Reviews for Pride and Prejudice
Polymer1 chapter 2 . 2/14
Well, that wasn't the ending that I was expecting.
Carling chapter 3 . 12/27/2013
Horrifically sad, but quite good. I normally can't stand Harry with Snape when the story is set in the usual HP universe, because then Snape is Harry's teacher and that makes it all a bit creepy to me, and it seems to me if there were to be a relationship between them, it would be more of a mentoring relationship. And of course there is the whole mess between Snape and Harry's mom to consider. But here, it all works. I may be in the minority but I did understand the situation with Padma and I did understand accept that things went wrong with Snape. What he ended up doing to Harry was decently foreshadowed throughout the story. Now, I'm not 100% sure what was going on in the author's mind as to why Snape rejected Harry. But any number of plausible explanations come to my mind, some of which were already mentioned in the reviews.

Snape clearly felt conflicted about his own orientation. He was always on the brink of self hate and lashing out where that was concerned. I do think he took Harry's rejection of his invitation to live in London as a rejection of commitment to him. He probably felt like this was a mere fling to Harry. Harry's rejection of London DID indeed seem like a complete, final and thorough rejection of everything Severus must have felt represented himself. If you add that to his pre existing massive insecurity about his sexuality, and his penchant for overreacting to everything the outcome was all but predicted.

The one thing that didn't make sense was why Severus would choose to delay his reaction until the evening. But the reaction itself was no surprise. He rejected Harry soundly without explanation the first time. Would it be logical to expect he'd give an explanation the second time?

The other possibility is that this was an elaborate form of revenge on Harry for warning Padma about Lucius. Snape clearly had already said some nasty things to Fudge about Harry the first time around. He may be fine with being gay, but wields his sexuality like a weapon, using society's religious based prejudice against gays as a convenient excuse to attack Harry, while keeping closeted, himself. He could have told a pack of lies to Fudge to influence Hermione to fire Harry. Hermione was not at any time wrapped too tight herself. The woman was all over the place. I think she was fine with Harry's sexuality when in her right mind, but her religious beliefs would overtake and freak her out. I can understand, having been raised in an evangelical fundamentalist sect myself and gone through the process of breaking away from their teachings and influence.
Fyreheart chapter 2 . 6/4/2013
I assume that Harry realized that Lucius was already married, since Severus referred to the Malfoys plural, so Lucius was only leading Padma on. I didn't understand the significance of Severus' full name in that conversation, though.

I don't understand at all what happened between Harry and Severus. Why did he turn cold when Harry wouldn't live with him in London? What possible excuse was there for his cruel and callous treatement of Harry later that night when he had been so warm and loving only hours earlier?

Why did Hermione throw Harry out and threaten to burn anything if it was still there the next day? Was his nature acceptable if it was hidden, but to be vilified if it was proven?

I feel quite a bit like Harry at the moment...confused and a bit betrayed. Even so, the writing was captivating. It's just the unanswered questions that leave me unsatisfied.
Aldryne21 chapter 2 . 12/29/2012
What a beautiful heartbreaking story! I tend to avoid stories written in first person, but I'm glad I was intrigued enough to try this one. The ending was abrupt and I confess I expected a happy ending with the whole reference to Pride and Prejudice but... Honestly this was so realistic and well done I can forgive you for that :) Thanks for writing this!
poppet15 chapter 3 . 9/22/2012
Several years late too the party as it were. Just had to say delightful read, even if it was rather heartbreaking in the end.
Nova Blink chapter 2 . 9/12/2012
What the bloody hell just happened? I'm so confused...D:

What was up with the whole Malfoy thing? What did he do?

Why did Snape have a bitch fit?

Why did Hermione ('you' was referring to her, right?) have a bitch fit?!

I don't understand. ;m; I just know I feel horrible for poor Harry...:(
TheObsessedMoronSociety chapter 2 . 8/25/2012
I'm still confused about the ending. When Snape left, did Hermione find Harry on the floor and fire him, or was it someone else?
pokemon-hogwarts4eva chapter 2 . 5/23/2011
bitter sweet ending
Saissister chapter 3 . 4/3/2011
did anyone write a sequal?
sweet-dirty chapter 2 . 1/15/2011
huh.

I guess i shouldn't have read some other reviews before leaving one myself ... but i interpreted the ending quite differently! i thought the 'you' was Hermione, and she was telling Harry to go to London, after Severus! and the whole burning his things-thing was just a threat to really make him leave soon!

guess i'm a sucker for happy endings then, eh?

And the people not understanding the padma-lucius thing ... well maybe they should read it again, or watch some more jane austen movies or something, because to me it was quite clear what happened there!

Great story anyway!
PartingDarkness chapter 3 . 1/3/2011
I really liked this story! I'm just curious, who was the person he was talking to at the very end? Hermione? also why did Snape just leave, I'm curious as to what his thought's where from when he left harry in the morning til the time he came back.
SweetlyDesolated chapter 2 . 12/28/2010
Did Hermione say the last bit, or Ron? Whomever, they were cruel. I admit to loving the ending; I suppose Severus saw Harry's dislike of the city as a way of rejection, and that built up in him until Severus broke Harry's heart? Very good.

~Deso
FatesMistake chapter 3 . 9/17/2010
Well don on making 'Mione a bitch at the end. I really thought that she'd eventually be happy that Harry found someone. I love Severus severely, but, this was well-written despite my feelings, and that's hard for anyone to say about their favorite character. I do wish I could see what happened that made Severus act like such a complete asshole there at the very end. In my mind, once he asked Harry to run away with him, he realized what he was doing, became confused, and ran to the church, a source of divine clarity in those days. I don't know why anyone would want this to have a sequel or a different ending, it's perfect the way it is, because then you can imagine it ended like Pride & Prejudice did. Harry ran away to find his one true, misses him by minutes, then by chance, "Lord Bentley" finds him and makes the decision that will make him happy the rest of his life. In a way, I do wish that the story was more like Pride & Prejudice, and with your permission to share the title, I'd like to write a story that is. May I have it? Your permission I mean?
Siraelka chapter 3 . 9/12/2010
Absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful. I do like happy-endings, but this was ... oooh, theres not enough superlatives for me to express my thoughts! :-D Anyway, thank you for the original plot, well-drawn characters, and strong ending. I especially liked that not everything was revealed and we can only wonder about the causes and the consequences.

Thanky you very much,

S.
Zilander Kat chapter 2 . 8/8/2010
Alright, I'm not even sure if I'm pissed at you and think the ending ruined everything...or if I'm in too much agony to write a coherent review that is fair to you and this fic...hm, okay:

First off, I really liked the fic in many ways, it was interesting and the characters were...well, they were interesting too, but they were a bit away from themselves in some ways too, but in a way that suited the story. I'm not sure I like how crushed Harry was in the end, and the voice at the ending reallllly confused me (I'm not gonna lie) even with your author's note, I was still feeling a bit wonky. But whatever, I can deal with that...I'm sure you wanted to throw us all, anyway. So well done on that job.

Wow, I'm still not sure how I feel about all of this, on one hand I wanna be real cruel and say I wasted a bit of my time reading this fic and hoping for the best ending, (this isn't true though, so I won't say it) and on the other hand I wanna say thank you for making me feel so much for Harry-and even for Severus-at the end...

This has to be the oddest review I've ever written, enjoy!

Cheers,