Reviews for A Storm of Swords: Knees Falling
Guest chapter 9 . 10/8/2017
more please
bassplayer123 chapter 9 . 10/8/2017
I'm assuming that Loras' death has made Renly more cold and ruthless right? Because OTL Renly was very frivolous and liked to fool around too often, but here he seems much more competent and willing to do anything to achieve his goals. In some ways, his current personality seems like a bastard combination of Robert's and Tywin's, but at the rate he's going I think he'd make a pretty decent king.

Also, it was smart of Renly to make Storm's End the seat of the crown prince like the Targaryens did with Dragonstone. I always thought Robert should have integrated the Stormlands into the Crownlands after he won the Rebellion, but this is just as good.
Aegon Blacksteel chapter 9 . 10/8/2017
So begins Renly's march across Westeros as his massive army begins to gobble up all the territories that oppose his reign as King. With Joffrey gone, the War of the Five Kings has come down to Robb, Balon and Renly. With every day that passes by Renly shadow seems to grow larger over Westeros.

It's interesting to see how Renly is gathering all of the Stormlanders by his side by naming his heir as Prince of Storm's End. It's a good way to emphasize the Stormlands' role in the Baratheon Dynasty which admittedly is something Robert should have done in the beginning if he hadn't been so lazy and given up ruling. Storm's End becomes the symbol of royal succession similar to what the Targaryens did to Dragonstone. Not to mention creating the narrative that Stannis was the Usurper who tried to deny Renly's claim by attempting to take over Storm's End.

It also demonstrates how Renly is a good master in image politics, he is a shady man who knows how to keep such dark deeds under wraps. Except when it comes to Stannis. Though the internal tensions between Baratheon and Tyrell will probably become a bigger problem even as Renly achieve's victory. I can't imagine Mace was happy being left behind at King"s Landing while Renly is off courting his allies and making new alliances.

That being said Margaery's statements about having sex were strange, to say the least especially since she was talking to Sansa. Renly being gay and presumably still mourning the death of Loras, makes me wonder if he even conceived a child with Margaery. Regardless as long as Renly has an heir, the Baratheon line seems secure even if it is really shaky.
The Jingo chapter 9 . 10/8/2017
Damn, Renly is cold.
lordrahl96 chapter 9 . 10/8/2017
doubt the babe father is renly. robb stark,ally with the your two armies can crush the traitor stewards!
Guest chapter 8 . 9/23/2017
Damn you, you monster (head held in hands crying softly).
Seriously Shireens death scene here is one the most tragic scenes I have read on this site and hit really hard. Truly great writing.
The betrayal itself was more or less expected given the position the Narrow See Houses finf themselves in.
Interested to see the wider ramifications of the event. Doran probably will send a letter along the lines of "we don't hurt little girls in Dorne", citing this event as reason for not sending Myrsella, therefore making Dorne and Renley enemies.
The Lannister claime is officially dead. Joffrey is certainly dead, Tommen presumed so (and will stay that way for a while most likely), the Seven Kingdoms are not going to just accept a ruling Queen (even if Tyrion where in any position to put here there). The Lannister are now just fighting for survival.
bassplayer123 chapter 8 . 9/9/2017
Wow, this really gives me some Red Wedding vibes only this time it's the Lannisters that are the victims instead of the Starks. Poor Shireen, she didn't deserve to die like that, but I hope Joffrey was gruesomely killed as well. I have to wonder though, why didn't Aurane Waters try to kill Lyle as well? Even if he thought Lyle was a peasant, shouldn't he try to silence Lyle to prevent word from spreading futher? And Lyle was right in front of him.
Aegon Blacksteel chapter 8 . 9/9/2017
Damn what a chapter to wait felt terribly long but it was worth it.

The betrayal felt sudden and shocking, especially since it's still relatively early in the story. But in retrospect, it's hard not to see it coming because you did a good job in Book 1, highlighting Dragonstone's treacherous politics. The Houses sworn to Dragonstone lost too many good men and don't want to be attached to a lost cause. I would want to say that Renly or the Tyrells planned this out since they are known for their scheming. It helps that Renly has plausible deniability since he is already heading to the Riverlands right now. But I can't help but think that Aurane Waters and other Houses decided to take the initiative just to gain favor with the Baratheon-Tyrell regime.

The treachery itself was a nice read, it gave out shades of the Red Wedding, in how you describe the carnage unfolding inside the Castle, and how many men were caught off guard and betrayed by their fellow men. I can't help but bad for Poor Shireen. Trying to do good to the very end.

Don't know what will happen to Strongbear, he went on a long voyage with Tommen to reach Dragonstone only to witness treachery first hand. Where does Lyle go from here, I don't know. He doesn't know where Tyrion is and doesn't know who to trust in the Westerlands. I guess across the Narrow Sea will be it, maybe Tommen can grow up and become the leader of a sellsword company.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joffrey was captured alive, just so Renly can have him executed in king's landing and can cement his rule and eliminate any pretenders to the throne. All that leaves if Myrcella in Dorne, which will be interesting in how Doran tries to use Myrcella as leverage to help undermine Renly.
Snarky Sonnet chapter 7 . 8/15/2017
I really like how you're continuing to show the smallfolk's perspective. Lannister, Baratheon, or Stark it doesn't really matter whose "side" you're on when all of them are equally adept at killing your family and burning your food. Oh Arya, I really hope things start looking up for her soon. Honestly, at this point I wonder if it's ever crossed her mind that she could go to Lord Tyrion and reveal herself as the daughter of Lord Stark. Of course Arya doesn't know that Tyrion at all and with the dwarfism stereotype probably thinks he's even more cruel than Joffrey. True, she'd be a captive but she'd certainly be treated far better. Thankfully, she's out of Pinkeye's dominion, and she's in much better shape under Jeyne. Can't wait to see what's going to happen next. This story is absolutely amazing, and I hope to see more of it soon!
Snarky Sonnet chapter 6 . 8/15/2017
Went back to Chapter 2 to check if Robert Brax was part of the "gathering" and yep, it looked like he was. Really makes the end of this chapter strike an ominous tone. You're really really good at writing out the political machinations of all the characters. Tyrion is making the right choice; he's a really astute fellow. Hopefully his reign at Casterly Rock will prove fruitful; one can only hope. It's really painful reading Tyrion's self-hatred of himself, especially since he's even more maimed than he is in canon, but I really like how you show that in every move Tyrion makes, he's always so painfully conscious of his dwarfism.
Snarky Sonnet chapter 5 . 8/15/2017
I can't fault Edmure for defying Robb and going out to defend the Riverland by himself, but I regret the fact that he did not wait until Robb had returned to do so. But I wonder why Robb had not relayed his plans to Edmure beforehand? Is it not important to keep your vassals, especially one that happens to be your uncle, in the know? Robb is a great strategist, but he does not appear to be the best political leader. I feel like half of what's going wrong for our characters is due to miscommunication or heck non-communication. That said, I'm glad Robb is returning to Winterfell. Like Lord Tywin, Robb knows that defending his own lands is paramount.
Snarky Sonnet chapter 4 . 8/15/2017
Really loved seeing Sansa's political acumen shine through, how she's seeing through all the pomp and circumstance of King Renly's court. Really impressed by King Renly's showmanship; it's almost like he and the army he led wasn't raping and pillaging King's Landing only a moment ago. If I didn't know any better, I would be cheering right alongside all the smallfolk. Really curious to see what Robb is going to do now that Tywin is dead and the Lannister forces are in disarray. Also can't count out Dorne yet of course, wonder how these events will change Doran's political mechanization.
Snarky Sonnet chapter 3 . 8/15/2017
Wow, this chapter broke my heart. So it was Arya, after all, but to hear all that cynicism and hopelessness coming from her was absolutely heartbreaking. She's a child, and she shouldn't be forced to make decisions like that, putting the well-being of others over her own. And all that idealism about Renly and Robb was just another stab in the heart. Poor girl. And that last sentence? Horrifying.
Snarky Sonnet chapter 2 . 8/15/2017
At first, I thought there must have been a slight miscommunication regarding Tywin's demise, but then Tywin began to mount his horse...SHIT. I really loved you showcasing hints of the brewing rebellion by the Westerland lords whose close relatives had perished in battle. Tywin, despite his fearsome reputation, is not all-powerful and naturally there would be dissent among the ranks if Tywin's actions prove detrimental to his vassals. I'm personally guessing that Tywin was Arya's last name, not Joffrey as I initially believed. Prince Tommen remains as adorable as always. He's really not suited for fighting and pillaging; he's really just a sweet boy who wants to play with his pets. It really boggles the mind that Tommen and Myrcella are related to Joffrey... Excellent chapter as always. I look forward to seeing more of this Lyle fellow.
Snarky Sonnet chapter 1 . 8/15/2017
What a promising start to the sequel! There's so much to unpack. I really loved the conversation between Tyrion and Selyse. Under a less talented writer, the dialogue would have been very lifeless. But I loved cogs turning in Tyrion's head, and I'm impressed of your characterization of Selyse- proud, defiant, resourceful. I really liked how you added the smallfolk's reaction after the royal fleet's disembarked. A really poignant remainder of the humanity of the smallfolk. They're just another body under the nobility's game of thrones, but they are people. Your portrayal of Joffrey as this sniveling, frightened boy-king is also very well-done. What a 180 degree turn from the Joffrey in canon! And the ending! What a shock! Can't wait to read the next chapters!
100 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »