Reviews for The Exceptionals
SilkBunnies chapter 8 . 5/22
This story is so charming and fun to read.
The Daleks' Advocate chapter 8 . 5/22
Nice calmer chapter. I wonder whether Sec's initial burst of distrust for Claraesia is due to his Dalek or human side? But I love their building relationship. Is Sec a tiny bit smitten, hehe? And I love Sec and Martha's friendship. I laughed at the lady killer comment! And with the Doctor. Basically, they're all so cute together!

But Sec's right, them meeting Claraesia right now is a bit of a coincidence. Is someone manipulating the timelines? Caaaaaaan! ;-)

(One a side note, there's a mangled paragraph when the Doctor tells Sec he should go and check on the Angel. Also there's an extra bit when says: "You can move when I move when I see you.")
GingerFury chapter 8 . 5/21
Ah this chapter is brilliant, with Claraesia on board the exceptionals are now four strong and I can't wait to see who else they will meet in more spin-off material. I also absolutely love the bond that seems to have formed between Sec and Claraesia. By the way is there going to be a Sontaran exceptional? If so are they going to appear in original material or in material from the show like The Sontaran Stratagem? Just a random thought.
Son of Whitebeard chapter 7 . 5/15
an interesting cult
The Daleks' Advocate chapter 7 . 5/14
This chapter is EPIC. And hilarious. Epicly hilarious? I suspected Roboforms, because, yes, whiffs of temporal energy, but they don't usually go around looking like Stormtroopers. :-D Then I wondered whether some Nestene consciousness around was possessing Stormtrooper costumes... But I didn't expect a convention taking place in parallel!

I can't stop laughing at the Cybermen-costumed guys. What were they thinking indeed. I kinda regret "this is not war, this is pest control" Sec didn't get to speak before they realised those "Cybermen" weren't the real deal. :-D I'll admit I've always loved pure Dalek Sec more than his later hybrid self (too nice!), but at least it's great Martha got to tell them off after losing Adeola.

Had the first Roboform seen Sec both with and without his perception filter? Otherwise, he could have sneaked on the leader by pretending to be a convention attendee and asking to take a picture. Imagining Sec doing that would have been rather funny. Talk about humiliating for possibly the highest-ranking member of the supreme beings. :-D

Still, he saved the day, yay, go Sec! (Without even an "exterminate" when he slapped the deactivating device on the Roboform leader, I'm disappointed. ;-) ) While expected, I'm glad the friendly Angel helped and saved his life. I hope they'll find a way to allow her to speak, I'm very curious to hear her story.
GingerFury chapter 7 . 5/14
Another great chapter can't wait for next week's. Of course the bloody pilotfish pop up to cause trouble again, by the way the thing with them dressing up as storm troopers and the prime unit being Vader was hilarious. Hooray they found the Angel, or well she found them, and she saved Sec. I must admit I find the bond Sec and the Angel seem to have developed is a bit cute. Oh and another thing that I've been wondering about is is Sec going to stay alive through all of the Doctor's adventures, if he stays, because as far as I know the natural life span of a Dalek is unknown, and probably invalidated by their casings, and Sec is part human as well so I'm honestly curious about what you're going to do with that.
The Daleks' Advocate chapter 6 . 5/8
Haha, thanks for the shoutout.

A great chapter again. The quiet scene when Sec reaches out to the Angel is adorable. Count on the Doctor and Martha to ruin the moment! Also, I couldn't help but be stupidly excited that you used the ExCel as a location (aah, fond memories of the 50th Anniversary Celebration! :-D )

But what, what, what? The Doctor's remark makes me think it's a Stormtrooper (and it fits the description), but what would a Stormtrooper be doing in the Doctor Who universe? A leftover from the last Star Wars convention, used as a disguise / puppet?
GingerFury chapter 6 . 5/7
Oh I am positively giddy for the next chapter. Damn I hope they find the Angel and can help it. By the way is this what other spin-off materials will be like, finding the ones who are one in a million in the different species, the exceptionals if you will.
The Daleks' Advocate chapter 5 . 5/1
I really like the explanation you found for Sec to survive. Nothing fancy, just a slightly different turn of the argument in the theatre.

As far as I'm concerned, the shorter the better when it comes to paraphrasing the plot of actual episodes. I did enjoy reading the bits in this chapter that truly differ, though, especially the one with Tim. Do I smell a longer-term plot there? ;-) Either way, I'm eager to reach your original spin-off plot.

I wonder what was in that locked room. It did sound a lot like it were another weeping angel (quantum locked door, no ability to speak), but also... not. Could it be a rogue one, the weeping angel equivalent of Sec among the Daleks?
GingerFury chapter 5 . 4/30
Another great chapter. I can't wait to see what the spinoff plot will be.
Synonym chapter 2 . 4/14
This is Synonym.
I accidentally posted the review before it was finished, so here's the rest of it.
I've been noticing a lot of alternatives for "said/asked." More so in the first chapter than the newest one. I'll be honest: it's distracting. Especially when they're back to back. Ex: "he boasted, he declared, he chimed in, etc."
"Said" and "asked" are like bread and water; they're nothing fancy, but they get the job done. I'll use an alternative every so often, but I only do it if it's crucial to the delivery of the dialogue.
I'm still not sold on Sec. His point of view is stilted and leaves me feeling cold. I still feel like he's just reacting to everything. That isn't necessarily a fault of the writer, but the source material. He's not exactly one of the more memorable villains. But to each their own.
This was better. I haven't really reviewed anything related to the plot yet, but it's still too early for me to get a read on it. That being said, I look forward to the next update.
GingerFury chapter 2 . 4/16
By the way sorry for my rather long-winded and ramble-like review
GingerFury chapter 3 . 4/16
Great chapter. It's nice to see that that stint in Manhattan is having an effect on Sec and showing how human he is becoming by being affected by trauma. Also I've been wondering, when you say spinoff story do you mean that Sec will eventually leave the Doctor and do his own thing, like Jack with Torchwood, or will he still travel with the Doctor, because I don't know about you but I want to see what Davros would be like after seeing Sec or something like that. Good God know I've got images of Sec taking Donna's place, imagine that the Doctor Dalek and the Dalek Doctor
Synonym Roll chapter 2 . 4/14
Suuuure, Sec. I'm sure the stage manager will be just hunky dory with the giant fucking hole upstage.
Frank was perfect. As a Southerner, I'll give you kudos for not overdoing the accent.
I
goji chapter 2 . 4/9
hey! you sent me a rec for this on tumblr and i gotta say i wasn't expecting my squid-related emotional attachment to be Reawakened but well... here we are
this is really cute and i'm definitely looking forward to reading more! i have a huge soft spot for the whole "former enemy becomes weird sidekick" trope so anything centering around that concept is just a delight for me

a couple critiques, though-i know the temptation to describe mundane actions through Sec's limited understanding is a strong one, but in certain cases it interrupts the flow of the text hard enough to jog me out of the immersion. ex: when Sec yawns, it shouldn't take a good few moments of guesswork for a reader to infer what the description indicates. instead try something like: "he was about to continue when he was interrupted by a sudden, involuntary intake of breath." it's more concise and understandable. a good rule of thumb is that if it sounds awkward when you read it aloud, it needs another editing pass!

similarly, there are some run-on sentences at the beginning of this chapter and toward the end of the last that might bungle reader comprehension.

that aside, though, this was a fun read and i look forward to the next installment!