Reviews for Harry Potter and the Unexpected Friend
TomHRichardson chapter 19 . 9/18
I normally shy away from stories that are over a hundred thousand words—usually the stories are rambling and disorganised. But this story is impressive, all kinds of ways. This is the story I would have written (I hope!) if I had thought of it first.

I like the AU part of this story, that it is not merely a rehash of canon with some names changed. The events changing in this story from how they played out in canon, is well thought out.
GF chapter 18 . 9/15
I don't think I've ever read one of these where Dum-old-dork wasn't the official 'witness' to the Will, making him complicit in the placing of Harry at his aunt's house. Guess we'll see what comes from that, huh?
GF chapter 13 . 9/12
Omake:
"was there any other time the Headmaster wanted you to do things?"
" well, this one time he asked me to turn around and pull my robes up as far as I could. Seemed silly really. But he seemed angry I had jeans and a sweater on, underneath. He mumbled something about damned muggles, and said never mind."
"this one other time, he wanted me to sit on his lap, and we would just talk about 'whatever comes up'. I said no, and he almost reached for his wand, but I think he changed his mind. Again, he mumbled something about having to conjure a goat, again? Weird, huh?"
G F chapter 11 . 9/10
to the reviewer freaking out about Harry's money, and having enough, and why is he buying clothes AND worrying about his bank balance...
You are a moron... AND you cannot read, either.

All Harry thinks (not says aloud) is, 'Dobby can get me a bank statement. I MAY need to budget my money for the next five years.' Which is totally responsible, and a good idea for anyone. I guarantee both Malfoy Sr. and Mr. Greengrass BOTH know, down to the knut, what they have in their vaults, how much the constant upkeep of their Manors requires, and the amounts of any allowances or secondary vaults their wives and children can access.
I think you would find, that the amount of concern for 'money issues' actually goes UP, with the amount of money you have. I may fritter away my next 'extra' twenty on something frivolous, whereas 'percentage wise' that may be equal to a million for Bill Gates, and he isn't going to blow it as freely. (Then again, maybe he lights cigars with hundred dollar bills. I don't know)

PS- I saw a Netflix movie, forget the title, that had soldiers stuck on a mountain top, each with millions in cash, stuffed in great big duffel bags, they had taken from some drug Lord they killed. It got so cold on the mountain they each had to BURN most of their money, just to stay warm (and alive). There's the value of money for you. When the paper it's printed on is of more value than the 'numbers' it represents, in a life and death situation.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 1 . 8/18
Read marker
Lerris chapter 19 . 8/16
This is pretty good. It is kind of a toss up for a favorite, since I probably wouldn't read it again anytime soon, but I think it nonetheless fits.
AlaskanKing chapter 19 . 8/2
Excellent story, I look forward to reading the next one. However, I wonder why you seemed to have completely skipped Quidditch. With the Basilisk dealt with so early, the season wouldn't have been cancelled like in the books.
Teufel1987 chapter 2 . 7/25
Nice chapter.

A few things, though:

1. I don't really think there is anything too obvious about the fight between Arthur and Lucius for Harry and Daphne or any other character to think twice about it. For one, it was Arthur Weasley who took a swing at Malfoy. Lucius was being his usual self, look at the fourth book, he loves to taunt people using innuendo and softly uttered insults that only they can hear.
It's a standard tactic of such people; they get a rise out of their victims by insulting them in low tones so that when their victim retaliates, the victim looks bad in the eyes of all witnesses. Because while most onlookers won't be paying any attention to insults hurled at normal volumes, they certainly will notice a punch or a spell being thrown in anger.
In fact, when you first read the book, you too probably didn't think too much about the fight till Harry had his revelation aided by Dobby.
So I don't really see any reason for Harry or Daphne to connect any dots or take any note of that altercation. Arthur Weasley threw the first punch after all.

2. Daphne's point about Ron's wand is right, however, Harry knows that Ron's family can't afford a wand, and that they won't take charity. Harry is also a twelve year old boy who doesn't really know what else to do other than make an offer he knows will be refused, so he will not make that offer out of respect to his friend and his friend's parents. So I don't really think he would even bother to broach that topic with Ron at all. Getting a replacement wand came up as a topic between the three friends early on in the book, and it was shot down by Ron.
Sujeeth chapter 19 . 7/15
Great fic, excited for the sequel.
Mischief101 chapter 19 . 7/11
I loved this story. Most of the Harry/Daphne stories I've read, which haven't been a lot yet, tend to have Ron and Hermione as horrible people. I like that you kept them as friend including Neville and acknowledged their flaws but didn't focus on them.
Moderntimes 101 chapter 14 . 7/10
Currently reading your great story a second time. I’m wondering if it’s really possible to use Polyjuice to become someone who’s dead.
apAidan chapter 19 . 7/3
An excellent story, and what a prologue you've woven. Catching up and starting the next installment

ap Aidan
Hortensia chapter 19 . 7/3
Good story, I’ve really enjoyed reading this. It’s well written and Harry does need some influencing and encouragement to become the guy he was supposed to be.
Teufel1987 chapter 1 . 6/30
Nice.

Small issue: in the fifth book, we learn that Ron, and Hermione had no idea about Neville's parents till they stumbled upon them in St Mungo's. Both were quite clueless. Harry was even forced to admit that he had known about their fates for close to a year, but chose not to reveal the same to his friends out of respect for Neville's privacy.
Murphz chapter 2 . 6/28
I’m gonna keep reading, but I’m getting a little annoyed at daphne she is basically using emotional blackmail and his naivety to take advantage of him.