Reviews for A Birthday, a Cold, a Memory and a Gift
ShelaghC chapter 7 . 6/10/2004
This was just lovely. While I have no idea where the bit of fanon that makes Pippin a sickly child originated and generally avoid such stories, I'm very glad I didn't avoid this one.

The writing is very good and the characterizations are excellent. Your Frodo rings (no pun intended) very true and Merry seems just right for a young man smitten with a bonnie lass. And the Pippin you've drawn with your words - both child and tween - is marvelous.

Thank you for your lovely story and please grace us with more of your gentle and well-thought-out writing.

I've added you to my author alert list in hopes of seeing another soon.
Lady Eleclya chapter 7 . 8/10/2003
This was such a lovely story! I wanted to sob the whole time I was reading it!(Not saying I didn't do it!) Pippin is just soo cute! I would love to have him as my younger brother!(although I might be sorry I said that! lol!) Ijust looved this story and I hope you write more like it soon!
Guest chapter 7 . 7/2/2003
Ohmygosh! You are one of my favorite authors! I'm sure I've already told you that, but... each time I read something new of yours (or re-read something) I am impressed by your skills. It really adds a lot to see contention among our hobbits. I love how each of the mini stories at the beginning all tied together. I wasn't expecting them to, either. Frodo has always been my favorite character and I think that you have him to a tee. Not perfect, a tragic character. But, he really did make the choice to go at the end. We hardly EVER get to see him in any fanfiction where he is even semi-ready to leave Middle Earth. But it was his time. And of coarse, they'll all see each other again, right? Of coarse right. ;) Thanks for so much Pippin and Frodo interaction. It completely made sense that Frodo was natuarally not as worried about Merry as he was Pippin. Thanks so much! Your fanfiction is like a breath of fresh air!
Sunhawk chapter 7 . 7/2/2003
Oh, this was wonderful! There aren't nearly enough stories of Frodo's last days in the Shire.

Off to read your other fics, once I get a chance :)
Pansy Chubb chapter 6 . 6/15/2003
Touching and amusing, from Merry drawing away from Pippin and bonding with Estella to the grouchy Healer.
Lady of Ithilien chapter 7 . 6/9/2003
Oh. My. Gosh. This has to be one of the most beautiful stories, fanfic or otherwise, that I've ever read. Absolutely amazing, the way you've shown how Frodo finally decides he's ready to leave. You've written him so wonderfully. I love the part where Frodo finally is able to cry, it was so heartwrenching.

And Merry! And Pippin! You did such a good job with their characterizations and their relationships with Frodo and each other. This line was just perfect:

"He said to me, ‘Always remember, young Peregrin, if something needs to be free, you must be willing to let it go. Treasure will only tarnish in selfish keeping.’ I didn’t really know what he meant then but it’s beginning to seem quite sensible and good advice now."

Just beautiful. And I love how it tied into this line:

"It seems to me that maybe you were only meant to remember it now and I’m glad that you did. Lucky for both of us."

Absolutely perfect. A wonderful prelude to the events at the Grey Havens. Fantastic!
stumbleine chapter 7 . 6/9/2003
I haven't reviewed anyone's stories for a long time now, but this time I just had to. I had been loosing interest in the whole fanfiction- business, but then - horay! - you updated and made little me happy again. ( But boy, has it been a long wait...tsk, tsk! ;))

You write exellent dialogue. Your characterisation is superb. Your humorous lines crack me up. And, above all, the atmosphere in this fic is spot on. (yes, yes, I cried. Buckets.)

Quite right, this one is getting to my top-ten-fanfics list.

Sheesh, I'm starting to sound really sugary now. Let's just blame the mood I'm in after reading this story, shall we? (I actually spent weeks in the mood in question after finishing LotR. I still think the ending is one of the most beautiful ones in literature.)

I will stop blabbing now, and just silently wish that you would write something new very soon.

Your's,

Elina

Ps. I just thought to note that this review is not so much about chapter 7 solely, but of the whole story. Which I'm sure you already noticed.
Xena chapter 7 . 6/9/2003
Nice little epilogue, it makes it easier for Frodo, now that he feels they'll be alright. I loved this story so much, I can't wait for the next story from you! :P
Xena chapter 6 . 6/9/2003
How wonderful that this chapter is up now! I loved the beginning, the banter of Frodo and Merry. The healer was so amazing, I feel bad he was drug out of bed for a cold. Just a lovely chapter, your Frodo/Pippin interaction is just beautiful. Nice little conflict about Merry liking Estella, that was done well. I loved the story of what happened with Gandalf's eagle, and Merry's impatience to hear the story. Lastly, I love the last discussion with Pippin and Frodo, for Pippin doesn't just give Frodo a straight answer, and I can imagine him being exasperated. Loved the giving of the lucky coin, beautiful! :P
VercisIsolde chapter 7 . 6/9/2003
So, Gandalf's going to visit Pippin right? And Frodo... Oh, see now I'm crying. I hate the end of ROTK. It makes me so depressed. Excellent fic and I hope to see more of you soon.

Luv

~VI~
VercisIsolde chapter 6 . 6/9/2003
You don't know how happy I am to see that you're back! Comments on this ch before I go to read the next one: I love Pip not wanting to share Merry. A bit selfish of him, but it makes sense. V. glad he finally accepted it. Also, he would end up going and marrying another Took. But someone sensible would never be able to put up w/ Pippin. Glad his illness is nothing serious, but the whole story about 1412 made me quite sad. Everything between Frodo and Pippin is excellent. I love to see stories about the two of them b/c there aren't many out there. When Pippin started folding paper I was like "Oh, so that was in this story?" Shows how long it's been since you updated. So glad you have by the way. Wonderful how Gandalf's words have meaning for both Pippin and Frodo. And of course I knew Frodo would pick the 1390 coin. V. cute ending. Now on to the final ch. *sniff* You better write more soon, b/c I don't want to see this story end.

Luv

~VI~
Orangeblossom Took1 chapter 6 . 6/8/2003
What a lovely ending and epilogue to this dear and loving story. I am so glad to see it again and look forward to your next story.
Pearl Took chapter 7 . 6/8/2003
Zebra,

A very nice ending to a very good story! I'm glad all ended well. I hope you'll write some more stories!

Pearl Took
shireling chapter 7 . 6/7/2003
What a lovely touch at the end!

Thank you for finishing this lovely story.

Helen
Willow chapter 7 . 6/6/2003
Jeeze, I was almost in tears! (in a good way), That was a cute/sad story. I liked it alot!

* W*