Reviews for The Tinkerer
Guest chapter 1 . 4/23/2017
Wow this was not dreadful or confusing, it was great! I've always hated how the dursley treated harry. Love to great more fics where he is treated more fairly like a human being. This was a loaded intro and definitely loved how you introduced Hermione here. I can't wait to see how harry takes on hogwarts you know without electricity and all...
TheCatDidIt XBLX chapter 1 . 4/25/2017
i actually LOVED this. Can't wait for a bunch of muggleborns to recognise his famous name XD
The Nachoman chapter 1 . 4/25/2017
Well, a technologyadept Harry? I imagine he will make Ravenclaw.
Mariann's chapter 1 . 4/25/2017
It's wondrous! Love it! Tell me that the first thing will be Harry tinkering a way to get his computer to work :-)

And, since he seems to be a lot cleverer than book Harry, let him find things out about Hogwarts...

Love the story for this chapter alone :-)
Harry Marshall chapter 1 . 4/25/2017
I good start to the story. It'll be interesting to see how you have Harry integrate magic with technology, so he can continue to work on his projects while at Hogwarts!
EmmSea chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
A different plot, something that's becoming harder to find. Intriguing, I'll be following with interest. Fancy meeting Bill in an elevator at IBM. As someone who lived through the heady days is PCs, XTs and ATs, not to mention Win3, I couldn't help but smile. Thanks for your efforts thus far, MarkC.
Rimtuuk chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
Great start so far, looking forward to more.
Dawson079 chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
Really interest starthumme more
badkidoh chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
Well it's very interesting so far so I hope to see more. I wounder if Harry's intelligence will effect Snape view of Harry with him possible being nicer as a result or as nice as he can be without blowing his cover as a spy.
GraysonSteele chapter 1 . 4/24/2017
Interesting twist making Harry a young software engineer as well as a having the Dursleys treat him decently if not lovingly. I question your exchange rate - 50 pounds to the galleon seems beyond steep, but be that as it may, I think you're off to a good start. I hope you decide to continue. I can see this Harry's first extra-curricular project being to figure out a workaround so he can have his computer at school. It will be interesting to see how you have the canon friendship change with Harry and Hermione both being intellectual as well as academically driven. It would seem Harry might even be Ravenclaw while Hermione would stay Gryffindor. (She did sneak out after all)
Igi Shelps chapter 1 . 4/23/2017
I thought it was great!

Hope you continue.
Fayrwel chapter 1 . 4/23/2017
Hmm things that would interest me.

Harry Creates Magical Computer or Discovers a way to continue working at Hogwarts.
Harry takes an interest in Magical Math and attempts to use a computer to solve some of Magics Mysteries.
Harry attempts to reverse engineer the magical cure for cancer.

A note on HP:PS. It takes place in 1991, which was the year notebooks really blew up and became mainstream. (Most major vendors started putting out OEM notebooks in 91).

Also in 91 Microsoft renamed there OS to Windows NT. I could get into some technical aspects of that but they are all over the net.
Man of Constant Sorrow chapter 1 . 4/23/2017
Like the story and appreciate that unlike a lot of writers you've kept to the time frame and appropriate technology of Canon.

One critique.

"Oh, that. Don't worry, Petunia. I'mnot completelydaft. I put an '8' instead of a '5' for the last digit."

Dudleylaughed. "You berk!" he said. "You'll break her heart!"

"This way, if bysome weird chain of events I end up goingto school with her, and we're friends, I can always just say, 'oh, how daft of me! I messed up myown phone number!' and it will be fine. On the other hand, if I don't goto school with her, or if we're not friends, then I can forget all about this episode."

"You know," his aunt said. "You're pretty clever about other things

Okay I'm about to say something that is not Politically Correct and may come off as sexist, but that little stunt Harry pulled there is such a stuck up preppy girl move that I honestly almost X'ed that story out, seriously that was just plain nasty ad the type of people reading fanfiction (aka intellectuals aka nerds) won't root for a character that reminds them of the "mean girls" from high school, just my 2 cents.
ctc1000 chapter 1 . 4/23/2017
I think this is a tremendously promising story. The problem though is that it is almost too chock full with too many ideas.

You have intelligent Harry but he is almost too intelligent. I mean he reminds me of the Rorshach Blot story where he is inventing new potions and revolutionizing wizard economy by the age of 13. I thought the Microsoft: Bill and IBM digression was brilliant and extremely funny. Inventing Bitheap to build graphics is an inspired touch. The problem though is Chekhov's Gun. You spent a lot of time talking about his computers. If he doesn't somehow use computers or some technological innovation as a wizard, it is kind of all lost. You need him to somehow employ his efforts of the last two years. It is almost like if Tony Stark went to Hogwarts.

Second, I like the Harry/Hermione interaction. But its a little off that he thinks she is weird. After all, he is quite an odd ball himself. He is super brilliant. I would think meeting a girl of high intelligence and drive would appeal to him, rather than be a turnoff. I would also think he would care a lot about muggleborn rights - and react strongly against prejudice against muggles.

Third, his Harry is clearly going to have a different experience at Hogwarts. For one, he will be a lot more studious - probably researching and refining new ideas. Or even saying - wait - why are you doing things so stupidly? Why not use runes in a different way - or why not scientifically analyze how to make a spell more effective. Second, i can't see this Harry so taken by quidditch or shudder, chess games with Ron. Yes, he is a bit isolated, but he is not the weak Harry starved for friends or any positive attention. I also think there is a good chance he isn't a Gryffindor - he seems a lot more Ravenclaw/Slytherin. Fourth, why wouldn't he unravel fairly quickly what happened in the past: Sirius Black, the Marauders, what happened with Snape - he is a sharp cookie.
734 | « Prev Page 1 .. 39 46 47 48 49