Reviews for SH9: The Case of the Manila Envelope
Onlyaman chapter 22 . 6/19/2008
Hi HA,

here I am back after I read more from you. In my opinion this story was extremly hard for a Shirley Holmes Adventure. At first I thought Enigma was responsible for the problems with this strange girl but there you really fooled me. :-) (Do you say so?)

It felt as if I was reading two different story lines a very hard one regarding the dark gamer and a "lighter" one with Shirley and her friends. It was very exciting though, in my opinion, it did not really work.

The card battle was also done well. It nearly felt like I was watching the TV show. First I was a bit disapointed that the gamer turned out to be one of the good guys, you solved this nicely at last, saying it was a test.

I still don't know what to think about Arthur, which is good because it is one of the things, that make you go on reading.

To see how Blake managed "to take Molly down" was very nice. There was just a bit too much of couple problems in this for my liking but it did not really disturb the story in the end.

I like this very much and will read the next story straight away.

Have a nice day,

Onlyaman
IcyRae chapter 1 . 3/10/2004
Very interesting Ha. I really enjoyed your subplot in this story. I'm anxious to find out who Courtney is. I'm glad you included Stink in the story to. The Strangers are becoming a perminant part of your own Shirley world. Just don't throw in too many characters at once. Work on developing a select few, one at a time unless they're minor characters that won't be appearing all the time. Great work as always. Love the comical bits you throw in.
Aline1 chapter 22 . 12/20/2003
Rather intresting, I wonder if ENIGMA will return in the next story however and there are still some mysteries that are bugging me. But rather good, these stories have rather caught my attention and I look forward to the next one.
Heather chapter 21 . 12/16/2003
Although this was a great ending to another chapter in your serial I'm not quite sure what I think about Blake anymore. In this story, his made me rather suspicious of his motives and his charector. After all he knows how Boe feels about Shirley and what happened between them during the week end yet he still insists apon playing the role of Shirleys handsome love interest. If he wants to be a real friend to Bo his not exactly doing a very good job now anything? he seems to be giving across the message that dating Shirley is far more important then the groups friendship and it gives the impression that this is the sort of thing that might tear Shirley and Boe apart. I also found it interesting that the object Blake wanted to get back was the photograph not the computer codes, he deliberatly lied to Shirley and Boe and the question is why? whats so secretive about this photo?
I remember telling you in a past review that I missed our favourite little sociopath and in this story you've brought her back in full force. What you've done for her charector has brought her beyond the television series especially at the end with the photograph of the date. I'm starting to see Molly as truly a tragic figure instead of some one whose beyond evil.
cali-chan chapter 21 . 12/16/2003
first of all... *squee squee squee squee!* hehe. i needed to let that out.
so we FINALLY learn what was in the manila envelope. is this the last chapter, then? blake's excuse about it being his sherlock notes was a bit weak. it's surprising shirley didn't pick up on it. maybe because she was busy thinking about OTHER things...? . lol, i love this.
now we've got another mystery on our hands. who is this 'court' girl? sister? cousin? old girlfriend? and why do i get the feeling we're going to be hearing her name often? #_#
best scene of the chapter: the first one, actually. i love the interaction between alicia, stink and parker. it's so funny!
for the next one- more strangers! i love them, and i can't wait to know all their secrets... -carla.
ElDiablo chapter 20 . 12/12/2003
Well, after a few year hiatus, I've come back to read the SH fanfics...it's been a while since I was on SHC.
Anyway, to the review, HA, you were always one of my favourite fanfic authors at the SHC. This story has everything: a great plotline, the love triangle is simply brilliant, and the enemies are simply great.
The best part about your writing is how you're able to entice the reader and makes him/her want more (up to the point they get violent waiting for the next chapter). You seriously do this to me everytime. In fact, I just spent quite a while and reread all your fanfics here from start to end.
I find all your characters are fleshed out and well thought out...and now they (especially Shirley) are experimenting and questioning their emotions and feelings, which is great.
I can't wait for the next chapter.
Heather chapter 19 . 11/17/2003
Wow when I said "bring back our favourite sociopath" I had no idea you'd do so much for her charector. The thing I love about this story is it's use of charector development and Molly's break down in this chapter really brought new insight into her charector. Your Molly is obviously portrayed as some one who is begining to question her own morals, and her debate over whether she should upload her information on Blake had me at the edge of my seat.

I think what I liked about this chapter was that Molly was finally seeing some one as a person, rather then a tool used in her mind games or manipulation. Molly still has a long way to go before she's full redeemed but the fact that she's questioning herself in this chapter really added more to the story.
Heather chapter 20 . 11/17/2003
Words cannot express how delightfull this chapter was. The whole Boe "feeling good" description caused me to erupt into hysterical laughter. Seriously it's great how you've acknowlaged that Shirley and Boe are teanagers but you also did'nt get to "graphic" with what actually happened. I also liked how unlike Boe Shirley is starting to question her feelings for him now. It adds a different dynamic to their relationship and it's really interesting to read.

I cant believe Blake interupted her thoughts though by ringing her up! GAH stupid blake!
cali-chan chapter 20 . 11/17/2003
well, that was quick enough for me _ squealing fangirl that i am, i'm sure you can guess i loved this chapter the whole thing was so cute! .

ABOUT THE STRANGERS - me and my big mouth. here i was, asking for answers, so of course you had to go and give me MORE questions... i don't know why, but arthur reminds me of the cigarrette-smoking man from the x-files *shudder* and did i detect something between yume and damian? what was that about? #_# anything between ANYONE and damian freaks me out... *shudder shudder* he's so weird...

ABOUT SHIRLEY AND BO - now, really, i want to grab them and shake them badly... can i can i can i? they sure need it... somebody should lock those two in a closet and keep them there until they figure their stuff out. wouldn't that be great?

On Shirley: Funny thing, she keeps saying that she needed a logical explanation for the whole kissing thing, and yet she never thought that one might be "hormones". no sir, she jumped directly to the feelings part of it. now, doesn't that tell her something? really, one would think that by now she'd have learned that she is in fact HUMAN and therefore she's bound to be illogical once in a while... but no, she has to keep being stubborn about it...

On Bo: darn it darn it darn it, he should just do SOMETHING! this is shirley we're talking about. she kissed him. she KISSED him for godssakes! that should tell him everything he needs to know. gah gah gah...

*mutters about idiot teens that wouldn't know true love if it bit them in their behind*

and now BLAKE'S back in the picture! *pulls on hair* argh, this is going to get messy...

please hurry un with the next chapter, HA, i'm near tears here... -carla.
sweetpoet2003 chapter 20 . 11/17/2003
Boo on Blake! lol Luv the Bo & Shirley moment:-D thanks for finally updating. You made my day.
cali-chan chapter 19 . 11/11/2003
Never thought I'd say this, but... poor Molly. And if she's feeling sick now (hehe, lovesickness, lol), she'll have a seizure when she finds out Damian sacked her photographer...

You STILL won't tell us what Blake's big secret is. But considering the title is "Manila Envelope", I guess you won't tell us until the very end. *sigh* I still think it'll be some letter, or love letter, of a sort. I'm not 100% sure, but that's the hunch I have...

Now onto Tomie/Yume- first off, I wanna say that I absolutely loved the part when she was wolfing down the cookies. What a nice touch! Really funny. Makes her seem more real.

About the Gamer of the Dark... the whole thing about the Strangers "testing Shirley for any future dangers" was a bit confusing, at least for me. Future dangers? As in what? I know most of them don't trust Shirley totally yet, but how much of a danger can she be to them? Maybe you could expand a little more on that. I know Tomie and Rika sort of explained it but Shirley knew all about it already, so the conversation was a bit one-sided (if they were real, I would've been shaking them already: "me! me! I don't get it! Would somebody please explain? In simpler terms if possible? Not everybody's a genius here..." - You know, now I kind of understand how Bo feels half the time ) Maybe if we saw it from Arthur's POV... Oh, and I'm looking forward to a confrontation between him and Bo. Wouldn't that be fun? .

Stink and Alicia- poor kid. Thank the heavens he wasn't there to witness the kiss... *sigh*

Great chapter! Looking forward to the next one! -carla.
Anya chapter 18 . 10/15/2003
I know that you dislike reviews that praise without commenting as much as you dispise reviews that flame without explaining why, so I'll give it a try at a somewhat coherent review. (It's 5am over here, so we'll see how this goes...)

I've been enjoying ALL of your stories, particulary the way you managed to create original characters that don't "steal the thunder" of the original ones, in spite of their very unique caracteristics. Even Blake doens't steal Bo's place, regardless of what our lovable Sawchuckmay think... ;)

Your plots are great, each mistery remaining a mistery until almost the very end, wihich is just the way the show did it, as I recall... And the way any detective story should be. Not that your usual detective novel has so much paranormal activities mixed into it, but I digress... ;)

I DO have a qualm with this particular fic, though. I know quite a few are enjoying your development of Blake and Molly's relationship, but I can't help to find it a bit too rushed - Blake and Molly seem out of chaaracter to me, particulary in the 16th chapter... For the life of me, I simply cannot picture them in a karaoke contest. I know you have your reasons and justifications for Molly and Blake's behaviour, this is merely a grudge of mine...

At any rate, the series as a whole is still my favorite in the Shirley fandom. :) I sincerely hope you upload the next chapter(s) soon...
What's Their Name chapter 18 . 8/22/2003
:0 ?
cali-chan chapter 18 . 8/22/2003
"When Blake would share that insight, Shirley would raise an eyebrow at him and give him a look he noticed was always reserved for Bo."

*snorts* You don't know just how much this phrase made me laugh. I was just about rolling on the floor .

About Tomie/Yume... whoa, is she a little box of surprises, or what? I was half expecting her to be rich and stuff, like most of the Strangers, but...

Ah, it's such a pity that Damian found the photographer and scared him away... I bet Molly REALLY wanted the photos... you know, as a reminder... .

You've been really fast with the updates lately That's great! Keep up like that- I really want to know what Tomie's and Blake's big secrets are- SOON! -carla.
Heather chapter 17 . 8/20/2003
Although I'm still finding the monster battle confusing I've kept on reading for the sake of Molly and Blakes date. It kicks ass and happens to be the funniest thing I've read in a really really long time.

The kiss scene was hysterical in my opinion and Molly's aprouch to romance really leaves something to be desired.