Reviews for The Tinkerer
imranramji1 chapter 2 . 4/25/2017
well this is a great start to a wonderful story but what i am curious about is why the sorting hat didnt think of putting harry into slytherin?
ragsweas chapter 2 . 4/25/2017
Nice story so far...different from others where harry is too rude to be himself. I hate it how dursleys are portrayed in some fics...so this is a nice change. Hope you update often!
D chapter 1 . 4/23/2017
i like where it is going. so more please
ctc1000 chapter 2 . 4/25/2017
Interesting second chapter.

You have clearly decided on your Golden Trio. The change to Hufflepuff will have a lot of reverberations. For one, he will have a much broader base of friends, and people who can introduce him to magical society and make him more well rounded. In Gryffindor, it all seemed to be about quidditch and doing dumb/brave things. I like the Puffs and the Harry as a Puff stories are interesting.

I think your characterization changed a bit from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2. In Chapter 1, he seems a bit more decisive, a bit more opinionated. In this chapter 2, he seems to have reverted a bit to easily influenced Harry. He is not as self reliant as he is in Chapter 1. Before Hogwarts, he designed his own computers and had the guts to approach big companies to sell it. Here he seems a lot more passive - letting Hermione dictate to him more. I would have thought he would be more of his own person.

Third, I thought even the slight changes in order really impact the story. Here the three meet Draco before they meet Ron. (I guess Harry meets Ron first but he doesn't remember him.) That change means they don't hear Draco insult Ron first which mans that Harry is a lot more cordial. This Draco doesn't immediately call Neville a squib and insult Hermione which means he is either less of a brat or has better ability to play a long game.

I am glad you don't have him cozy up to Ron. I don't think Ron's laziness would translate well. I also would like to see him really express his curiosity. A boy who programs on his own must be extremely curious. I would think Harry would really take things apart to see how they worked.

Looking forward to future chapters.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/23/2017
Wow this was not dreadful or confusing, it was great! I've always hated how the dursley treated harry. Love to great more fics where he is treated more fairly like a human being. This was a loaded intro and definitely loved how you introduced Hermione here. I can't wait to see how harry takes on hogwarts you know without electricity and all...
TheCatDidIt XBLX chapter 1 . 4/25/2017
i actually LOVED this. Can't wait for a bunch of muggleborns to recognise his famous name XD
The Nachoman chapter 1 . 4/25/2017
Well, a technologyadept Harry? I imagine he will make Ravenclaw.
Mariann's chapter 1 . 4/25/2017
It's wondrous! Love it! Tell me that the first thing will be Harry tinkering a way to get his computer to work :-)

And, since he seems to be a lot cleverer than book Harry, let him find things out about Hogwarts...

Love the story for this chapter alone :-)
Harry Marshall chapter 1 . 4/25/2017
I good start to the story. It'll be interesting to see how you have Harry integrate magic with technology, so he can continue to work on his projects while at Hogwarts!
EmmSea chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
A different plot, something that's becoming harder to find. Intriguing, I'll be following with interest. Fancy meeting Bill in an elevator at IBM. As someone who lived through the heady days is PCs, XTs and ATs, not to mention Win3, I couldn't help but smile. Thanks for your efforts thus far, MarkC.
Rimtuuk chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
Great start so far, looking forward to more.
Dawson079 chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
Really interest starthumme more
badkidoh chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
Well it's very interesting so far so I hope to see more. I wounder if Harry's intelligence will effect Snape view of Harry with him possible being nicer as a result or as nice as he can be without blowing his cover as a spy.
GraysonSteele chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
Interesting twist making Harry a young software engineer as well as a having the Dursleys treat him decently if not lovingly. I question your exchange rate - 50 pounds to the galleon seems beyond steep, but be that as it may, I think you're off to a good start. I hope you decide to continue. I can see this Harry's first extra-curricular project being to figure out a workaround so he can have his computer at school. It will be interesting to see how you have the canon friendship change with Harry and Hermione both being intellectual as well as academically driven. It would seem Harry might even be Ravenclaw while Hermione would stay Gryffindor. (She did sneak out after all)
Igi Shelps chapter 1 . 4/23/2017