Reviews for Cometh the Singer
Calenataure chapter 1 . 8/24
This is so beautiful and heart-wrenching at the same time! Never stop writing! 3
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 2/27/2012
Well done, excellent imagery!
Flesca chapter 1 . 2/5/2005
I read this story after reading "The Standard Bearer" and loving it to death - and I'm glad to say that this story did not disappoint! :P It was SOO good! It was kinda confusing since I haven't read the Silmarillion, but the depth of emotion and the wonderful descriptions was still very enjoyable. Good job! :)
Ren chapter 1 . 4/27/2004
Oh my God! This is so..wow. It's so graphic, and I can feel the emotions behind your words. It made me really think about the entire episode and the love between the two characters. I was in tears by the end of this. just wonderful.
AngryTolkienPurist chapter 1 . 4/4/2004
view/4767737/
This is so emotional. You're a very good writer.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 2/9/2004
Wonderfully clear and realistic, and yet that doesn't take away from the depth of emotion below the surface. Simply beautiful.
Gabriela-chan chapter 1 . 9/22/2003
Wow. That was...intense. Really intense. And very beautifully written. The details and descriptions you added are so vivid, and the inner thoughts and pains of the two really touch the reader.

This is several levels above and beyond any other treatment of the Fingon-rescues-Maedhros story I've ever read, and believe me, I've read quite a few good ones. This one not only has the heartbreaking emotion, it also has that sense of gritty, climbing-over-rocks-and-drinking-the-last-of-the-water realism, and that's what makes it really stand out.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 3/10/2003
I wonder how is it that, though this scene has been done so many times, it still can be original. My, this is lovely. Less heroic in the sense that it centers more, in a delightful way, in small details, but precisely because of this its all the more poignant. Oh, and the more "canonical" approach to the friendship is something quite rare in the subject; though I love the slash versions, this has the advantage of variation ;)
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 3/3/2003
Well, I think this story officially proves that a fic doesn't need to take an underwritten scene or characters in order to be original. I was drawn in the whole way through by the clarity of emotion that you write here. It's a scene that requires a willingness not to flinch from describing physical and emotional pain, and you do both very well. My favorite was the second last paragraph. Pain and love, well yes, that's what it's all about.

Hoping for more Sil-stories from you!
addicted chapter 1 . 3/2/2003
I don't if my first review showed up, the site is being strange. But to sum up what i said: very nice!
Lara7 chapter 1 . 3/2/2003
An impressively realistic look at these events. I like it that you added details like Fingon's weariness and Maedhros' raw wrist and his despair at seeing Fingolfin turn away again. It really draws attention to just how desperate the situation was for the two of them. Excellently written!
Finch chapter 1 . 3/2/2003
Yes, this has been done before (check the notes of Ch. 6 of my story Under the Curse for a list, though I'm not sure it's complete). But this is by no means the least among the Thangorodrim fics! What strikes me here is the description of Fingon's arduous and laborious search, the switches from hope to despair and back to hope again and the efforts of the eagle - I don't think anybody else paid so much attention to him as you do here. Great fic.
Jillian Baade chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
Wow. 3 things stand out about this short fic: the hardships Fingon endured to rescue his friend, no wonder this guy was called the Valiant! Maedhros' dispair that rescue was so close, yet seemingly impossible, and lastly the image of Maedhros, his wrist a bloody mangled mess. His hand was never going to work again even if Fingon hadn't had to cut it off! I don't know how you did it, but you put such a lot into such a little story, vivid images, such a range of emotions. Wow again!
BurningTyger chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
“By the love of Manwë,” he grieved, “How can I do this? And yet, in all mercy how can I not?”

Excellent angst; very well characterized. You've shown the scene exactly how I've always seen it.