Reviews for An Essence of Silver and Steel
nerdygamer7057 chapter 80 . 8/25
I just realized that, along with her Trump rating, which should be 9 at minimum, she should probably have a massive Changer rating too.
nerdygamer7057 chapter 78 . 8/25
Pretty sure she could have just gone Sherlock on them and they would have stood aside.
ZhaWarudo chapter 121 . 8/21
Very good fic! I just wish there was more PHO and another interview. Accusations from the world why Apocrypha didn't kill other Endbringers or even help fight them? I would love to read about those reactions.
Character development is quite good, though the beginning has parts that should be skimmed trough as they are 95% similar to other Worm fics.
Seriously I hate reading another start with Winslow, and unwritten rules which are broken 2 chapters later.
Coil went from nightmare mode to normal? If she has amulets of protection, why make it all magic is invisible to precogs, why not make anti scrying/perception wards...
Why didn't Taylor deck herself and others in enchanted gear, 10 rings, armor and other ASAP?
Taylor went on a date with Dennis instead of making good luck charm for Lisa which almost cost her life?
That was no time for dates, she should've been creating artifacts Iron Man style.
CSO is a sucky acronym, just call it Camelot.
It'd be interesting to read a sequel, especially problems that Taylor can't Mary Sue, politics, publicity, organisation and other.
Oscar Ye chapter 75 . 8/14
It kind of bothers me that Excalibur is supposed to be capable of killing Endbringers while Vasvi Shakti isn't. Or that it is capable of doing so in the first place.

Anyway, rather than stuff like that, wouldn't something like King Hassan's instant death, or Okita's casuality breakdown, or Orion's ability to negate any defense on animalistic or demonic enemies, or Cu's Gae Bolg (Assuming it recognizes the core as a heart) be better than just a brute force approach?
H. Automata chapter 121 . 8/13
And so it ends! I thoroughly enjoyed the final battle against Scion - the clever strategizing, the desperate measures, Alexandria's sacrifice, it felt just the right amount of epic and complex but also understandable and coherent. I'm also a sucker for happy, 'and-the-adventure-continues' endings, so I was really happy with the conclusion. Overall I had a lot of fun with Essence, particularly with respect to how it handled Armsmaster, Taylor's own desire for heroism and the sheer breadth and creative range of her powers, plus the pleasant success of a hero team actually beating back multiple bad guys in Worm without suffering undescribable losses at every turn.

If I had to complain about anything, I'd say that I, personally, wish we got a little more time with Amy and Lisa on the final third of the story, even if the imminent multiversal end of humanity posed a serious reason not to spend too much time on socialization. Maybe we could have had a little bit more time seeing the Camelot team in action within the time skip, you know, just for fun? Furthermore, one thing that did feel legitimately underwhelming and that I believe could have been explored further was the whole Gilgamesh thing. Seeing as this wasn't actually registered as a Fate crossover story, there are a lot of details we just never get about Taylor's powers, information that I can only presume comes from Fate and that I and many other readers wouldn't know, unless we'd read/watched that, which I haven't yet. Thus, Gilgamesh's seemingly arbitrary power, so strong as to threaten overwriting and subsuming Taylor herself, just ended up never being explained or properly explored. Twice we were teased with it, once in an aborted Install and then with the treasury items Include, yet we were never given any payoff. Taylor never had to actually interact with him or try to wrestle for control in a critical situation, his admonishment when she was gathering items didn't stop her from taking or using them at all... What was the point? You could literally remove any mention of him from the story, just let her take the items anyway or create them with any of her several magical types and the story would have remained the same. I was so looking forward to learning more about him and seeing him interact with Taylor, but we never got there.

Those are very minor complaints, of course. Overall this was great, and hot damn what a huge accomplishment! Look at the size of this thing! So many characters explored, so many thrilling arcs and memorable events! Thanks a lot for this.
H. Automata chapter 99 . 8/12
Very cool S9 resolution! Ever since Leviathan we've really gone in a triumphant route for Apocrypha and her Round Table gang, and I like the illusionism and mind game strategy a lot. After all the struggles from the first half of the fic, these victories and greater degree of independence are delightfully cathartic.
H. Automata chapter 59 . 8/11
Hmmmm I have the weirdest impression that I've read this before. I don't particularly remember stuff from earlier on, like Baluda or Sophia getting fucking bisected, so I really probably never read this before, but the entire end of the Tyranny arc and some and the dialogues here feel eeriely familiar... No idea what to make of it.

Moving on, I appreciate getting these interludes because the end of the arc was really dense. Lots of stuff to parse through. The reveal, not only of Kephri's existence but also of her possible influence over Taylor's personality and behavior adds a whole new layer of complexity over things like her relationship with Lisa or her stance on killing people, both of which were already complicated. So with Lisa there's both her earnest interest in being Taylor's friend and yet, running counter to that, her seeing Taylor as a useful pawn that, at least early on, was easy to manipulate. Her choice of killing Coil echoes that contrast - letting Taylor bind him would have been risky, so instead she just went against Taylor's obvious moral boundary, breaking the promise to ensure her own safety. Now that I've been reflecting on it, the entire relationship is dangerously unbalanced if Lisa can just keep taking advantage of Taylor's desperate need for friendship and human connection and will stick with her until she's in the same frame of mind. Then again, it's not like Lisa's some evil manipulative mastermind, she was genuinely coerced and needed a lot of help, and her perspective is entirely understandable, so it's that much harder to figure out whose side am I on. And that's all without even beginning to discuss Kephri's influence on Taylor and whether or not their entire friendship is some inevitable predestination, and or the more Kephri's used the more the lines blur. Wow.
H. Automata chapter 40 . 8/10
I can scarcely believe I'm on chapter 40 already - I can't wait to read more yet I also feel a strange urge to go back and re-read everything from the start up lol. One thing I've been reflecting on lately is how nicely the events of this story lead into one another. I can't really tell how much or this is from Wildbow's original story outline and how much is yours, but it definitely helps make the story feel cohesive and well-paced. The soda incident causes Taylor to start patrolling which culminates in the Lung incidence and meeting Lisa, then the victory over Lung gives Taylor the confidence boost to stand up to the trio at Winslow which leads to Sofia's bad end and subsequent fallout, and we're witnessing the consequences of that to this day. It's all so neat and consistent!
H. Automata chapter 39 . 8/10
Oh wow, it still surprises me how tense I get with this story! First it was everything with Taylor and the trio, actively making my heart thump harder than the actual fight against Lung, and now this chase with Lisa was just, oph, so cool, so nerve-wracking!
H. Automata chapter 3 . 8/9
Oh my, this is an absolutely bombastic chapter! The fresh, thrilling description of Taylor's powers and Lung's slow but inevitable transformation were handled really well and got me completely captivated!
JustAnotherGuest chapter 82 . 8/5
God. I love wildbow for setting such a great tone to a story in terms of mere untapped POTENTIAL. But I hate him more for making such a shitty grimdark world where even the "Strongest Man" is a fucking disgrace and shame to the world. Where a lot of situations could have been AVOIDED. If people were more smart or rational or HAVE A FUCKING GRIP ON THEIR MINDS, AND JUST COMMUNICATE
Dragon0905 chapter 121 . 7/30
Having read the majority of the novels and some of the fanfics, if had a fair idea of what part of worm I missed. However, there's or definitely some things that I had not accounted for.
Now having found your version a mere few days back, i was rather delighted to find something so unique. Most of the time when some MC gains almighty nigh unstoppable power, they just blast through everything in roughly the same manor and nothing fazes them physically or emotionally.
You managed to make a OP MC and have an actual plot that makes sense. Your then took it a step further and made many of the characters ncome to life in ways the original author didn't quite manage. And made me feel an actual emotional response to your versions. And your managed to do all his with a minimum of grammar issues.
Im more than slightly impressed. Congratulations.
impeccablesin chapter 61 . 7/27
This whole bullshit character you have going for Taylor about being completely against killing in any type of scenario is stupid. Acceptable if it's some newb 15 year old, but she has the knowledge of tons of heroes who have all killed in their lifetimes. It just makes her look like a buffoon when she not only acts like they shouldn't be killing Coil, but then goes so far as to think they shouldn't be killing the dangerous clones that live less than a fkn week.

Seriously, make a comic book throne of heroes if you want to make a character with such stupid moral views.
Jorge Steven chapter 56 . 7/24
Now thats just convenient, isn't it? Herself as a heroic spirit. How Bland.
tronax22 chapter 29 . 7/17
At the beginning of the encounter Taylor had a decent (extremely weak, but usable with how OP she is) plan, and a solid IQ score of 80.
As the fight began, her IQ began to drop rapidly. When she was in position to win, it hit around 50, and she came to poke at suicide bomber with her real body.

The sacrifices that authors must go thru to come up with any drama at all for such OP characters... really, it pains to even read about this stupidity, it must had reaaaally hurt to write it.
3,916 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »