Reviews for Promises Unbroken
Sable07 chapter 22 . 5/16
Assuming that the prophecy doesn't exist now, will Harry ever be taken seriously? I'm honestly very sad that Harry is so... normal. I guess, I shouldn't be, as this fic wasn't intended for that, but I've never seen one where the Potters are average, and this really showcases that, much to my forlorn surprise. Still, it's a beautiful artwork, piece of poetry, really, and a tad unpredictable.
~ All the best, Sable
Sable07 chapter 15 . 5/16
This story mainly centers on the adults of the Phoenix, and Harry's pranks. I thought, as it is a story about Harry Potter, it wasn't doing him justice—at least, until I saw the main characters were James, Sev, Remus and Sirius. So based on this, I'm predicting that Harry won't be playing a major role in the story—which I have to say is disappointing to me, but I still love the story, so I'm not complaining—and that Sirius is trapped in Azkaban, tortured, and not dead.
~ Peace Out, have fabulous day!
Sable07 chapter 10 . 5/16
Oh dear... now I know that it won't be soon til Voldie targets Harry to get at Jamie.
ElnaKernor chapter 41 . 5/7
This is still as good as ever.

Even if canon debunked some of the worldbuilding you did in the UU, it still feels as if it COULD have been that way, it works with the four first books, and up to a point with the three last ones. No character takes a great swan dive and becomes the opposite of what they are in canon.

Sure, Peter makes the right choice for once, but it's a consequence of the canon divergence, not something that appears out of the blue. He didn't spend eleven years isolated from all human interactions (because being a rat, even in a family of wizards, isn't quite the same as having humane company), and perhaps that helped him make a choice other than his own self-interest.

Sure, Snape is perhaps a tad more decent than his canon-counterpart, but he also had ten more years of having to witness the absurdity and cruelty of Voldemort. He got back into contact with Lily through the Order, and had years to actually start appreciating other people (even if he has to do it discreetly).

Narcissa is, perhaps, the one who's the most different, in the end, as an active Death Eater rather than a bigoted but otherwise civilian mother - and it still works with the little we knew of her before HBP.

Sirius is and will always be my favorite character, and this might be one of my favorite depiction of him, that remains coherent with the little we've seen of canon - even if he's wildly different, but again, canon divergence. He's traumatized by his time in Azkaban, perhaps even more so than in canon - but at the same time, his only resentment is for Voldemort and the Death Eaters, because he has no reason to actively hate anyone else. He's still wary and a bit angry at people who don't believe him, but he also understands that they don't - he's just not going to let them stop him, and if that's not canon, I don't know what is. Most of all, he is intelligent and cunning and he gets how Slytherins work because he was raised by a bunch of them and he's not THAT different from his family, but he still acts no matter what, he still cares about doing the right thing and not letting fear dictate his life, and that's why he ended up in Gryffindor.

Julia is great, too. She's made bad choices, and her reason for changing might not be the purest either, but it's more along the lines of "I made a bad choice then for dubious reasons and now that I've learned one of those reasons is bullshit I'm revising my choice", and it's not like she'd gone out of her way to become a people-killing Death Eater the moment Sirius "died", even if her actions might have indirectly caused some deaths anyway.

I love, love the Unicorn Group - because the Order of the Phoenix isn't the Aurors, they don't have only fighters (and spies and detectives), they are regular (or not) civilians who do what they can, and that includes more than just sending people to battle Death Eaters. Molly and Arthur will never be fighters, even if they can hold their own if need be, but they can be useful in other ways. Being part of a group that does secret charm experimentation and how to use them in the war is one of the things the Order could be about - and Arthur driving the Aurors to Azkaban because he has a vague idea of how to use a yatch and has access to one is another way to make him useful without making him a brawler.

Dumbledore as the Minister of Magic - not because he wants to, but because no one else lasts long enough anymore - is great, too, and seeing the Ministry as being competent - just, not enough, not perfectly, and when it's Voldemort on the other side it just isn't enough - is something I long for, because adults aren't all useless, especially when the people at the top aren't trying to bury the truth because they are too afraid and can't even begin to imagine what to do if it would be true...

There's more, of course, but I think I'll finish with the fact that it's an after-ten-more-years-of-civil-war fic and canon characters are dead, because that's what happens during war. Too often we get fics that tell you about how everything is worse - and somehow everyone is still alive and whole and not so traumatized that they can't stand up and fight like anyone else.

I think it's the fourth time I'm reading this. I'll probably reread it again.
sekailine chapter 30 . 3/9
I just realized how sheltered Harry Potter is in your fanfic compared to others. In here, the adults don’t even rely on him as the events of Halloween did not happen and so he did not have a scar I guess?
Grrarrggh chapter 24 . 11/29/2021
Wow, fantastic scene between Severus and Julia. The entire fic is wonderfully written but that scene was especially great. You write a Severus Snape Jo Rowling was unable to either because of her own limitations as an author or as a human being. Love it.
Kevin W Mickel chapter 37 . 10/22/2021
I know 2003 was a long time ago, but I had to send this note. I am really enjoying this story.

But...

Chapter 36 has an unforgivable mistake in it. Voldemort is out cold and unable to defend himself. I can't believe that nobody pointed their wand at his head and cast a REDUCTO or any other lethal curse at the monster. This is war. When your enemy is at your mercy, you don't show any.
Guest chapter 41 . 7/14/2021
I KNEW it would be called Promises Remembered. I KNEW it.
Guest chapter 40 . 7/14/2021
NO! NO! NOT NOW! WE WERE SO CLOSE! YOU ARE THE MOST HORRIBLE PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE AND I SWEAR IF YOU LAND A BLOW LIKE THAT ON DUMBLEDORE’S ARMY AGAIN, I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND KILL EVERYONE YOU LOVE AND THEN YOU! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?! DO YOU?!

Also this is they best fanfic I have ever read in my entire life and I can’t stop reading it! It’s even better than Bound Together By Fragile Dreams, which is an absolutely mind blowing Chronicles of Narnia fanfic that actually changes C. S. Lewis’ universe in a similar way that you do to JKR’s. So... keep going!

And don’t forget my threat!
Guest chapter 36 . 7/13/2021
I always wondered, with how many mysteries there are and how thick the plot is, how this story would finish in just 41 chapters. It all makes sense now. I still hate Trelaweny, though.
Guest chapter 19 . 7/10/2021
I’ve been waiting and waiting and waiting for Sirius to come home since Promises Honored. The only reason I moved on to this book was so I could see him return but it’s soooooo good I think I’ll stick with it.
echopatronus chapter 35 . 7/9/2021
Oh my god! After soo long I have come across a story which I couldn't stop reading.. Kudos to your writing and storytelling skill! you are amazing! I will start the sequel but only over weekend. otherwise I fear I won't be able to manage any work! But well done... and thank you for writing this story!.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/11/2021
Hands down, my favorite HP fanfic. The whole series. I’m a bigger fan of this series than the actual book series and that’s saying something. Kudos to you on an absolutely FANTASTIC series.
Guest chapter 19 . 5/7/2021
I have been waiting for Sirius reappearance for 18 chapters! When I tell you I screamed when i read a black dog, man! My nerves man. My nerves.
euphoiqa chapter 1 . 2/20/2021