Reviews for Return to Oz
Lady Murdock chapter 1 . 7/20
I love this story! Please please please update!
Guest chapter 6 . 9/3/2018
Love your story so far. I hope you update again soon.
ranlynn chapter 6 . 7/8/2018
Your story is a slow build but weel worth 6he wait.
MoonshineMadame chapter 6 . 7/2/2018
Hey!
This is a really nice story, I watched Emerald City a while ago and it really is a pity that they didn't renew it. But I like your writing style and most of the content of this story is plausible.
It's interessting that you brought Mother South to Ev now, I'm sure West will be thrilled!
As for Glinda, I really hope that she sees reason or turns out to actually not be as bad as she seems here - and that she'll continue to teach Dorothy and eventually Ozma, because she is the teacher for a reason.
Assigning Leith/Sylvie to Mother South is an unexpected twist, I would have expected her to go back with Glinda and be trained in Calcedon because she's afraid of using her powers again to hurt someone. Then again, Glinda isn't in Calcedon and since Sylvie's power is apparently stone it would make sense as well if she stayed with her.
Coming to think of Calcedon, if the wizard was still in charge he surely would attack Calcedon - and Glinda would be so mad if she wasn't there!
Now Jack and Langwidere are really such a sweet pair and I truly hope that once she is freed, Jane will restore both of them to their former glory. Though I am not quite sure what Dorothy would say about that...she didn't seem thrilled about her mother's experiments!
I hope the next chapter is up soon!
MoonStars chapter 6 . 6/14/2018
I really enjoy how this story is coming along. I think you are staying true to how the characters were originally portrayed. The only criticism I make though is putting a line break or something to show that the scene has changed. I was very confused when the point of view changed between Dorothy and Jack. I would have to re-read it 2-3 times before realizing it was from another point of view. Good job with everything else!
fiesa chapter 5 . 3/8/2018
Huh.

How did they find out about Eamonn? I wonder...
I like the way you portray him. He might have the role of the cowardly lion, but I think in many aspects, he's not cowardly. He's a fighter. He took orders. Now, especially, he'd rather face the crowd and the consequences than continue to hide away his shame at his past actions, putting the wellbeing of his family over his own. While I do not know exactly what happened in the past - except for the obvious facts, that he killed the king and queen and almost Ozma, too - I also do now know his reasons, and the circumstances of that decision. If it was an order from a superior, or whether it really was a cowardly act born from only fear for his own life. The way you describe him here makes me think that he's not one, but made a mistake. Maybe it was the way he chose to live with the consequences of his actions that made him a coward? Hm...

Dorothy and Lucas are slowly getting used to each other again, I think. She is learning to forgive Lucas. Lucas is learning to forgive himself. Or, at least, accept.

Training with Glinda? This is going to be good :) On a side note, I'm getting used to Micah. He seems like a good man.

And Jane. That was an interesting insight into her mind, and while I have the feeling that I don't yet understand much (I don't know whether you are/she is referring to events, people and places from the series, or from other sources, except for, of course, Jack) I am sure all of this will clear up in time.

Reading the newest chapter was a lot of fun. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story here!
emeraldarrows chapter 4 . 1/5/2018
Lovely story.
fiesa chapter 4 . 12/9/2017
Oh, and there Eamonn is, how wonderful!

Of all the personifications of the original tale, I liked this interpretation most: the cowardly lion. A man who did terrible things out of fear, and who was punished for it. I liked him because he was a good friend to Lucas, and Roan. And while killing Ozma's parents is not anything she should be able to forgive, I understand his side, too. People who love are afraid of losing the things/ones they love, and that way probably always open to manipulation.

I hope Lucas will be able to find his family, but since they do not remember Eamonn I don't know what good it will do.

Once again, I really enjoyed this chapter, and especially the changes in perspective between the characters. My favorites so far probably are Lucas, Dorothy and Jack. The first two because I like them and you write them beautifully, together with all their fears, doubts and emotions. Jack, because I have the feeling I don't yet know him, and I have the feeling that there is still something missing here. He's one of the few characters who technically has not made a selfish decision that had broad, all-encompassing consequences. Or has he? And I hope he and Tip can be friends again, but if Tip stays Ozma - well. A lot of conflicts still to solve, I guess.

And I really enjoyed the way you describe magic and how you let it work. The paragraph with Ozma and Dorothy training - and West watching - was a lot of fun to read.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story here!
fiesa chapter 3 . 12/9/2017
Well-written and well-set-up, and I have to say, I have no idea what plans you have with the characters and the story. I'm enjoying this a lot, just following behind the story and seeing where it goes. Especially because you include all the characters - Jack, even - and I'm eager to see what reasons, excuses and motivations you give them. One season of this series was not enough to make me feel like I understand the characters, and reading helps.

So far, I've seen a few versions of the Tip/Ozma dilemma and yours is insofar interesting that Tip and Jack interact again on a friendly basis. I am intrigued. Also, since Tip is so uncomfortable as Ozma but the people want a queen, how are you going to resolve that problem? What about the Princess of Ev? Did she die? Who knows... And Eamonn, too, is shrouded in mysteries.

This meeting between Glinda and Dorothy was... interesting. I wonder if they'll ever confront each other in private.

I really like the way you have Dorothy and Lucas interact. She still does not seem to trust him completely but it is clear she wants to, and also that she still feels something for him. Hm.

Was that Mother South? The voice sounded like Mother South :)

Thank you for sharing this wonderful chapter here! Reading it was a joy.
fiesa chapter 2 . 12/8/2017
I've been wanting to read this story for some time now and finally managed the first two chapters. I'm glad I stumbled over it, especially since the series has now been cancelled (?).

You write extremely well. I like the way you characterize the protagonists: their fears and hesitations, the anger and the overall emotions are very present, and their actions realistic and point-on. Their actions and reactions are logical, or, more on point, human. Lucas' explanations brought Dorothy back to Oz, for the sake of fighting the Beast Forever, but it wasn't an easy way and no easy decision for her. I'm especially happy you included Aunt Em and Uncle Henry, it emphasized the fact how little Dorothy wants to return but finally does because she sees it as her duty. Her complex feelings towards Roan and Lucas, too, you display beautifully, and the explanation you give in ch. 2 for Roan's attack on Dorothy is solid and realistic, to me. Being afraid of falling apart - that is quite a motivation.

I also very much liked how you changed the point of view of the narrator, now and then. I'm ambivalent towards West - I don't trust her, I think - but I dislike Glinda even more. With the two of them and Ozma/Tip, you've shifted the storytelling perspectives again and again, and I'm still not ready to trust anyone quite yet but I am really enjoying the read. Glinda, especially, was haughty and arrogant and sounds like she wants to rule the entirety of Oz - something I can well imagine - and I'm looking forward how these clashing interests will play out.

Also, I'm glad you include Toto. He's my favorite character :)

Also, I am hoping for a happy end, at least for Lucas and Dorothy, but I'll see to that when it comes!

Thank you for sharing this story here! It's beautiful to read and a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the other two chapters already posted.
ryebrewster chapter 4 . 11/27/2017
So happy to see you back to this-and to see the trust rebuilding between Dorothy and Lucas. So sweet.
FineFettle chapter 4 . 11/27/2017
So incredibly glad to see this latest chapter- you don't disappoint! Fabulous continuation/continuity of storyline and character development- there's a lot to deal with psychologically here, and I love how you are handling it all. Well done! Can't wait for the next chapter:)
FineFettle chapter 3 . 10/15/2017
Just read your piece and actually joined FanFiction because of your story! I hope you plan to continue your work on this- because this is absolutely brilliantly captured and presented. Stunning job.
Emerald city fan chapter 3 . 8/5/2017
Keeep writing, this is a great story and has so much potential. I love Emerald city!
maxiefae chapter 3 . 7/11/2017
Love love love love love love love