Reviews for A Sound of Thunder
Elentari chapter 1 . 1/21/2004
Such an amazing story. I loved all your descriptions of the places and how you had Frodo think that perhaps the lightning had come from places that he had been to already. Very clever and innovative idea for a fic to center around Frodo's pain on Oct. 6th and relating it with a storm. I read this story maybe 4-5 times (or more) ;) and never cease to be amazed at how well-written it is. Great story! Thanks for sharing.
~Elentari
Teasel chapter 1 . 3/6/2003
This is truly wonderful, as always - but not really as always, because I think you've exceeded even your own high standards here. The descriptions are so vivid that I could see (and hear) it happen. And you've created a compelling, un-put-downable narrative with one character and the weather. That's an astonishing achievement.

What really shoots this one over the top for me is the way it SEEMS to come to its conclusion with the crash of thunder, but doesn't. Your readers relax when Frodo touches Arwen's jewel - but no, it's NOT over, for Frodo is irresistibly led through a chain of unhappy memories to a terrifying and deeply sad description of the the final stages of his quest. Brilliant as a piece of narrative construction, but this brilliance is in the service of something far more important than mere technique: a deeply moving portrait of Frodo. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Seregon chapter 1 . 2/26/2003
This was again a gem of a story. You have a masterful way with words, the descriptions sent chills down my spine. It's wonderful that there are still awesome stories like this (and your other ones) on . Thank you and keep up the good work.
Regina L chapter 1 . 2/25/2003
As ever, Oselle, a ravishingly beautiful tale. Your Frodo is always utterly convincing. Thank you.
Pansy Chubb chapter 1 . 2/25/2003
Reading your quality writing is always a pleasure. I think we can all relate to Frodo, waking ill in the middle of the night, unable to stop thinking and sleep.
Elwen Of The Hidden Valley chapter 1 . 2/24/2003
Often, when I read stories, I am tempted to skim. In this case I read every word, savouring them.

Very intense and you really seem to have climbed inside Frodo's head. The gathering suspense of the storm reflected in his body was very well done.

I shall keep coming back to re-read this. Bravo.
shirebound chapter 1 . 2/23/2003
Oh. Oselle, this is stunning. Poor Frodo, no wonder he needed to sail to the West, with nights like this to haunt him! This is haunting. Chilling. Marvelous.
Ancalime8301 chapter 1 . 2/23/2003
That was good. I liked how you showed the progression of Frodo's thoughts, wandering ever Eastward, as he contemplated the origin of the storm and wondered how far off it really was. The mental descent from blowing everything off to finally being consumed by the inevitable illness was very well done. Nice usage of an ordinary weather phenomenon and interweaving it with Frodo mental angst! The details about the storm were quite vivid, and I could mentally picture exactly what you were talking about. Very interesting source of inspiration, and it certainly resulted in a nice piece of writing! :)
Ariel3 chapter 1 . 2/23/2003
Ah! Someone else beat me to first here! LOL. As always, you have done a splendid job. I enjoy taking one of your fics onto the sofa with a nice glass of wine after the kids are in bed. it is a lovely treat after a long day. I hope you continue to give us such richly detailed, cunningly crafted pieces to enjoy for a very long time!
Citrine chapter 1 . 2/23/2003
Truly excellent, as always, Oselle!