Reviews for Standing Up
Bookeater-otaku chapter 6 . 8/27
Humm, it's a good follow up from the previous chapter and I must say that you captured the characters of Eraser Head and the Principal Netzu to a T.

As for our hero experience and training in developing is quirk, it would be nice to see what he as already tried or done in the last years since loosing is mentor. The manga give some good ideas but it could be an opportunity to expend a little before the training montage. Which I am really looking forward to!

I got plenty of ideas for training exercises if you are looking for suggestions. I would be happy to contribute.
NeoNazo356 chapter 6 . 8/27
I'm really looking forward to Kouichi actually MEETING the rest of the staff. I'm also curious whether or not it'll come up that it was BECAUSE of the Vigilantes that Trigger was taken off the streets; I mean, if they HADN'T left all those breadcrumbs for the Heroes to follow, Trigger might STILL be out, since all the MOMENTUM it had gained showed the Heroes had ZERO impact on its overall mobility. Nedzu's INTEREST in Vigilanted, their Quirks, and the PATHS that they take towards their respective cultivation is definitely an interesting tangent to think about.
Matador Matty chapter 6 . 8/27
This was a short, but nice chapter! I appreciate Aizawa's harshness towards Kouichi- it feels natural for his character- and Kouichi being so hurt by what he sees as Aizawa's callous dismissal of Knuckle-Duster as a vigilante makes me wanna hug him! Overall, I found this chapter to be a nice, quiet interlude after the action-packed "My Starting Line". You also got in some very funny one-liners, like the one about coffee replacing blood! I got a great laugh from it, you can count on that. Very good work as usual, bro!
kylC chapter 6 . 8/27
Thanks for the update!
kylC chapter 5 . 8/16
If not for this fic I wouldn't have known about the vigilante spinoff. Thank you.
(also this is amazing I love)
Keep up the great work!
Bookeater-otaku chapter 4 . 7/21
Heh, forgot to mention that you might be more right than you might think with the three years gap. I'm the manga, when Ingenium talk about his little brother, Idaho can't take turns yet and in a more recent chapter (#9 and 9.5) (SPOILERS) we see a younger Stain that goes after Vilains rather than heroes.

So your setting at the beginning of the story placed 3 years prior to MHA might not be so wrong after all.
Bookeater-otaku chapter 5 . 7/21
I just read through the first five chapters and I loved it. I love Illegal and MHA so I thought it was a neat way to combine the two.

It was sad for Knuckles Duster but it serve as a good platform for Crawler to rise up. And I find it a bit disappointing the distance that grew between him and Pop.

But I wonder why he never tried to take the test to apply at an agency as a sidekick to earn qualification and then take a federal test or something to earn a permit? Ingenium suggested something like that.

I have guessed he would had more fighting experience in the three years gap or made more equipment for himself but the cable was a good nod toward his master.

I was surprised by the lack of weapon (maybe a baton or a taser) but I guess it wasn’t his focus. But I guess for someone who fought so many different quirk he would have demonstrated some more ingenuity in analysing and using what he as to counter them. Like some kind of streets smarts if you will. Maybe he will have the chance to shine in that aspect later. (Face Bakugou who charge him only to get a face full of mace. LoL.) If one thing is Master would have teach him is to fight dirty. I guess Koichi would be good against other mover type since like Ida since he as a mover type quirk too and would be use to the weakness of those.

As the Principal said, a Quirk developed on the street is an undocumented field.

As for the quirk development, the mysterious way the debris had fallen when he saved the man from the collapsing warehouse is an interesting clue on what he could do. Deflection of small projectiles, a sort of hovering armor over his body that react with contact no? In the manga we see him use more than three points of contact (generally four) to use is quirk but who said it was his limit? He could use it punch people without hurting is fit or palm, add more anchor to surface to help scale walls (I see it as something like in Airgears, the manga by Oh Great! for busting some moves on vertical surfaces), float over water like an hovercraft or simply lay on his back like he was doing street luge and cast as many hover circles he could under him with practically no space in-between them. It should allow him to boost is speed of the charts, aid with aerodynamic, probably control is direction easily since he would have so many points of contact.

I wonder if he ever used while holding object? I guess small one would float but what if hold a bag of powder? Would it spray like a hose or like a bag of flour it a fan? Many thing to explore.

You evaluated him at the level of a first year student at 3/4 of the year done. It's not bad and with the help of the other teachers he would probably progress by leap and bound but the fact is that he need to put in as much training as possible in the next six months. I am talking training level found in Kenichi The ultimate Disciple (if that's the case, our poor main propagonist would probably wish he took the prison instead.) But joke aside I see him taking martial arts class when not at school or surprising the teachers by finding him still on some of the training ground after the sun as gone down to keep training.

I guess this is something they could do for his parole: if is in the gym or in one of the facility not in use by the students at the moment, he is not on the streets causing trouble. Since he don't have a job yet and can't moonlight as a vigilant anymore he should probably have a lot of free time on his hands.

But the best thing I see he could tryou to learn by himself to surprise his teacher would be wrestling and break dancing. Would allow him to dodge, flip and spin around his enemies legs aided by is power would allow him a low ground fighting style that would use a lot of grappling for takedown since he doesn't have a lot of strength.

But why would the Principle ask him to only get the curriculum a bit before the students? He could have six months to familiarize himself with it.

And for God sake, find him a proper costume and equipment at some point. This is UA, he can't look too shabby in front of the students.

I think thats all. I will definitely follow this story and I can't wait to see what's you will come up with. Good job.
NeoNazo356 chapter 5 . 7/20
The whole "Capture the Flag" idea is really creative, and I can't help but wonder if something like THAT couldn't be used to test Mobility-Type Quirks, instead of those that're hard hitting Combat-Type Quirks. The guy with [Brainwashing] had an incredible power that could save COUNTLESS live, but the then-current Entrance Exam isn't exactly "condusive" to Support-Type Quirks like that, so it's no wonder Vigilantism is still a thing if the Entrance Exams are still stacked so-heavily in favor of those with hard-hitting Quirks.
That Kouichi actually went UP AGAINST the Zero-Pointer was an interesting twist, I would've thought he had enough sense to pull a Metal Gear on it and approach from behind, but sometimes you just gotta go for Style Points. At first I thought maybe All Might or someone had caught him, but the Zero-Pointer doing so was an interesting twist, and I can't help but think this all would've looked AWESOME if it were animated.
I'm really looking forward to his future interactions with the teachers and evenual-interactions with the Students. I would assume since he's a Vigilante, well, ex-Vigilante, he'd have SOME experience with voluptuous villainesses who use their bodies to distract goody-two-shoe Heroes, so maybe the... revealing nature of Midnight's costume wouldn't bother him all that much.
Anyway, another great chapter, love the name, love the content, and I'm looking forward to more.

P.S.
A thought just occurred to me. Couldn't Kouichi potentially incorporate Breakdancing into his fighting style? Some of it involves "sliding" on the ground, and because of his Quirk, he could generate a TON of momentum for kicks or punches. Not only that, and not only would he be moving in a very UNPREDICTABLE manner, but he'd have his prerequisite "three points" of contact on the ground with certain maneuvers, so if he has to abandon an attack, he could swap out for a Slide and have a villain about to land a hit, instead [Slide] off of his body.
This mainly came up by imagining him "deflecting" one of Noumu's punches in a moment of pure badassery, or maybe even Tomura's [Disintegration], but in GENERAL this could be something to consider if you're looking for ways to Expand Upon his now-current arsenal of techniques.
BlackNwhite Prodigy chapter 4 . 6/24
Holy shit, I can't wait for Kouichi to meet Izuku. I have a feeling that they would get along pretty well, especially since they're both All-Might fanboys. I really wish they would meet in the manga.
UndeadHarlot chapter 4 . 6/23
great chapter!
Johnny Spectre chapter 4 . 6/22
Gotta wonder if he'll run into Stain and they chat a bit
NeoNazo356 chapter 4 . 6/22
The dialogue between Kouichi, Nedzu, and Aizawa was all very tense, but it kept me engaged. I loved the work you did to portray how Kouichi's identity as "The Crawler" being revealed impacted his social life, and him losing his job at the convenience store is upsetting, but at the least understanding; I wonder why the Hero Community went out of its way to redact his involvement with stopping Trigger. The only reason I can think is maybe it'd glorify vigilantism. His later talks with Ectoplasm were interesting too, though I can't help but wonder if a student seeing him raise Kouichi's chin like that might not spark some weird rumors. Still, I like the idea of Kouichi and Izuku bonding over All Might memorabalia; especially the All Might hoodies, since I think only Izuku could truly appreciate the effort it took to collect them all, as well as seriously disparage the loss of the Limited-Editon Silver Age All-Might Hoodie without being sarcastic about it.
I look forward to Kouichi's first day as an assistant teacher.
BlackNwhite Prodigy chapter 3 . 6/16
I discovered she Vigilante spinoff shortly after plowing through each chapter of My Hero Academia, and I have to say that it's the single most unfairly underappreciated aspect of the MHA franchise. The characters are interesting, the story has been building a lot of intrigues, and it offers a refreshingly different view of the world of quirks, being one of the few spinoffs actually manages to feel like it's own thing while simultaneously expanding the world that was established. I'm so glad that I finally found a fanfic that can capture the spirit of this overlooked gem. Best of wishes to you, and I hope to see more of your quality content.
Kouni and Koufu are not names to my knowledge, but you could use Kougo ("go" being "five") for a possible son for Kouichi, quite possibly. I really enjoyed this chapter: the fallout of vigilantism, such as Kourei and Kawae's anger and worry for Kouichi, is explained in such a heartbreaking fashion that I nearly cried hearing them shout at one another. You tell me you're not good with these kinds of scenes, but I think you're absolutely spectacular so far. Keep up the good work, man, it's amazing!
NeoNazo356 chapter 3 . 5/31
LOVE the dialogue. The old man using his Quirk to collapse buildings and collect on the insurance was definitely an interesting angle, so I wonder just how the INSURANCE bureau changed its investigative structure in the decades since Quirks began to manifest. Hell, with how the BUILDINGS had to be hyper-reinforced compared to the pre-Quirk era, and you're looking at a complete re-structuring of HOW buildings get insured. I imagine post-Quirk buildings at the least are more bomb-resistant.
Anyway, the possibility of Heroes NOT wanting to spend time with a Vigilante is a very real concern, though I would assume that All Might, at the very least, would be able to look at his ACTIONS instead of his Standing. Hell, total slimeballs like Endeavor still have the admiration of a great deal of the public, so guys who genuinely want to HELP I'd rather have watching out for me, "Vigilante" or not. Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing how things go, and how the Class of 1-A interprets his presence. I somehow imagine when Izuku learns about his "Slide" Quirk, he'll begin to make all KINDS of theories on how it can be used.
Can't wait for the next one. Keep up the great work!