Reviews for Sarah vs The Caveat Emptor
CharmingCharles2896 chapter 6 . 7/12
Great story, filled with heart, and romance; this was such a deep story, that had so many layers to it. I really enjoyed this story, well done!
Praday chapter 2 . 3/3
So touching this chapter ! And that end... so sweet
Kelt45 chapter 6 . 2/25
It is sad that Rachel doesn't seem to be active anymore on FF and only seems to have written this one story in the Chuck universe. I think this is one of the better post-finale canon compliant short stories out there. It doesn't try and do too much and just focuses on what Chuck says on the beach and the immediate aftermath. It has enough sexy content to earn the M rating, but it mostly occurs in only a few later chapters and is tastefully done. I recommend this story to all readers who can handle the M rating.
Soccerfan37 chapter 6 . 2/25
Thank you for this wonderful story, I really hope you still get these review/reactions.
This is a gem of a story and I really hope you continue to write if only for your own entertainment.
Again Thank you for sharing such a charming and emotionally satisfying story.
Dan Anderson chapter 6 . 12/8/2020
This is one of my new favorite stories. It’s incredible to see so much character development (or maybe less ‘development’ and more ‘realization’) in such little time. Even though this change in Sarah happens so fast - in less than twelve hours - it doesn’t feel rushed or cheapened because of how much time you give her to explore and confirm her findings. I love how you let her explore everything emotionally, logically, physically, and verbally.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about this story is the depth to which it reaches and analyzes Sarah’s self. One of my favorite aspects of the Chuck series was that it wasn’t just about Chuck. Sarah was far more than just a one, two, or even three-dimensional love interest. She was written to be just as meaningful, deep, dynamic, and complex as Chuck. The show was just as much her story as it was Chuck’s, and you nail that here.

The minimalistic plot allows for an incredibly appealing level of depth, especially in the first two chapters. I appreciate that you made this story just as much about dealing with Sarah’s sense of being lost in the beginning as it was about her re-finding Chuck. It’s easy to understand the appeal of their re-connection from our own perspective (or Chuck’s for that matter), knowing how much they were missing and how great they were/are together, but it’s easy to forget what would motivate Sarah to seek that connection. In that context, you do a phenomenal job describing Sarah’s sense of incompleteness and disorientation, making the import of their reunion for her the inexplicable security and comfort her soul has come to find with Chuck.

All of this would be impossible to achieve gracefully without your amazing way with words. It’s not overly complex but perfectly clever and simple to allow the reader to get lost in the words and understand the beautiful concepts you convey.

Thank you so much for writing!
Dan Anderson chapter 4 . 12/8/2020
It's good to see Sarah slowly coming to terms with her life and desires, even if she doesn't understand them. I really like the idea of small items from her life triggering "flashes" of memories.
Dan Anderson chapter 3 . 12/8/2020
I like how you gave Burbank a small-town feel, even though it's in the middle of L.A. I'm looking forward to seeing how both Sarah AND Chuck deal with this transition.
Dan Anderson chapter 2 . 12/7/2020
The contrast between how she felt about Chuck in the first chapter and how she feels about him now, in his presence, is stark. You make it very clear that the impression he made on her transcends emotions and feelings and memories.

Common sense would dictate that the interaction between these two under these circumstances should be supremely awkward. I mean, interactions between two people, one of whom has a crush on the other, are awkward enough - and this is even worse: magnified by 5 years of intense love on Chuck’s part. I think the congenial nature of their conversation is a testament to both Chuck’s maturity and learned self-assuredness and the (seemingly) inexplicable comfort Sarah feels around him.

I loved hearing the conversation we experience only in the montage in the show, especially hearing Chuck’s abridged rendition of their five years together. I would have liked to read more of Sarah’s internal reaction to hearing the story. For example, when Chuck offers to stop, she quickly interrupts and says she wants to hear more. I’d love to know what’s going on in her head at that moment, what made her insist so quickly and strongly. She’s obviously deeply affected by Chuck and hearing their story, but I want to know how’s she’s processing that. Hopefully, that will be covered in the coming chapters.

I’ve read a lot of fan fiction stories that deal with the finale, but this is already in my top three, even though this is only chapter 2 and we’ve experienced only a couple of minutes beyond the show. Thank you for writing!
Dan Anderson chapter 1 . 12/7/2020
I like how you characterize her pull to find more about her past as less of a desire to find love again and more of a desire to get un-lost. It’s not so much that she wants things to go back to the way things were (after all, she doesn’t know what it felt like to be in love and be as human as she came to be, so how can she want it) as it is there being something off, not right in her life and she wants that piece to fall in place. Although not as romantic, your version feels a lot more realistic; and I would argue that the plausible is actually more romantic than the fantastical.

Your portrayal of Sarah’s mission to hunt Quinn as being just as much about getting away from the “implications” of her situation as it was stopping Quinn is significant to me because it means she understands the importance of what she had. The same goes for the efforts she goes to armor herself up for the debriefing. It all means she cares, at some level at least. Being professional is one thing, but being intentionally professional is another. Her hiding is an acknowledgment that there’s something to hide from.

Your line “She didn’t fully trust him, but when she wondered what she couldn't trust him with, she couldn't find anything, and that frightened her” is perfect. I love it.

I also love how you show throughout the chapter how Sarah’s heart has been changed, even if she doesn’t have the feelings to fill it or make sense of the changes. For example, she no longer wants to kill, and she desires not to be alone, or the way the lyrics relaxed her at the end of the chapter.

It’s one thing for an author to craft characters within a new narrative, but it’s another to be able to dive into a character inside of a story that we already know and yet add so much. Especially for a character like Sarah, who struggles to verbalize her thoughts and feelings, it’s a gift to be able to peek inside her mind. Even though the entire chapter was straight thinking and wondering, you were able to write it to be just as engaging as a scene packed with action and dialogue.

I was briefly afraid that she would leave before Chuck had the chance to find her, but now I’m just excited to see how you interpret Sarah’s side of their conversation. Thanks so much for writing!
Thankful chapter 2 . 10/14/2020
God, this chapter was so good! In fact I wish this second chapter has been the last episode of chuck. Just the entire episode of him sitting on the beach telling Sarah their story. Beautiful job!
Steelejay chapter 6 . 8/26/2020
This was as good as I hoped it would be. Sarah rediscovering who she's capable of being, who she really is when she let's herself, was a joy to read.
Steelejay chapter 2 . 8/26/2020
I have a bad habit of just clicking next to get to the next chapter, then leaving a review at the end of the story rather than expressing thoughts on each chapter. I did it without even realizing it at the end of chapter 1, and I find myself now at the end of chapter 2 with wet cheeks and joy in my heart that there's more to come. This is a wonderful perspective on their conversation that was simply a musical montage in the show. So very well done and your insight into Sarah is fantastic.

You could have left it here and it still would be one of the best resolutions to the show I've every read. The last two words of this chapter sum it up perfectly to this point.
Ancientgamer chapter 1 . 6/3/2020
Wonderful, wonderful story. This story has been my entry into Chuck fanfiction. I've read it about once a week for the last two months. It eased my heart and has allowed me to fall in love with Chuck again. Thank you.
talestocryover chapter 3 . 6/1/2020
Wen you have time explain Elle's relationship to Sarah. I don't know this story. And the kidnapping and car crash. Wow!
talestocryover chapter 2 . 5/29/2020
Dominatrix Heidis? Freezer video sneak peaks?This tale has it all. I wish I had known about the Intersect when I was in High School. I would have graduated on time.
Very detailed and descriptive. Chuck and Sarah are sympathetic characters. I hope Chuck's head does not explode with all that info.
Ch. 3 this weekend.