twins unleash their diabolical inventions on the DEs. However, I've enjoyed reading a few of your "happy ending" stories in which Voldy died by "remote control." Lately, I guess I've needed something a bit "lighter."

Thanks for sharing.
missgsmith51 chapter 19 . 8/9
I hope the spell worked. I also hope no one can tie it to Harry.
missgsmith51 chapter 17 . 8/9
"... I would rather be up high firing spells at them then be in one of the corridors." Once again, THEN should be THAN. "... I would rather be up high firing spells at them THAN be in one of the corridors."

It's surreal to watch young teens planning battle and evacuation strategies. I hope they're able to get Bill inside the Castle. Perhaps they can get Charlie to bring a couple of dragons to fly around the skies above Hogwarts and vaporize the bad guys.
missgsmith51 chapter 16 . 8/9
That was unexpected ... and Harry did it? Too bad he couldn't take Riddle out that way yet. I thought he was going to drain Draco's core. I guess Albus upped the stakes too far, and he got caught in his own trap.
missgsmith51 chapter 15 . 8/9
LOL at the earring! That would actually be perfect with the new, rebellious Harry. So, what will it be - a diamond stud, a gold hoop ... or one of Luna's radishes? (HeHe! Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

When did Minerva join their ranks? I guess Harry's little impromptu speech in her class made more of an impression than I thought.

I can't help wondering about Dumbledore. Could he be suffering from Dementia? Paranoia? Chemical dependency? I sure there are addictive potions that wizards abuse. His mind isn't tracking properly. I think they need to involve the Unspeakables.
missgsmith51 chapter 14 . 8/9
"Ron is angry with the situation because Ginny is hurt. He may write to his [parents] about this." That Harry is in love with Luna is what's bugging Ginny. Does Ron think he has the right to tell Harry to love Ginny instead? Even if he was foolish enough to tell him, he can't make it happen without love potions; and then it wouldn't be REAL love anyway.

I'm curious to know exactly how Harry plans to remove the DEs' magic.
missgsmith51 chapter 13 . 8/9
They need to get the Twins to create some magical things that the paintball guns could fire. If anyone could do it, they could.
missgsmith51 chapter 12 . 8/9
Why not use giant Portkey to evacuate the kids who need to leave - one for each House. Make it out of a long rope and have everyone who is going grab on. Send them to another school - one in Ireland, perhaps - or to a Muggle military base. Get the government in on things; contact the PM. Surely they would be willing to protect kids, and I bet they'd love to take out the big, nasty terrorist who thinks Muggles should die.

I worry about putting kids in the Chamber. Voldemort knows how to access it.
missgsmith51 chapter 10 . 8/9
"... more students come from muggle families or raised in the muggle world then the ones who were raised just around magical families." THEN should be THAN. You are showing a comparison or discrepancy, which requires THAN. "... more students come from muggle families or raised in the muggle world THAN the ones who were raised just around magical families."

As you present the case, I think Lupin can be compared to Peter in a way. Peter betrayed the Potters directly by his actions, giving up their location to Riddle. Harry sees Remus as having betrayed him as well, though it was more by inaction. For the first ten years, Dumbledore hid Harry from Remus and others. Harry may not like it, but I think he understands. Maybe. Then again, perhaps he wonders why someone at home in the Muggle world couldn't find him using Muggle means. I wonder that, as well.

A private eye, the police, or (the British equivalent of) the Department of Education should have been able to locate Harry Potter. It may have been tougher to get them to give up the information to a nonfamily member; but isn't that where magic could have helped? Harry probably could forgive that part of things. HOWEVER ... once they finally met, Remus told him very little about his parents. Why? Saying it made him sad to talk about them is not a good enough reason. Dumbledore telling him not to talk to Harry about his parents is REALLY not a good reason. In fact, it is such a ridiculous order that it should have made Remus suspicious very suspicious of Dumbledore.

I think the worst betrayal was not bothering to stay in contact with Harry after third year. If he thought James and Lily had wanted him to be a part of Harry's life, why did he ignore Harry? He really could have used support during his fourth year - letters and even visits. He was so alone. He could have used visits during the summer after third and especially fourth years, when he was suffering PTSD. Where the heck was Remus? He wasn't under house arrest or wanted by the Ministry. Allowing Dumbledore to dictate his actions simply tells Harry that Dumbledore is more important than Harry. Sorry, Remus. You have no good excuse for neglecting Harry, and this version doesn't seem very forgiving. Talk to Dumbledore about it.
missgsmith51 chapter 9 . 8/9
"... there were a lot more halfbloods and muggleborns then there was purebloods." THEN should be THAN. They are not interchangeable. THEN is related to time or sequence. THAN indicates a comparison. "There were a lot more Halfbloods and Muggleborns THAN there [were] Purebloods."
missgsmith51 chapter 8 . 8/9
"Ron was angry, not just at the situation which caused his sister to be hurt, but he was also becoming angry with Harry. He knew he had no right, not when it all started because of him. He believed Harry did enter the triwizard tournament and he didn't write because he followed Dumbledore's orders. He had hoped that eventually Harry would forgive him and Hermione, he knew now that it will never happen."

I don't recall Ron ever apologizing to Harry ... not a real apology. He never acknowledged calling Harry a liar, or any of the other things he did the previous year, and he never once asked Harry to forgive him for stuffing it up. Apologizing involves owning up to what one has done and asking the wronged person if he can forgive the wrong. Ron just ASSumed he was forgiven by walking into the tent after the first task. Why should Harry have to run after Ron, who did the betraying, and forgive him? Ron needs to get his head turned back around properly.

Well, it should be an interesting year.
missgsmith51 chapter 6 . 8/9
"... the ministry is finally doing something, they have assigned aurors to the train and Hogwarts."

"Are they aurors that you would trust?"

"Three are, Hestia, Kingsley and Tonks, the two young ones I haven't met, the older one, Dawlish, I won't trust ..."

Why doesn't Sirius include Mad-eye? Doesn't he trust Mad-eye? He actually tends to speak up when he feels Harry is being treated badly. Whether he does anything is another story; but he does tell them when they're doing something that is going to cause trouble ... and he's usually right.

I suppose the girls are Cho and Marietta?
missgsmith51 chapter 5 . 8/9
I couldn't stop laughing at Harry's smart*ss behavior at the beginning of the chapter. I could just picture him apparating away on his own, then sitting around eating ice cream while smirking at everyone. I can't wait 'til Hermione reads him the riot act for wearing Muggle clothing instead of robes. Oh! I'm sure she will scold him (or want to) for apparating, too. Will Molly get in on the act, as well? I'm sure McGonagall will be plenty ticked off about the robes.

Harry must know he isn't going to be able to get away with no robes and apparating all over the place, so is he basically just winding them up?

Harry is starting to ask some difficult questions of Sirius about himself and Remus, and I'm not sure Harry likes the answers he's getting. If Dumbledore told them not to tell him things he really deserved (needed, even?) to know, they need to be very honest about why they went along. Frankly, I think a lot of the reasons Remus and Sirius usually give sound like excuses for just sticking with the status quo rather than pushing to really help Harry. I'm sure Harry does, as well.

Harry has definitely twigged to Sirius's need to seek revenge over seeing to Harry's needs. What would have happened in 1981 if Sirius had followed Hagrid and stuck with him and Harry wherever they went instead of haring off after Peter? What if he'd have shown up at 4PD with Hagrid and Harry? Would Dumbledore have persisted in leaving Harry with Petunia in the face of Sirius's refusals and McGonagall's comments about their unsuitability? Would he have Obliviated Sirius? Right now, is Harry afraid to tell Sirius about the Dursleys' treatment of himself because he thinks Sirius will once again seek revenge and wind up back in Azkaban? Or does he fear being seen as weak and unlovable somehow?

Now that Harry has begun requesting accountability from the two Marauders, does Remus even stand a ghost of a chance of being forgiven?
missgsmith51 chapter 4 . 8/9
LOL! I love the newspaper article! Too bad no one outed Rita Skeeter for being a nasty, eavesdropping, backstabbing beetle animagus. I hope that one is coming soon!

Fudge must be about ready to have a stroke, if Magicals have them. This has to be the first time the naked truth has ever been printed about him. Oops! The Minister has no clothes! Umbridge and Lucius probably aren't doing much better right now.