Reviews for Harry Potter and the Unexpected Friend
Matt9917 chapter 4 . 12/30/2020
Bloody Harry and his posse, just can't seem to wanna go anywhere without them.
pudentane chapter 19 . 12/20/2020
Great story. Thank you for sharing your talent.
Books85 chapter 19 . 12/10/2020
This was really a fun read, thAnk you.
Thanks also for giving me the clue to help me remember the author of a half forgotten fantasy series; Zelazany's Princes of Amber. (Hmmm... it may have been a different one of your stories that brought Amber to mind)
Thank you for hours of reading pleasure.
TennysonPoet chapter 1 . 11/18/2020
Review part 2 now I am at the end of the story.

Really good story but too much Daphne being able to do everything that Hermione or other characters normally do. I think Daphne is overplayed here. I understand the relationship but its all OTT and at the expense of other friends. I had to struggle through the last few chapters. I want to read the second in the unexpected series and am hopeful it improves.
TennysonPoet chapter 8 . 11/17/2020
Am enjoying reading but I was concerned it was going to be the Daphne and Harry show and I didn't think it fair to cut out his friends which is something Harry would not do. Then almost the next couple of paragraphs was about the friends coming in and I was well pleased. It is a great fic and fingers crossed it continues currently on chapter 8.
Scythal chapter 19 . 11/1/2020
Hi,
it was a really good story to read.

Thank you.
Scythal chapter 4 . 10/31/2020
Hi,

Just to point a slight translation mistake: vol de mort flight OF death in witch case the deaths) eaters are a more logical title for his minions.

Still a nice story so far.
Kelkat chapter 19 . 10/29/2020
Good story
emily4498 chapter 19 . 10/30/2020
I love this so much! A great job and I'm on to the sequel!
Semi-Immortal Cat Akumu chapter 13 . 10/11/2020
Only one negative you American we brits use the word trousers but that's just me being British while these characters are British.
Thank you for the chapter.
~ Akumu, The Semi-Immortal Cat
Tenjo chapter 10 . 10/9/2020
My theory about how Harry survived is a mixture of what Dumbledore says (sacrifice) and what quite a few fanfics say (runes). I don’t think she created a method to block the killing curse, but I also don’t think mere sacrifice is enough since any parent would have done that for their child and no doubt many did. So what’s the difference? Well, I think it has to do with the fact that Lily didn’t act in the heat of the moment, jumping in front of a curse; she resolutely refused to move out of the way and that only mattered because Riddle didn’t WANT to kill Lily. For whatever reason (a certain greasy git) Riddle offered to spare her and we can take some liberties here and say he offered to spare her, and was rejected three times. Three is not only a powerful magical number, it’s also mentioned in the prophecy AND it solidifies just how strong her will was. All of that combined resulted in the ancient, intent based magicks and burnt an inverted sowilo rune onto Harry’s head. There’s even numerous possible reasons for why the tune was inverted, but my personal favourite is that it’s a representation of life lost to power it, since one of the actual rune’s meanings is life.

This theory makes most sense to me because despite Dumbledore’s theory, there was no other instance of it happening when there HAD to have been parents sacrificing themselves for their kids and unlike the fandom’s theory, it’s not a method that can just be emulated by anyone with knowledge of runes. It’s almost like it was fate, which again ties into the prophecy.

I may hate prophecies in stories, but it’s so deeply entrenched in HP that it’s part of almost every explanation.
Tenjo chapter 6 . 10/9/2020
Putting aside the fact you made up a whole non-canonical system (there’s no ancient or noble houses in canon and no lords or ladies) to paint the HP world as sexist when it very clearly isn’t (Merlin and Morgana, two of the four highly respected founders are women, there has been many female ministers and directors of entire ministerial departments, hell, even in Voldemort’s base his right hand is a woman)... putting aside all of that, how the hell does Daphne even know the word ‘sexist’? I actually looked it up because it sounded weird and like I thought, it was a term coined in the 60s and even then, the concept was fairly obscure until the 70s and 80s. How exactly does Daphne, a pure-blood whose parents can’t even navigate the muggle world, know about such an obscure and recent muggle concept? The stuff I said to put to the side is actually more of an issue than this, but that’s just your creative liberty whereas this makes no sense.

I know it was no reason to rant, but I’m frankly too tired to care about being reasonable. Sorry regardless.
TomHRichardson chapter 19 . 9/18/2020
I normally shy away from stories that are over a hundred thousand words—usually the stories are rambling and disorganised. But this story is impressive, all kinds of ways. This is the story I would have written (I hope!) if I had thought of it first.

I like the AU part of this story, that it is not merely a rehash of canon with some names changed. The events changing in this story from how they played out in canon, is well thought out.
GF chapter 18 . 9/15/2020
I don't think I've ever read one of these where Dum-old-dork wasn't the official 'witness' to the Will, making him complicit in the placing of Harry at his aunt's house. Guess we'll see what comes from that, huh?
GF chapter 13 . 9/12/2020
Omake:
"was there any other time the Headmaster wanted you to do things?"
" well, this one time he asked me to turn around and pull my robes up as far as I could. Seemed silly really. But he seemed angry I had jeans and a sweater on, underneath. He mumbled something about damned muggles, and said never mind."
"this one other time, he wanted me to sit on his lap, and we would just talk about 'whatever comes up'. I said no, and he almost reached for his wand, but I think he changed his mind. Again, he mumbled something about having to conjure a goat, again? Weird, huh?"
696 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »