Reviews for We have hung our harps on the willow-tree
Redwulf7 chapter 1 . 12/31/2017
That was spot on, I loved it! Thank you!
AzureSkye23 chapter 1 . 4/13/2017
I love the sense of hollowness in the first paragraph. Morgoth is speaking of everything in the past tense, even though ostensibly it still exists. Then to go from that to the music that echoes through the hollowness—lovely. I love how you create Morgoth’s awareness of everything as music, and his musing on how his own music has changed. This is an interesting Morgoth, one who is almost resigned to his fate, one who understands that who he is, his vital self, is no longer really contained in his fána.

And then, of course, we get to Mairon. “You’ve never cursed and desired and loathed and worshiped something all at once.” “Haven’t I?” And of course, Melkor doesn’t get it. I love the fact that Melkor has no idea how Mairon sees him. It’s oddly fitting for this version of Morgoth.

And then, of course, the forging scene. Oh, goodness. Melkor’s right that Mairon would spend a thousand years forging crowns (serious perfectionist) but there is just something so metaphorically perfect about Morgoth forcing Mairon to both be satisfied with the flaws, as well as becoming something flawed himself. It’s paralleled beautifully by the previous scene where Melkor reflects he won Mairon over because he was the only one who believed that Mairon could fix anything. Now he’s the one taking that away from him. The line: “And shrieked with the agony of the damned.” perfectly reveals that, even while we’re in Morgoth’s head.

(One little nitpick-y confusion, though, you say that Mairon burns the metacarpal of his ring finger. Metacarpals are the bones inside the palm, so I’m kinda confused as to how that works. I think you want a phalange instead.)

Then, of course, that end scene. I love the little detail that Mairon fidgets normally, and is only still when he’s lying or hiding something. Then, of course, that end scene, with Morgoth demanding that Mairon finish what he started. Mairon laughter is a gorgeous ending, his refusal to continue to be a flaw, though, of course, we all know that won’t last, and he’ll end up doing exactly what Morgoth said. With considerable more artistic flare, though, at least until the Third Age. And then you bring the story full circle, and Melkor is musing about the music that won’t cease again. Lovely.
Laerthel chapter 1 . 3/18/2017
This is one very fine piece of work (again.. :) ). It's bordering IMPOSSIBLE to grasp Melkor's or Mairon's character, and I'm glad I've had the chance to read your own interpretation!

One of the hardest things when you're writing Tolkien is to know and understand that not all the characters are humans, and this brings changes not only on cultural and sociological levels, but in their ways of thinking and self-expression as well. As complex as this is to realize and implement, once you really think through what it means and set your own strandards to determine what an Elf's, a Dwarf's or a Maia's (etc.) mindset would be like, it gets utterly rewarding. And I feel the same here with Melkor and Mairon: they are not depicted as humans, their minds don't feel like human at all, and that does them a great service. Perhaps this only comes from your general understanding of characters who's been existing since the beginning of times, perhaps this was not the aim of your ambitions at all, but it pulls me into the story and makes my reading experience just as excellent as your previous piece did. Melkor, for one, is sort of an empty recipient here(to me): and by reading, I've got the impression that everything Melkor ever truly was (or everything he thought he was) has been created by his first Song - and since that moment at the beginnings of Time, he only gets weaker. He fades, because unlike the others, he cannot live on through his creations: his creations depend of him, they can't continue existing without him and they fall to darkness with him when he does. He just really feels like an empty shell, or a corpse that is starting to enter rigor mortis. And I like that.

I also like Mairon and how ambition and creation flaws through him. In a way, I think he's even more enigmatic then Melkor - I've tried many times to write about him and always failed. (With Melkor, I never even tried).
Also,the scene where he fitted the Silmarils into the crown... it made me smile with delight. It was just excellent, really. (And METEORIC IRON!)
It was also a great idea to mention how the Oath of Feanor did such a great job in fulfilling Melkor's intentions. And I was mesmerized by the way Mairon left (and by how he is still called Mairon).

Oh, and let me mention for another time how utterly beautiful your writing style is, and how I enjoy reading it, with its small and precious details and perfectly chosen half-words. (Since people usually don't believe me when I say positive envy exists, so I'd rather not bring envy to the picture). But again, I could write, like, 5 pages about which things and sentences and elements I liked the most (and honestly, I promise you that one day, with one of your works, I shall do it! :D )

And one last thing: are you certain that Mairon never saw the light of Trees...? This was the only thing that bugged me.

Thank you for the experience, yet again!:)
Galad Estel chapter 1 . 3/18/2017
This story made me so happy? Like it's a complete defeat for Morgoth, except for that little flutter of hope at the end (I mean not that I really want Melkor to win, but it's still sad to see him so defeated and cut up), but I was just really excited reading this fic. I've seen quite a few really interesting fics set from Mairon's pov, but not as many from Melkor's, and I really loved how you captured the personal dynamic of these conflicting yet co-existing dark lords.

I liked how Melkor didn't realize Mairon was talking about him when he said, 'haven't I?' and the whole mini-fight when Sauron was upset that the crown was imperfect when compared with Feanor's Silmarils.

I really liked the line "a playground for barnacles and a graveyard for sharks." And also the mentions of music and not being able to get away from it. And oh! how Melkor describes Eonwe as cruel and wondering how he can touch The Silmarils. In other words what qualifies as "pure" according to the other Valar.

And I also really liked the end, with Sauron being so snarky but also still sort of attached to Melkor and his legacy.