Reviews for As Kind as Summer
Levade chapter 2 . 7/26/2012
How is it I never found this until so many years later? I'm sorry that I didn't know about it before! You have two of my favourite characters, both very believably written, and a situation that probably didn't knock the world on its axis, but it was a big one for them.

You've said it all, and done so beautifully. Thank you for capturing what I think of every time I get to the end of the third book. For seeing Elrond this way, not like the movies. This is Elrond and this is Glorfindel and what a lovely job you've done!
Glory Bee chapter 2 . 2/16/2012
Really a beautiful and moving compassionate story. It makes me love Glorfindel all the more :)
Emily chapter 2 . 1/10/2010
The first part was just plain angsty. Yikes. : (

The second part was better. You even incorporated a little humor.

It's true that the task of rescuing "future kings who climbed too high up trees" does seem to be a little less than a warrior like Glorfindel would have expected- not only that, but that phrase sounds so funny!

Thanks.
ohfuckthis chapter 2 . 5/5/2007
wow...just wow!
Kalisona chapter 2 . 2/24/2007
This was a great story containing two of my favorite elves in a non-slash tale of friendship! Hoorah! . Thanks for writing this, it was brilliant!

Kali
washow chapter 2 . 12/4/2004
I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed this story, thank you for writing such an enjoyable non-slash story. I also wanted to let you know that I selected this tale to be included in a C2 group I manage which showcases non-slash completed stories which feature any elf other than Legolas. While I am certainly not an expert at what makes a good story I have read a LOT of stories which could fit into my chosen category but have only selected a few to add to the C2 group. Thank you for writing such a wholesome story which can be enjoyed by people of all ages. If you know of any other stories which you believe should be included in the C2 group please don’t hesitate to suggest them.

washow
Erestor chapter 2 . 5/8/2004
That was really good, very touching. Glorfindel was great, but you communicated Elrond's sense of helplessness extremely well. Great job!
Laiqalasse chapter 2 . 4/20/2003
i loved this! thank you for writing it.

Laiqalasse
Mal3m chapter 2 . 4/15/2003
This is so beautiful. Such a perfect interpretation of Elrond's reaction to the loss of his ring's power, as well as Glorfindel's relationship to him. It's difficult to say much else, simply because it seemed like every part of this was just as it should have been. All I can add is that, as before, I am eager to read more from you, and if you ever write a new story, feel free to let me know.

Madeleine
TrinityC chapter 2 . 4/15/2003
Oh, now that I loved. I particularly like the way you show Elrond's struggle to adjust to life without the power of Vilya, especially by the tree, when he realises that 'ordinary' solutions may work for the ordinary problems that now encroach upon his valley - Elrond's time there is over, but it can't be easy to come to terms with, for him or for Glorfindel (whose summing-up of his purpose in life, incidentally, I really loved!)

*sigh* poor Glorfindel, left behind. . .now I understand chapter 6 of 'Fair Folk...' rather better. . .
Starfish of the Elves chapter 2 . 4/5/2003
"The ring could have made Imladris a fortress. You made it a refuge, a sanctuary, the Last Homely House. You opened its doors to dwarves and men and hobbits.

"You are a warrior of skill and strength, but it was your skill in command that made the difference on the battlefield. The soldiers trusted you and loved you and were ready to fight for you.

"And you are a healer, whether you have power or no. For it does not take power to hold a wet cloth to a fevered brow, to bathe a wound or to sing a lullaby to a sick infant, yet I have watched you do these things for many elves. It was your presence, not Vilya's, that comforted them.

"And I have watched you risk your heart on your mortal foster children, knowing you must watch them age and die and still not holding back one jot of love. That is a power greater than that of any ring, Elrond - and it has given this world a fine King."

That is so beautiful. That brightened my day as much as Sam's Final Monolouge did yesterday-in a lovely, sad way.
BurningTyger chapter 2 . 3/1/2003
I sure do love Glorfindel. He speaks with such candid elegance, and he is really so good to Elrond. "The greatest power was never in the ring, but in you." Excellent story.
BurningTyger chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
"I cannot keep back the end." How poignant! You've shown Elrond's despair vividly, as well as the deep friendship that he and Glorfindel share.
Dragon Confused chapter 2 . 2/26/2003
I did, I even liked this bit better.

"the kindest deeds matter more than the mightiest"

Great line!(!)

arabella thorne chapter 2 . 2/25/2003
Absolutely wonderful!

I can only hope I come up with something as wonderful as this line: "that the kindest deeds matter more than the mightiest"

Just as excellent as it can be!