Reviews for Looking Back
ImaginationInterpreter chapter 1 . 3/19/2011
I like how you portrayed Dr. Cain as still alive, but removed from the 'action' of the games. Many fics that mention him after a time-setting of X3 portray him as dead.

Also, love the irony of X ending up in the Leader/Ruler of Neo Arcadia role. You've given the possibility of X taking that position (there are people who wonder how nice, worrier X ended up governing) as possibly related to something Dr. Cain may have discussed with him at some point. A prequel almost.
aile-chan chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
ah this was wonderfully written, i enjoyed this a lot.
Jadeite Meteoros chapter 1 . 7/2/2010
Very good. I enjoy how this story represents both aspects of humans and reploids. Both species are at fault, and it becomes both disheartening and annoying to see one portrayed as superior or inferior to the to the other, usually with humanity taking the brunt of the criticism. Oddly enough, mentions of humanity are quite scare in the MMX universe, and when they are mentioned, it is almost always negative, and guaranteed they will concoct an extremely unintelligent decision. A friend and I often share opinions on this series, and we have come to the conclusion that MMX's and MMZ's humanity is extra-strength dumb. This is an unfair assumption to make, for as stupid as our race may act, I would hope there would be many more tolerant and intelligent people by the time these series occur.

Wonderful story, and I do wish I had discovered it much sooner. Well done.
Laryna6 chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
This.

This this this.

If anything, humans are even more limited than robot masters, since we can't change ANY OF our own programming & we can't remodel our bodies.

Despite that, while reploids may be the product of intelligent design, humans are the product of millions of years of very through beta testing. Even 'flaws' like racism and clinical depression are often there for very, very good reasons.

If you put a child who is learning how the world works into war, which is an insane situation? Of course they're not going to be able to handle it, and if they're prideful enough to insist that they can, then you get Repliforce's act of mass premeditated treason (desertion in the face of the enemy, etc.), as well as more innocent mental breakdowns.

A reploid who has intelligence without any context, say because they're three days old, is only going to be smart enough to figure out how to get into trouble. They won't know why certain things are very, very bad ideas. And a human forgiving them for not knowing better, humoring them as they would a child who is indeed just learning, could get taken as insulting, and if a human treated a reploid like an adult, and expected them to know things that every human adult knew, than a repliod could get huffy since how were they supposed to know that... Reploids wouldn't have the major problem human teenagers have, which is that for most of our history and according to our instincts, a fifteen-year-old is supposed to be an adult and raising a family, and thus is supposed to start taking over from the people in their forties who need to be gently reminded that they're not healthy anymore and should go sit by the fire with the other old people while the adults manage the tribe...

Human children have 'obey the adults/don't run away from home' and so on instinctive PROGRAMMING to keep them from considering themselves adults until acknowledged by an adult. This is because it's a very bad idea for them to do what a reploid born yesterday is going to think they're expected to do: act as an adult when they don't have the hard knock experience to know how to deal with stuff. EVERY problem feels like the end of the world to someone who's never faced it before, and the maverick hunters and repliforce... Ow. Just ow.

Frankly, the best thing to do would have preventing reploids from being legal adults until they were at least five and placing them with foster families, either human or older reploids so they could be taught those skills and strategies. Going without a latency period is just going to make things worse for them in the long term, if they're able to survive that long without one. Of course that would ahve meant forbidding child labor, but that would only have been good long-term... but not really economically feasable if there was a cataclysm or Dr. Cain was thinking of them in terms of robot masters. Who likely had the same problems. If you're treated like a child but have an adult's duties placed on you at the same time, that goes horribly for modern teenagers.

Sorry about the rant, but I have not seen anyone else address this, and it's just really important. Favoriting and reccing.
Katrover Swatroad chapter 1 . 4/20/2004
Yes! Finally, a MMX fanfic where the humans are NOT jerks!
Your sentiments follow mine. I've always considered the humans to be the ones who were fair and the reploids who were being rebellious.
Lord Yellowtail chapter 1 . 7/24/2003
Hello. Sorry it took me so long to get this in. Every time I went to review, FFN was in one of its dead phases.

This is an excellent story. I really enjoy it every time I read it. I'll admit that, while I love action-y shoot-em-ups, my favorite Mega Man fanfics are the ones that delve into the deeper issues of what it means to be an artificial being in a world of humans. I try to touch on them in each of my action-y shoot-em-ups. :) Here, you've devoted an entire fic to it, with a very interesting (and uncommon) view of things. More on that in a moment.

It's nice to see something from Cain's POV. Most of the fics he's in characterize him is nothing more than a senile old pervert. It's rather frightening, really. I like seeing him a competent, introspective man.

As for your assertion that both the reploids and the humans are to blame for the state of things, I totally agree with that. Most of the time, we simply heap blame on the humans for being racist idiots and then scorn Siggy for becoming a murderous demagaogue, but pardon him in the end because, after all, the humans started it. As you've shown, this isn't quite the right way to look at it.

Humanity is to be faulted for letting its racist impulses get out of control, surely. Not that every human would be a predjudicial idiot ... a good number wouldn't be. And like you said, a new reploid is something with the brainpower of a super computer and the experience of an infant. These androids want equal rights because they feel they are as alive as the humans. But you give a child a bike and not a car because the child is far less likely to get himself killed learning to use the bike than he is the mass of powered steel. After years with the bike, he'll be ready to graduate to a higher level of existance.

But humanity should not over coddle the reploids - or leave the training wheels on too long, in other words. Give them the bikes and set them loose, and when they feel ready, they'll get in the cars. Mistakes will be made, but just like humans, reploids have a right to make those mistakes. It's the only way they'll learn. To try to prevent them from doing it is to deny them a part of their development. This must not be forgotten.

Great story! I'm really looking forward to the one on voting rights you mentioned. :)
Caedes chapter 1 . 2/28/2003
Oh, I like that story, because MM is one of my favourite games, but I often missed the relationship between reploids and human and you wrote something very interesting about it. That they react like rebellious teenager is a good comparison. I think the same way _

I hope you understand me because I'm German and I'm not used to write that language *drop*

Caedes

p.s."woman on a mission"? Why must I think about the band "GammaRay"?(perhaps you know them) They've got a song called "Man on a mission" *g*
demecowen chapter 1 . 2/28/2003
Great story! you one of few people that give a in-depth look in repliod and human relations.